Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 148

Thread: Visability : namely Spotlights

  1. #61
    Brighty Lighty

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northriding
    Bike
    BMW 1200 GSA, KTM450, PGO 125, Can Am Spyder RT
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    It is illegal to dazzle other road users ...which these spotlights do

    Today I was driving back from Welkom in my car on the N1. A group of about 10 Harley's were coming towards me ALL had their spots and brights ON. I never got 'dazzled' at all, but they were very visible to me....

    I know you are going to harp on the same old tune of...'it's illegal" but it's effective in making bikers visible

  2. #62
    Hooligan Biker bluedevil678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Muizenburg, Western Cape
    Bike
    Ninja 300 Special Edition (2015)
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Now listen to a grey, old fart who is dispensing advise not asked for.

    Way more important than a orange light, or brighter lights, or more lights, or high viz bib, etc. for your visibility, is ride in such a way that you give everyone a chance to see you.
    Good advise indeed!

  3. #63
    GoogleBoy Pyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    4,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevelle View Post
    Today I was driving back from Welkom in my car on the N1. A group of about 10 Harley's were coming towards me ALL had their spots and brights ON. I never got 'dazzled' at all, but they were very visible to me....

    I know you are going to harp on the same old tune of...'it's illegal" but it's effective in making bikers visible
    I are immune to the Terevelle!


    I have never actually encountered a Harley that dazzles (recently?), but their lights sit WAY lower than your average GS.

    And they are the ones are most fond of fitting mini-aftermarket-suns.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

  4. #64
    Evil Biker Scum tp007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Bike
    NC700 white - RIP. NC700 - silver, R1200 LC GSA - Blue
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    It is illegal to dazzle other road users ...which these spotlights do
    Which is what most HID and xenon car lights do as well. So does that make all vehicles on the road illegal? I intentially fitted the 1000lum spots in lieu of 3600lums not to blind other users. I'm visible and that's what matters. And yes I will ride with spots in daytime as it increases my visibility.

  5. #65
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    It is illegal to dazzle other road users ...
    Ah! Must be why those Dazzle Datsuns were discontinued way back ......


  6. #66
    Biker Trash Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Randburg
    Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Spotlights that are incorrectly fitted dazzle other road users. If the focus area is set correctly, they are fine.
    Sadly they often are fitted by selfish riders and used alongside high beams
    The Halo also dazzles ...

  7. #67
    Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    On da Woes Rand
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    4,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Way more important than a orange light, or brighter lights, or more lights, or high viz bib, etc. for your visibility, is ride in such a way that you give everyone a chance to see you.
    best advice ever!
    It's not how fast you can ride --- it's how fast you can STOP!

  8. #68
    Evil Biker Scum
    hei ew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jhb
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,515

  9. #69
    Biker Trash Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Randburg
    Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevelle View Post
    Today I was driving back from Welkom in my car on the N1. A group of about 10 Harley's were coming towards me ALL had their spots and brights ON. I never got 'dazzled' at all, but they were very visible to me....

    I know you are going to harp on the same old tune of...'it's illegal" but it's effective in making bikers visible
    Right.. and you were in the middle of the day with sunglasses on

  10. #70
    Biker Trash Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Randburg
    Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tp007 View Post
    Which is what most HID and xenon car lights do as well. So does that make all vehicles on the road illegal? I intentially fitted the 1000lum spots in lieu of 3600lums not to blind other users. I'm visible and that's what matters. And yes I will ride with spots in daytime as it increases my visibility.
    And here's another road user that has absolutely no respect for the law and courteous driving to other road users... typical Johannesburg driver.. screw everyone else

  11. #71
    Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    And here's another road user that has absolutely no respect for the law and courteous driving to other road users... typical Johannesburg driver.. screw everyone else
    In South Africa it is illegal to sit less than 2 meters next to the opposite sex, if he or she is wearing nothing but a swimming costume.

    Please go annoy beach goers instead of harping on about people being disrespectful because they drive with their lights on during the day.

  12. #72
    Biker Trash Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Randburg
    Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tp007 View Post
    Which is what most HID and xenon car lights do as well. So does that make all vehicles on the road illegal? I intentially fitted the 1000lum spots in lieu of 3600lums not to blind other users. I'm visible and that's what matters. And yes I will ride with spots in daytime as it increases my visibility.
    The upmarket cars that have Xeon lights and such... these lights are angled and focused to be where they should be pointing and you only really get dazzled then they come over a rise

    The car lovers that put them onto their golfs and such are selfish as this is just an omni directional blinding from people who think they are cool but actually inconsiderate morons

  13. #73
    Biker Trash Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Randburg
    Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biker mom's son View Post
    In South Africa it is illegal to sit less than 2 meters next to the opposite sex, if he or she is wearing nothing but a swimming costume.

    Please go annoy beach goers instead of harping on about people being disrespectful because they drive with their lights on during the day.
    See typical Johannesburg attitude.. need i say more its screw the law and f off if you complain...

    It is proven world wide that riding dazzling people is

    1/ Bloody Selfish

    2/ Illegal

    3/ Could cause accidents blinding other road users

    4/ Does not improve your visibility on the road

    5/ ****es off other road users

    But lets just shut up because Bikers mom son said so while he breaks the law

    this is why South Africa is they way it is ... NOBODY gives a damn about anybody else

  14. #74
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,017

    Default

    Are you saying if this attitude is unique to Johannesburg? If so is SA the way it is because in Johannesburg nobody gives a damn about anyone else? Or, are you just confused?

  15. #75
    Mommy's sweet, little boy Biker mom's son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    KTM 1290SuperDuke R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    See typical Johannesburg attitude.. need i say more its screw the law and f off if you complain...

    It is proven world wide that riding dazzling people is

    1/ Bloody Selfish

    2/ Illegal

    3/ Could cause accidents blinding other road users

    4/ Does not improve your visibility on the road

    5/ ****es off other road users

    But lets just shut up because Bikers mom son said so while he breaks the law

    this is why South Africa is they way it is ... NOBODY gives a damn about anybody else

    HAHAHA!! I don't ride with brights on and neither do i use xenon lights. My headlight bulbs in both my bikes are bog standard and are adjusted to look at the road and not at other vehicles. Very "Johannesburg attitude" of you to assume that i am breaking the law. I'm just sick of you labeling people "moron,idiots and inconsiderate" like you just did to me. You clearly didn't give a damn about me when you labelled me as a "law breaking" rider. You are part of the problem that plagues South Africa just as I am(according to you). Please assume some more so i can laugh again.

  16. #76
    Evil Biker Scum
    hei ew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jhb
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    everytime i try to keep the post on track this guy goes and trolls my thread

    you win Grommit
    i'm sure you will enjoy this forum without any people posting

    this will be my final post as i cant handle people like this

  17. #77
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hei ew View Post
    everytime i try to keep the post on track this guy goes and trolls my thread

    you win Grommit
    i'm sure you will enjoy this forum without any people posting

    this will be my final post as i cant handle people like this
    Nooit dude! Never let a twatwaffle ruin your TB Forum experience. Just accept that he is far superior to any of us in every way. He will even, possibly register his bike as per SA requirements sometime in the next century, or so.

  18. #78
    Evil Biker Scum tp007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Bike
    NC700 white - RIP. NC700 - silver, R1200 LC GSA - Blue
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    And here's another road user that has absolutely no respect for the law and courteous driving to other road users... typical Johannesburg driver.. screw everyone else
    As requested...

  19. #79
    Biker Trash Skully-SXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maroelana, Pretoria
    Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    See typical Johannesburg attitude.. need i say more its screw the law and f off if you complain...

    It is proven world wide that riding dazzling people is

    1/ Bloody Selfish

    2/ Illegal

    3/ Could cause accidents blinding other road users

    4/ Does not improve your visibility on the road

    5/ ****es off other road users

    But lets just shut up because Bikers mom son said so while he breaks the law

    this is why South Africa is they way it is ... NOBODY gives a damn about anybody else
    Who are these dazzling people and why are they being ridden?
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

  20. #80
    F...R...U...N...K M...E Booster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NOT Randburg
    Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Nooit dude! Never let a twatwaffle ruin your TB Forum experience. Just accept that he is far superior to any of us in every way. He will even, possibly register his bike as per SA requirements sometime in the next century, or so.
    Yeah. If you got the time to do some research, go check the dates when Grommit explodes. It's usually around the last week of the month.

    I'm not saying it for a fact, but I believe I've worked out his manstrating cycle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •