Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question re the Honda NC750..

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Question re the Honda NC750..

Hi All

Have been considering a Honda NC750 as a replacement bike for the Fazer I sold to my friend. The Fazer was a good bike but didnt have the wind protection I was used to having been spoilt by an RT Beemer.

A number of the articles I have read have listed the bike as "boring".

I am looking for a decent commuter (which I know it is) but also something the other half and I could do a day trip on in relative comfort and without strain seeing that I weigh in at 110kgs. Must also give decent wind protection so an after-market screen is a necessity on the Honda.

Also remember I raced a superbike for 5 years and owned a number of BMW's (GS1150'S, RT1200's and GT1200).

Am I going to be bored out of my skull on the Honda?

Relative pricing says I can get a 2014 NC750X for about the same price as a 2006 R1200RT..... so do I go for the used Beemer or the Honda? Commuting distances are currently 50kms a day but will probably drop to around 10 kays a day from February.

So opinions please..
    Dunslop lover....

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Dave, I have had mine for just over a year and have 34 000 on the clock. It definitely doesn't have a high top end, I have managed to get it to around 184 clock speed, on a long open road, just to see what it was capable of. It has all the power you need for pull off and it's acceleration is pretty awesome for what it is. I did a two day trip to CapeTown and one day trip back. I find it quite comfortable and my wife is quite happy to ride along. You are welcome to take mine for a spin to see what you think.

F...R...U...N...K M...E Booster's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

It is always difficult to give advise on feelings rather than fact.

I don't find my NC boring, but you might find it boring.

The only way to answer that question is to take the bike for a test ride and decide for yourself if it feel boring.

Bike
    NC700 white - RIP. NC700 - silver, R1200 LC GSA - Blue
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    It is always difficult to give advise on feelings rather than fact.

I don't find my NC boring, but you might find it boring.

The only way to answer that question is to take the bike for a test ride and decide for yourself if it feel boring.
    Agree. If one is looking for a superbike, you will be disappointed. It's by no means something you buy to impress the Jones, BUT, if you are looking for a no nonsense commuter that will easily filter through traffic, relatively cheap to maintain, and will do a brekkie run, no sweat, you will be very impressed. Not to mention the fuel consumption, low down and flat torque curve and storage bin/frunk...

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

When we were testriding bikes, both my wife and I found the F800 GS MUCH more exciting than the NC.

Bike
    NC700 white - RIP. NC700 - silver, R1200 LC GSA - Blue
    Region
    Gauteng

When we were testriding bikes, both my wife and I found the F800 GS MUCH more exciting than the NC.
    True, my GSA is much more exciting but riding around town I rather take the NC.

Bike
    CBR 600F
    Region
    Western Cape

if i may, how come you decided on the nc then?

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Riaz View Post
    if i may, how come you decided on the nc then?
    I rarely make a big financial decision based on feeling. I rather decide with facts.

The NC was R30 000 cheaper, more economical and already had storage, so a topbox wasn't necessary.

There is downsides however, like Honda SA's service compared to BMW's, but that was a bullet I was willing to bite.

It's also why our family car is a Toyota Innova, instead of a Fortuner.

It has been a very controversial topic on this board, because lots of bikers feel that biking is only a passion.

For me it's facts first, then feeling.

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

NC700/750 is slow.

No one will convince me it is "enough" of a bike. yes it is a really good commuter and super light on petrol and if that is what you want then sure it makes sense.
    If you want a bike that can keep up and has a bit of extra oomph for that uphill not to make a difference in your speed then a NC is not going to do it.

The NC is heavy and under powered for a 750. It is faster than the general traffic but so is my sister's 125cc zookie and ER5. A friend bought a NC as a first big bike with the thought that it will be faster than both my SV and Triumph because it is bigger than them..... Both my bikes left him far in the dust from pull off. He now has a ER6N and is much happier with it. Still not faster than either of my bikes but is close to my SV. He said that it is more responsive than the NC as well, though he does miss the fuel consumption that the NC gave him.

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

...but I might have made an exception for an NM4, if Honda brought it into SA:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...NM4-Vultus.htm

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Dave, you are going to feel the NC to be very underpowered, it has good grunt in the mid range but that is it's strength. Great commuter and as Coly has said can handle the long distances.

YOU, will be bored. What worries me more is your riding style, where as many would back off to get out of trouble, you would look for the gap. It does not have the power for you.
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Stranger... me look for a gap? I am shocked!
    Dunslop lover....

Bike
    Nothing for now..
    Region
    Gauteng

Colyvon you have a PM.

You are very kind
    Dunslop lover....

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

Dave I Know you and your riding style and my advice would to go for the RT.
    You are not going to enjoy the NC.
    You know what they say about cubic capacity...
    Two up on the NC and the throttle is going to become a volume control only...

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

Eish, I was thinking the other day that, if I were to replace my Fazer, what I would replace it with. I really don't know.
    Before I bought the Fazer I was looking at NC's as my main purpose for a bike is commuting. Would I get one now? I doubt it, the Fazer is so much fun!
    I don't have much experience on other bikes but I have ridden a Tracer, which was nice, but not nice enough to replace the Fazer yet.
    I don't think you are going to get better protection than what a BMW can give, but why have you not kept any of those you owned?
    For your needs I would suggest an FZ1 or CBR1000F.
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    2008 CBR600RR, 2014 Fireblade SP
    Region
    Western Cape

I'd rather drive my small, economical car than a NC700. The NC700 has nothing going for it except the ability to filter, and all the massive drawbacks of a motorcycle; exposure to the elements, limited carrying capacity, injury and death. Yes, I have ridden one.

On weekends I ride my Fireblade for fun.

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
    Colyvon you have a PM.

You are very kind
    According to people who seems to know you, it sounds like the NC might not be the bike for you. But, I would love to hear you're opinion regarding the bike after you've ridden it.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Biker mom's son View Post
    NC700/750 is slow.

No one will convince me it is "enough" of a bike.
    Well, since many riders needs are different you could say that no bike is "enough" of a bike.

For someone looking for an economical commuter and something to occasionally cruise around on the NC750 might just be the best bike out there.... Your requirements are different, so might not be enough for you. Similar, for the GS brigade because yours does not have a black and blue badge, it will never be "enough".

And then we come to my bike that deffinitely is not "enough", but for someone else it just might be? (probably not, but maybe?)
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

According to people who seems to know you, it sounds like the NC might not be the bike for you. But, I would love to hear you're opinion regarding the bike after you've ridden it.
    I agree. Take one for a test ride and let us know!
    Ricers are bikers too!

Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Well, since many riders needs are different you could say that no bike is "enough" of a bike.

For someone looking for an economical commuter and something to occasionally cruise around on the NC750 might just be the best bike out there.... Your requirements are different, so might not be enough for you. Similar, for the GS brigade because yours does not have a black and blue badge, it will never be "enough".

And then we come to my bike that deffinitely is not "enough", but for someone else it just might be? (probably not, but maybe?)

I was probably harsh and didn't word it properly, I was trying to get the message you just pointed out. The NC is aimed at people that don't want maximum POWER!!!
    You summed it up better than i could.