Thread: Direct Bike Imports

F...R...U...N...K M...E Booster's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Direct Bike Imports

An honorable mention.

When I learned (from a Honda dealer) that Honda SA isn't planning tobring the NM4 to South Africa, I wanted to find out if importing it ispossible.

The first company I contacted has gone out of their way to source a bike forme. They spoke to various contacts and to Honda Japan directly.

I just want to thank Rudi, who is the Branch Manager atDirect Bike Imports for all his effort, even though I decided not to go aheadwith the deal. - At this timeJ

http://www.bikeimports.co.za/Check them out

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    ...I decided not to go aheadwith the deal....
    Wise decision.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post
    Wise decision.
    Thank you, but why do you say that?

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Thank you, but why do you say that?
    Because theRehann is a wise old biker and should not be questioned!

I would also think that since this is not an officially supported bike, parts could be a problem? How would the warranty work?
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Because theRehann is a wise old biker and should not be questioned!

Well, you are half right. He is wise and old, but it's always recommended to question everything until you understand it completely.

I would also think that since this is not an officially supported bike, parts could be a problem? How would the warranty work?

The response from Direct Bike Imports detailed the cons of a grey imported bike very well, and I've read up about possible pitfalls before.

If you are interested, I can PM you all the details regarding warranty, spares etc.

As I said, all was explained.
    What I needed Rehann to clarify is if his objection is toward, grey importing, the bike itself, or the company.
    Last edited by Booster; 27-08-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Riaan - Rehann

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

What I needed Riaan to clarify is if his objection is toward, grey importing, the bike itself, or the company.
    Sure he will drop by to explain.

I would be interested in finding out about how the warranty would work though!
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Sure he will drop by to explain.

I would be interested in finding out about how the warranty would work though!
    You have PM. I hope you understand Die Taal

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

You have PM. I hope you understand Die Taal
    Dankie. Is MY taal daai! hehe.
    Ricers are bikers too!

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

The response from Direct Bike Imports detailed the cons of a grey imported bike very well, and I've read up about possible pitfalls before.

If you are interested, I can PM you all the details regarding warranty, spares etc.

As I said, all was explained.
    That could be useful info to all and sundry, why be selfish with a PM when you could post on the forum for us all to learn

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by -Az- View Post
    That could be useful info to all and sundry, why be selfish with a PM when you could post on the forum for us all to learn
    Sorry Az

I don't have time to edit it, so I'll give it raw....

Kan ek vir bietjie meer info vra aangaande die Honda NM4 Vultus?
    So ver ek met Honda vandag gesels het, in die bike bestem vir SA, maar nie in die korte toekoms nie.
    Ek het ook met ons kontak in Japan gesels en ‘n verbod is geplaas op die direkte “grey” invoer van die bike deur Japan.

Ons kan die bike invoer deur Singapour agent, maar die probleem kom by ons lokale Registrasie deur Natis.
    Ek moet die EC Sertifikaat en Vervaardiger Fabriek Sertifikaat kry (slegs deur Japan) om die bike hier te registreer.

Ook, indien ons hierdie roete volg gaan ons kyk na ‘n minimum bedrag van +/- R267,500.00
    Dit sluit die bike, shipping, customs, Registrations, Licensing & Delivery tot in JHB in.
    Ons vra ‘n 7.5% handling fee om die diens te verrig wat nog uitgesluit is.

Verdere probleem is dat Honda SA ,GEEN waarborg, service of parte lokaal sal hę nie, en dat enige parte & service kits ingevoer sal moet word.

Indien jy nog verder wil gaan en ons die bike sal moet kry vir jou, sal ons jou met graagte help.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Just for you rooinekke I asked uncle Google (Almost knows as much as uncle AMZ) to translate for us...so giggling allowed, but no finger pointing. I didnt proof read:

Can I get some more information about the Honda asked NM4 Vultus's Head?
    So far I have talked with Honda today, the bike destined for South Africa, but not in the short future.
    I also contact us in Japan chat and a prohibition on direct "gray" imports of the bike by Japan.

We can bike imports by Singapour agent, but the problem comes to our local Registry Natis.
    I have to get the EC Certificate and Certificate Factory Manufacturer (only by Japan) to register the bike here.

Also, if we go this route we look at a minimum of +/- R267,500.00
    This includes the bike, shipping, customs, Registrations, Licensing & Delivery to JHB in.
    We charge a 5.7% handling fee to perform the service has been excluded.

Another problem is that Honda SA, NO warranty service or parts locally will not have, and that any parts & service kits will be imported.

If you want to go further and we bike will be given to you, we will help you with pleasure.
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Just for you rooinekke I asked uncle Google (Almost knows as much as uncle AMZ) to translate for us...so giggling allowed, but no finger pointing. I didnt proof read:
    Kind of reads like a Chinese bike's manual if you ask me!
    Ricers are bikers too!

Slow Searcher
    Bike
    Triumph Sprint GT 1050 Ver2.0 (Guiliana)
    Region
    Gauteng

So in short, as long as you don't need to service the bike or anything breaks you will be 100%.

Don't take life too seriously....nobody gets out alive!!!

Bike
    Honda NC700X
    Region
    Gauteng

Quick translation...
    Blah blah blah...lots of $$$$ + my fee + no warranty + no support....blah blah blah...let me know

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    For some there's therapy, for the rest of us there's riding!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I would pay R250k to keep that thing out of SA!

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Ons kan die bike invoer deur Singapour agent, maar die probleem kom by ons lokale Registrasie deur Natis.
    Ek moet die EC Sertifikaat en Vervaardiger Fabriek Sertifikaat kry (slegs deur Japan) om die bike hier te registreer.
    That is where the problem lies...

The National Regulator for Compulsory Standards (NRCS), a division of the SABS, forced the motorcycle industry into a compulsory standard for the homologation of Category L Motor Vehicles (motorcycles, motortricycles, quadricycles etc). An unintended consequence was that it also closed the door on "gray importers", as the CPA refers to them.

When I was the National Director of AMiD, I inherited the process that was implemented on 1 December 2011 and had a 24-month phasing-in period. That means that bikes already homologated on 1 Dec 2011 could continue as imports until 30 Nov 2013. But if you brought in a new bike, that had to be homologated as a new model introduction, it had to be done in terms of the new Compulsory Standards. And by 1 Dec 2013, you would've had to re-homologate your whole product offering.

And those standards are mostly much stricter, as they are basically EU standards. In other words, huge issues around emissions. And that is why SA lost the Kawasaki KLR, the XR650 and 125, Suzuki's DR650 and 200, among others.

One of the issues of the compulsory standards was that in order for an MBI (motor vehicle builder or importer) to homologate a bike, he would have to provide the EU test results on basically every component of the bike. To get such reports is a process that costs around 18 000 Euro per model, if memory serves. Obviously Honda SA cannot pay that, but the factory would have had its products tested, so they would get the report from Honda Japan.

Your mates the importers will not get it, because Honda Japan don't want anyone else to import its product other than its wholly owned subsidiary Honda SA. So, I don't want to call your contact a liar, but I simply cannot see how he would manage to get the reports. There is also a "certificate of compliance of manufacture" (the "fabrieksertifikaat" he refers to) that he would need to supply to the NRCS and, again, I don't see how Honda Japan would give that to anyone other than Honda SA.

Therefore, I think it would be impossible to register this special import. Not without greasing some palms, in any case. And when someone from Honda SA sees this odd bike that he knows wasn't imported by Honda SA, he will take the registration number and go to the NRCS to find out how that happened.

There are other issues too, such as lights designed for use on right-hand drive roads etc. The Euro spec bike would fit into our compulsory standards, but to comply to the NRTA (to be roadworthy), the cut-up on the high beam must be to the right and a European bike's will be to the left, as they drive/ride on the other side of the road from us.

Even at R267 500 + 7,5%, I find it very hard to believe that it could've happened.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

"The Coach"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Thank you Sir!
    Quite a minefield it seems!

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    I would pay R250k to keep that thing out of SA!
    Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I think it's stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by RyC View Post
    Quick translation...
    Blah blah blah...lots of $$$$ + my fee + no warranty + no support....blah blah blah...let me know

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    If I had the opportunity, I would pay to have the only one in SA.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I think it's stunning.
    Whatever it is you are smoking, STOP! Immediately!

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Whatever it is you are smoking, STOP! Immediately!

it's always 420 somewhere