Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Direct Bike Imports

  1. #21
    Little frunker. Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Snazzy scooter...
    Ricers are bikers too!

  2. #22
    F...R...U...N...K M...E Booster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NOT Randburg
    Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Snazzy scooter...
    Sort of.

    If you have time, go google Feet Forward motorcycles.

    It is a very interesting history and concept.

    What I like is Honda's innovation. They always try something new, even if it isn't popular.

    Examples: Pacific Coast, NC range, Deauville, Vultus

  3. #23
    Az Dawg

    -Az-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parklands
    Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    5,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Examples: Pacific Coast,
    Bad example... 800cc scooter with a fuel tank the size of a small tupperware making it useless to go further than the local shop

  4. #24
    Little frunker. Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Sort of.

    If you have time, go google Feet Forward motorcycles.
    Hey! I didnt say Snazzy scooters are bad!
    Ricers are bikers too!

  5. #25
    Little frunker. Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Does it look like a bike that would have auditioned to be used in the judge Dredd movies to anyone else?
    Ricers are bikers too!

  6. #26
    Az Dawg

    -Az-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parklands
    Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    5,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Does it look like a bike that would have auditioned to be used in the judge Dredd movies to anyone else?
    that's the reason I like it

  7. #27
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Well I googled "Feet Forward" motorcycling and read the Wikipedia article as suggested above.

    Booster there is nothing there to suggest this is worth going out of your way for? The article concludes:
    "A number of FF concepts have been tried, but so far a commercially successful design has not appeared."
    Hardly a recommendation?

    Thanks for the detailed explanation Rehann. It's a pity that when Honda deems something not worth importing no other entrepreneur can do so. Sounds like the legislation supports ant-competitve behaviour.

  8. #28
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation Rehann. It's a pity that when Honda deems something not worth importing no other entrepreneur can do so. Sounds like the legislation supports ant-competitve behaviour.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Consumer protection. Over the years, we have seen thousands ripped off by grey imports. From bikes to VCR's and so forth.

  9. #29
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Consumer protection. Over the years, we have seen thousands ripped off by grey imports. From bikes to VCR's and so forth.
    Yes, that's also true. And why Tour biker is struggling to get parts.

  10. #30
    Adventure Biker
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Yes, that's also true. And why Tour biker is struggling to get parts.
    I think struggling to find spares at a reasonable price is a better description. The spares are available BUT EXPENSIVE locally. Like the oil filter, including transport, R367. From the perspective of the guy that frequently order from over seas, he wouldn't see the "hurdle" as I do. Look if I had a couple of thousand to spend I would have without second thought, order the KJS kit from the US...

  11. #31
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Yes, that's also true. And why Tour biker is struggling to get parts.
    Indeed. The 400cc bikes were basically only ever build for the Japanese market, yet 2nd hand models were imported to SA by the hundreds when the main stream guys believed there were no market for them. During the boom, parts were freely available, but a few years later, owners are left with a conundrum regarding parts and service.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tour Biker View Post
    I think struggling to find spares at a reasonable price is a better description. The spares are available BUT EXPENSIVE locally. Like the oil filter, including transport, R367. From the perspective of the guy that frequently order from over seas, he wouldn't see the "hurdle" as I do. Look if I had a couple of thousand to spend I would have without second thought, order the KJS kit from the US...
    Have to disagree on this one a tad. The filter you order is about R195. That is already too expensive (I think), but does not relate to your bike. If you bough a brand new Yamaha 660 today, you would need that same filter at that same price. The problem becomes a bigger issue when you start looking for other parts.

  12. #32
    the EGO
    theRéhann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Joburg
    Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    11,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation Rehann. It's a pity that when Honda deems something not worth importing no other entrepreneur can do so. Sounds like the legislation supports ant-competitve behaviour.
    Although it might be anti-competitive, but the car industry has had compulsory specifications for years - the bike industry could basically do whatever it wanted to. A major drive behind the compulsory specs was also the CPA and recall campaigns. Check this scenario...

    You import that weird-looking scooter, register it, etc. Ride it for a while. Then Honda issues a safety-critical recall. Let's say the rear brake light sometimes makes a spark and it could cause the fuel tank to explode. Honda Japan would let everyone of its authorised importers know, but Honda SA does not import the Judge Dredd, so they either won't receive the recall bulletin, or just ignore it, as they never ordered any.

    And then, one day, you stomp on the brake and you're launched over three trucks, two buses and seven Toyota Priuses (I see you're from Cape Teeuwn, thought I would give it some local colour). What recourse do you have?

    The NRCS's biggest focus on the compulsory specs is CPA-driven: the safety of the user.
    Last edited by theRéhann; 31-08-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

    In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008


  13. #33
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Yes, that makes sense.

    Thanks.

  14. #34
    Biker Trash DeTour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Bike
    CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Az- View Post
    that's the reason I like it
    Akira.jpg

    Akira2.jpg

    Think there is a whole generation of bike designers in Japan that want to built this in real life

  15. #35
    Little frunker. Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeTour View Post
    Akira.jpg

    Akira2.jpg

    Think there is a whole generation of bike designers in Japan that want to built this in real life
    Ah yes, Akira. Got DVD, Watched it, didnt get it, still dont and have no ambition to.

    Judge Dredd however....
    Ricers are bikers too!

  16. #36
    the EGO
    theRéhann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Joburg
    Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    11,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Ah yes, Akira. Got DVD, Watched it, didnt get it, still dont and have no ambition to.

    Judge Dredd however....
    What is that? Comics?
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

    In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008


  17. #37
    F...R...U...N...K M...E Booster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NOT Randburg
    Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Ah yes, Akira. Got DVD, Watched it, didnt get it, still dont and have no ambition to.

    Judge Dredd however....
    Anyone in Cape Town got a copy that I could borrow?

  18. #38
    Little frunker. Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post
    What is that? Comics?
    Co...COMICS?!? I will have you know, sir, that they are illustrated books! Graphic Novels even!

    Comics indeed!
    Ricers are bikers too!

  19. #39
    Biker Trash DeTour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Bike
    CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Co...COMICS?!? I will have you know, sir, that they are illustrated books! Graphic Novels even!

    Comics indeed!
    Manga! Get it right! You do not want to face the wrath of legions of otaku
    I am only familiar with the anime. The bike is not even the main focus of the story, but it is quite iconic.

  20. #40
    Little frunker. Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeTour View Post
    Manga! Get it right! You do not want to face the wrath of legions of otaku
    I am only familiar with the anime. The bike is not even the main focus of the story, but it is quite iconic.
    I didnt want to confuse the fogies with the fancy foreign names
    Ricers are bikers too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •