Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour Biker

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Ek is baie gefokus op pad veiligheid en alles daarmee te make. Ek wil graag aan sulke inisiatiewe deelneem en dit is hoofsaaklik waarom ek op die forum is. So tussen die depressie die laaste tyd, lees mens weer van iemand wat jou terug bring aarde toe. In die November 2015 uitgawe van myFiets tydskrif doen Elmar le Roux weer die nodige. In sy brief vertel Elmar van die Sondag diens en die rakende boodskap... oor die tong en die goed en kwaad wat dit kan aanrig. Ja, ek ook mens is ook skuldig daaraan. Hierby sluit die "keyboard" van die rekenaar aan.

So het ek noual dit ook reg gekry om in die emosie van die oomblik iets te sê, of te skryf waaroor ek spyt kry, maar die mooi ding is die besef daaraan en nog die kans om dalk iets daaraan te doen. Maak dit reg... ook soos die Groot boek sê, voordat jy die tydelike met die ewige verwissel.

Ek wil graag vir die wat ek te na gekom het, of "seer gemaak" het om verskoning vra. Opreg. Die lewe is te kort en kosbaar om met verwyte te loop en die wete dat daar ongeruimhede bestaan. Ek staan nou nederig voor my tekortkominge. Vergewe my asseblief.

Ek is dankbaar dat ek iewers nog 'n bydra kan maak. My blog 's 'n goeie platform. Ek het 'n toepaslike bladsy om die goed wat ek soms doen iewers bymekaar te sit.
    http://yamahavirago400.blogspot.co.z...lications.html

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Ja, Elmar se artikel maak mens nederig en herinner mens aan alles wat eintlik belangrik is.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

Wat n mooi geskryfde brief en gedagtes. I enjoyed reading it. Talented writing skills and a way with words for a sheep farmer. He reminds me of my late uncle who spent his life farming angora goats in the eastern karoo, with a classical PhD. in Latin and Greek from Princeton!

I am a little concerned that Elmar may have eaten all that sausage himself though.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Also enjoyed your article Johan. Nicely written.

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Also enjoyed your article Johan. Nicely written.
    Thanks. I try and share DIY ideas. Panniers is a bit expensive and should one use a bit of creativity, one can come up with something good looking and practical. I can say I did come up with tour stuff one can call universal. A plan that could work on any bike. Sadly the Loncin didn't go. The youngster got a learners license, but the parents doesn't approve. I told him yesterday to honor their decision and not to "push" it. There's more involved to it than just buying a cheap bike. What about training and insurance. He seem to understand that now. The problem in our area is, no proper riding training available. Lots of bikes in town, but a huge "gap" in riding clubs and training. The kid's in town, on two wheels, does scary stuff. I want to see if I could get a group going and invite someone like Paul to give an introduction... Just thinking here...

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Maybe someone knows this hardware or software. I got a TV card for my PC. Its nice to record TV and any video from old VHS tapes and what ever. It works very nice. The only hick-up, the output file is extremely big. As example, a hour recording would be more than a gig. Does someone know this and how to reduce the output file size?
    TV Card.jpg

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Honda NC750x & Honda NC750xd
    Region
    Free State

Download format factory to convert and shrink the output files
    http:\\www.pcfreetime.com

Sent from my Note 3 using TapaTalk
    Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
    Download format factory to convert and shrink the output files
    http:\\www.pcfreetime.com

Thanks for the link to format factory. I figured the download on the software as they call it... MP1 to 4. It was on 2. After setting it to MP1, the downloaded file is much smaller but terrible quality. There is a large list of outputs... and to find the perfect one. It doesn't have WMV high quality, witch usually work best with direct editing, without the need to convert.

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Honda NC750x & Honda NC750xd
    Region
    Free State

Install a decent codecs.pack. FF pick that up and should give you more options

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Isn't the technological pace going fast... It took me some time to upgrade my PC. Thinking I now have something grand! hehehe... Still old! I can watch TV on my PC, do this and that... but just like a phone... no good in no time. hehehe

Some time ago I got a phone, one of these black berry things... more knobs for fat fingers. Soon realize, cant do much with it as Jellybean or what ever become Marsh-mellows! Got rid of it.

