Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Every time I buy a bike I promise myself: "SHORTY LEVERS". Then, somehow I forget and get used to the "broomsticks". Silly old farts .... some of us ....
    Same here
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Finally part of the Aprilia club,will upload some good pics tomorrow ,just got home.

Name:  IMG_20160118_192923.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  42.2 KB

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Just one shot of me at Big Z on the 12th January.
    This was in the first session on lap 3 or 4 according to the photographer.
    Name:  C0171.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  61.7 KB

And a vid I took with my Garmin Virb Elite mounted under the seat. Too many electronics under the seat and cloudy skies made the GPS readings totally wonky:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnqRcjneUow
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Name:  643U0163.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  83.1 KB
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Very sweet!

Bike
    Duke 390 - UAE
    Region
    Outside South Africa

need more pics where its leaned over though :P

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks guys!

Will add more pics tonight and some other info on stuff and my experience so far with the T.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

So, on to a bit of a story about my ownership bliss with this yellow monster -

I got it on the 6th November 2015 with 10 002km on the clock:
    Name:  20151104_130713.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  32.5 KB

Where it was standing at Race Preperations in Hatfield:
    Name:  20151105_145919.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  58.1 KB

Now I had seen this bike on numerous occasions at the shop as the previous owner tried a few times to sell it there.
    My luck held up and I bit the .50 BMG bullet and bought it.

I have never been happier with a bike. I have owned a few different bikes in a past, but the Tuono suits my riding style and me perfectly.
    And the yellow versions are pretty scarce here in SA, so it does stand out in a crowd or anywhere else.

Right....... power - insane. Nothing else to say except this thing hauls ass quite nicely and can stick with (and beat some) 1000cc superbikes on the road up to very silly speeds and nail them to the wall on track as I have experienced on track days (as can be seen in the vid I will post at the end of this post).
    Power delivery is smooth and linear from 4000rpm with no drop off until just before 12 000rpm (rev limiter is 12 400rpm).
    So a nice 8000rpm "powerband" from this 1000cc V4 motor is nothing to sneeze at. From 6500rpm it picks up and scoots off like some mad wailing banshee that's ice cream was just stolen.
    Midrange torque is also amazing, helped along by the bike only weighing 200kg.
    Handling is sublime. I spent a while setting up the fully adjustable suspension and it now handles like a dream on road or track.
    Everything about this bike makes me smile, and considering the price I paid for it, it was a steal. R110K for this bike was an absolute bargain.

Mileage is now sitting at 19 761km and no issues at all except for an LED indicator that decided to stop working one night.
    So, that makes it 9759km done by me in the last almost 5 months.
    Average of 1951.5km per month.

I use it to commute for jobs between Pta and Boksburg/Benoni/Kempton/Roodepoort/Midrand/wherever else.
    Even ridden in storms a few times and no issues at all except getting wet and dirty.
    Is it comfortable? After I fitted the Luimoto seat covers, it is much better as the stock covers are *** slippery.
    Stock seat covers:
    Name:  20151105_145919.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  58.1 KB

Luimoto seat covers from AF1 Racing:
    Name:  20160310_125727.jpg
Size:  49.3 KB

Trackdays have been limited to Big Z one and Redstar once.

I was truely amazed at it's performance at Redstar. The mix of tight and open flowing corners and the 3 lekker straights meant I could go for it and see what the T could do.
    First session I was taking it easy and learnt the track. It is a tricky circuit and will bite you hard.

My first session results (transponder number 86):
    Name:  20160319_095551.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  44.8 KB

Second session was the same as the first, but quickest time was 0.5 seconds quicker than the first session:
    Name:  20160319_122931.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  54.0 KB
    Still not bad going for my first time ever riding Redstar.

Before the third session I was chatting to a few instructors and 3 dudes who ride there regularly and then went out and tried to remember all the very valuable info.

This was the result of putting info to good use:
    Name:  20160319_122938.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  54.6 KB

To say I was happy is a serious understatement. 10 seconds quicker is a huge accomplishment.

Some random shots taken by Gerrit Erasmus from Beam Productions who snapped some shots at Redstar:
    First session cornering stuff and taking it easy:
    Name:  _DSC5399.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  52.8 KB

Third session going for it:
    Name:  _DSC5631.jpg
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  _DSC6162.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  _DSC6201.jpg
Size:  56.5 KB

I am happy with the Tuono. Very happy.
    Have I found the limits of what this bike can do? Not by a long shot. This bike has bigger balls than I do.
    Is it a sensible commuter? Some would say no, but it does the job perfectly fine for me.
    And I can go do trackdays safe in the knowledge that it is more than capable enough of holding it own against dedicated sprotsbikes.
    Fuel consumption? Varies between 3.9L/100 when cruising at 100kmh to something like 12 when hooligan mode kicks in. Typical Italian bike that can drink the motion lotion like a sailor when ridden in anger.

Overall, I do not have enough thumbs to stick in the air of what I think about this bike.

And the vid of the complete first session at Redstar:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTbj73sV0M

I have to edit the third session vid, but have not had time to do so yet.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

So, three months after my scary accident that happened on the 25th April 2017 (I got the date wrong on the thread, meds were playing tricks on my mind still: http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthr...uesday-2nd-May), I have been slowly getting the bike in running order again.

Doing all the work myself, because I can.

Pics of the damage can be seen in the thread link above.

I am turning the Tuono into an RSV4-clone and going to use it as a dedicated track-only bike.
    So far I have sourced an RSV4 track bodykit whic includes the tail section, complete fairings, etc.
    Bought new Woodcraft rearsets, clipons, seat pad, lever guards, etc.
    Ordered a new dash, lockset which includes new ignition barrel, fuel cap and seat lock (the dash and ignition barrel are both FUBAR), RSV4 fairing stay and a few brackets today.

GFP International in Slaapstad is supplying me with all the GFP parts.

Some pics of how the fixing process is progressing:

And I did weigh the parts I took off and compared them to the weight of the RSV4 parts. Headlight fairing with lights, fairing brackets, hooter, etc and the rear seat unit including passenger seat, tail light, flickers, tail tidy, etc.
    So far I have dropped 16kg off the bike. So from 205kg with a full tank of fuel to around 189kg is a good thing on a track bike. And most of the weight was the front fairing and headlights and the tail section. So all the top end heavy stuff is now gone so it will make the bike handle MUCH better.

And the nice thing about doing a Tuono to RSV4 conversion is all the bits bolt on with no issues. Some minor mods like moving the brake fluid reservoir to a more upright position with a small bracket, and making three brackets for the belly pan makes it a simple mod to do.

And I am going to have it painted (sponsored paintjob) like the RSV4 R-FW race bike.

I will update this thread as I go along.
    I am having the cast taken off on the 7th August and then the process of learning to walk again will start.

Bike will take time to fix, but I am patient. Bring on 2018 when I will go rip it up at the track in anger.

And I am not shy to say this, but total cost for all the fixing up work totals R27 800. That is a mixture of the second hand fairing kit and new parts. Not bad considering it is an Italian bike. I know people who have spent double that on Jap bikes after less damage.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

And this was me in happier times on the 18th march at Kyalami:

Did a best lap of 2'08.444" on street oriented Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tyres. Surprised a LOT of the other riders. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

These are the parts that are incoming from AF1 Racing in the US.

New dash will show 0km, so it will be a fresh start for the RSV4 clone:

New lockset. The original ignition barrel is FUBAR from the accident. The keys also have transponders and work with the immobiliser in the dash:

New screen for the race fairing:

New RSV4 fairing stay so the top fairing can be held in place:

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

The fairing stay and other parts will be here next Tuesday, but I decided to screw around a bit and check what the fairing and side panels will look like on the bike:

Just waiting for the bellypan from the guy I bought the bodykit from, and then next week the panels go in for the paintjob.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

Looks really good actually! Good luck!

If you have any Tuono parts you'd like to sell, let me know

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Arktic View Post
    Looks really good actually! Good luck!

If you have any Tuono parts you'd like to sell, let me know
    Thanks Arktik

The only parts that survived relatively unscathed is the right side fairing panel and the bellypan. The rest is toast.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    Thanks Arktik

The only parts that survived relatively unscathed is the right side fairing panel and the bellypan. The rest is toast.
    Ah damn sorry to hear! Im looking for some OEM levers. I dont like the shorty levers that came with my bike.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Got the lockset, dash, screen and fairing stay from AF1 Racing:

Fairing stay and new ignition barrel, fuel cap and dash fitted:

This all just trial fitted to check fitment (except the screen that was just slid in between dash and fairing).
    I will neaten up the wiring, reroute the clutch cable and throttle cables, make a bracket for the brake fluid reservoir, and make sure everything works first before doing the final steps.

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Forgot to add this pic to the last post.

Original dash vs new dash:

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    Still sounding awesome.