Playing Ham radio on my PC, no need to have hardware (radios, antennas, amplifiers and PSU's) one can communicate using VOIP all over the world. The pace that web developers adapt software is just phenomenal! A year or so ago I use to ran a Ham Remote. Soon the hardware for the server was out of date and my remote was through off the air. No choice in the matter. Lately I got a PC upgrade and decided to retry the Remote software... Guess what... The requirements even got more!

What's the point in upgrading a PC or phone.... every 6 months? As long as XP work... a PEP stores phone... I still have much more than many of the unprivileged people in this country.

The question... Isn't communications technology making the filthy rich, richer?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

The only issue is, the further you fall behind, the more expensive it becomes to catch up.

Slowed to four wheels Speed Devil's Avatar
    Bike
    Triumph Sprint GT 1050 Ver2.0 (Guiliana)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    The only issue is, the further you fall behind, the more expensive it becomes to catch up.
    That is unfortunately the sad truth. It is no longer about keeping up with the Jones', but for anybody who is tech savvy and relies on technology to run a business, do their work or simply run their everyday life you need to be on the top of the latest technology., otherwise very soon software is no longer compatible or devices don't connect and work with each other.

Don't take life too seriously....nobody gets out alive!!!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Just thinking here... A different Tour Biker look.
    Too Big.jpg
    Too Big 2.JPG
    Something like this....
    Like this 1.jpgLike This 2.jpg
    This morning I have dumb fingers uploading pictures...

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

An exited post... Due to the Loncin that found a new home, I was sponsored another tour. Thanks to someone from the forum and from the Think Bike community.

At this point I've got my thinking cap on. This tour, in the planning, can cover a distance of approximately JHB and back on a 7 day adventure. Maybe the TB training venue on the 5th or something, not sure yet. Convince me to a great destination! One where one meets bikers as well!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Tour idea 1: Noordoewer to Oranjemund

Most of the East coast and inland to JHB is in rain season. A bike tour might be uncomfortable this time of year on that particular route and also considering camping options. Rain and camping don’t blend very well.

Thinking about an objective. It should be some adventure to travel along the Orange River Namibia side towards the ocean. Sometimes close to the river and sometimes away from it, creating photo and video opportunities of amazing landscapes.

With a bit of planning one can use some established river front campsites and an opportunity to overnight in the wild. An objective in a quite environment, to rest and relax the soul and enjoy the passion of biking.

Most of the route is dirt and with caution, I can navigate it with the cruiser. I have many times traveled from Noordoewer to Aussenkehr. This section is tar and amazing campsites and river views. Many, many moons ago, I drove a luxury tour bus on that section to somewhere on route to Sendlingsdrif to pick up a group that went on a river adventure.

The new territory in an unfamiliar area would be from the C13 turnoff to Oranjemund, Alex to Port Nolloth, that I’ve never seen. Port Nolloth and McD bay, I’ve seen.
    Ladismith na Noordower.jpg Noord Na Oranje Toer Hoogtepunt.jpg Oranjemund to Ladismith.jpg
    Maybe one of you has done this route before and can make some suggestions.
    Felix river camps with lots of activities and services quoted R150 pp pn, camping.

Logistics:
    Distance: 878 + 992 + 233 = 2 103 km.
    Estimated fuel cost: R900 – R1000
    Accommodation: 5 nights out @ R 600 camping options
    Food & Drink: R600
    Estimated tour total: R 2 200
    This is idea No.2, JHB in rain season.

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Follow my footprint Tour

I suppose my life story. Would it be nice if someone can video me, doing it?

I was born in Stellenbosh 22 March 1964. I still have my hospital card…. Baby du Toit.

This would take me to my first steps in Firgrove, the house is still there, close to the Escom sub station. I have many silent 8mm video clips of the family and me at that house. In 1966 the group areas act declared Firgrove a “colored” area. Escom build a new house in Westridge, Somerset West, where I actually grew up. Living there, the house in 24 Nerina Avenue. Those years a new area, all dirt streets!

My buddy lived in Arum Avenue; he was the one that got me into biking. Primary school, De Hoop and high school at Bellville Technical High School. Matriculated 1983. I rode my Suzuki GT50E to school and back…

After school I attended Huguenot College in Wellington to study Social work. It didn’t work out due to religion. The college those years was based on the basis of the Dutch Reformed Church and me… from a different religion… it didn’t work out.

At the time, National Service was compulsory and I walked into the gates of AA in Yougsfield, January 86 intake. Cleared out a Gunner in Dec 87. For a few months I was working on Inter City busses as a driver till the army highjacked me for border duty.

Up to this point I can easily follow my footprint!

I served duty as a camper in the Ondangwa region from September to November of 1988. I earned rank and cleared out a one liner only to join PF in December of 89 and received the second stripe as part of the parcel. During border service I earned a few “gongs”.

My dad retired and the family moved to Ladismith… the place I call home today.

Back to my footprint.

I will never forget this day… During the passing-out parade after basics, of the 90 intake, I was part of the Colors carriers, a chrome R1… in full field dress colors, affiliation belt, krawat, putties… gong’s and all… I had more gong’s than the reverent that stood next to the unit OC. Afterwards the troops ask me… Yes, I saw a war.

During this time I met my first fiancé. She lived in Melkbos and had a brother that was visually impaired. He was in Pionier School in Worcester. I commuted with a bike, or my Ford Cortina 3l bakkie at the time. My bike was a MB50, until Hendrik, my fiancé’s brother decided to ride without permission and crashed himself into hospital. That was the end of the bike and engagement. My dearest EX fiancé, I’m innocent and would never have allowed your visually impaired brother to ride my bike!

The next leg of my footprints go to Kimberley.

AA relocated to the old Danie Theron base in Kimberley. Development of the Cape Flats created no more Swartklip shooting range for AA guns. I was the first member of AA to move permanently to Kimberley.

I met my wife to be. Michelle had a Down syndrome kid, Jean, that I raised as my own. We were a happy family. We belonged to the CCSA caravan club, had a boat to enjoy weekend riverfront rallies, and we even lived in town… Not in the military base like most! I drove a 280 SE Merc, called “Groenie” and… everything….

My duties as instructor kept me away from home as much as one can imagine a military life. I suppose this is the part I don’t want to tour again… However the places is amazing… Schmidsdrift, Lohatla… the Northern Cape… Something will always take me back there!

In 1994, the first democratic election in SA. The SANDF integrated with MK. My unit OC and RSM resigned… nearly half of the PF members resigned… and so did I.

Divorced and broken, I worked for Elwierda Tours in Stellenbosh. I lived in my caravan. Can you imagine starting a life over? I worked for Fairest Cape and became a tourist guide working mostly Bulgarian, German and Dutch groups.

When Fairest Cape closed I lost interest in tourism and started trucking. Fast money in a fast pace world. Poprivet was born!

Poprivet died with the second truck accident that nearly took my life. I was cut from wreckage… 80 km before Bloemfontein on the N1 North. I lost my best friend and collogue. Colin, I remember you.

How can one tour your footprints? I want to do it. I’m not ashamed of any choices I made in life. I don’t regret those I’ve met. I don’t hold grudges to those I’ve loved. I have no enemy’s!

I miss my kid, Jean, that passed of natural causes in January 2014. I love you my boy. You are special and in God’s hands… an angel!

I need to tour my footprints!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Clayton... not Colin... at the emotional moment my mind was somewhere else. Clayton, your smile and laughter is fresh in my memory!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

I just received an e-mail about my posting. I'm sorry if it came over the wrong way. It wasn't my intention to create as you call it "sentimental %$#@..." I merely express my feelings. I have nothing to hide, like I explained to you in the reply. My e-mail is known to all, that follows me. From my ham-call my personal information is all over the web. From my blog link in my signature, everything is in the open. I have nothing to hide and live a open honest lifestyle. I'm sorry if you feel discomfort... if so forward a complaint to the moderators and have the above removed. Thanks.

Bike
    Honda NC700X
    Region
    Gauteng

Erm...
    1st off thanks for the walk down your memory lane TB..
    2nd...
    Whoever complained it needs to get a life and hopefully one day have something to say.
    Your thread...my choice to read it
    Thanks again for sharing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    For some there's therapy, for the rest of us there's riding!

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

How on earth can anyone complain about this?

Thanks for sharing Johan. Your openess, as always, is quite refreshing. Nice to know you better.