Thread: hi I'm Shane new to the forum and need some help please

Lurker
    Bike
    big boy 250 GPR
    Region
    Gauteng

Exclamation hi I'm Shane new to the forum and need some help please

hi I bought a big boy 250 GPR with 3 km on the clock recently and now has about 400 km on the clock... I have sent the bike for the run in service and the 300 km service...however whn I got the bike back the bike jerks at around 100km/h and is backfiring in 3rd gear higher...when I called the guy from the dealer he says I'm riding with the choke open and the bike is cold...really! so please help or let me knw whr I can get the bike checked
    l

Bike
    Sym CityCom 300i
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jonathan Naidoo View Post
    hi I bought a big boy 250 GPR with 3 km on the clock recently and now has about 400 km on the clock... I have sent the bike for the run in service and the 300 km service...however whn I got the bike back the bike jerks at around 100km/h and is backfiring in 3rd gear higher...when I called the guy from the dealer he says I'm riding with the choke open and the bike is cold...really! so please help or let me knw whr I can get the bike checked
    l
    Name:  Welcome S.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  37.5 KB

Welcome to the forum.
    Who are the dealers? Unfortunately anyone saying that they are a bike shop qualify to sell Big Boy/Jonway/SAM products. I have been through all of this before, as I have had problems with brand new rides from the beginning. Take the bike back and insist that they sort it out. Also place your query on Big Boy Scooters Facebook page, and if possible, their website, as they then have the public watching them and not the backyard dealer who isn't really interested in helping once they receive your money. If they ignore you, then put it on Hellopeter. A few dealers do try, but the majority not. Ask Big Boy who their best dealer is in your area and try and deal through them.
    It is generally a small issue and I hope that they can resolve it quickly so that you can get to enjoy your new bike.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

l
    Take it back to the people who serviced it. Even if they did get it wrong, first time round, they deserve a chance to rectify their mess.

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Hi welcome! Like everyone said, take it back. I service my bike myself and over the coming week I'll post about it with pictures. Usually on a new bike, fist service they only change oil and just check for loose nuts and bolts. I doubt it if they would do something else causing jerking and back firing. Those are usually associated with more complicated repairs. He might have a point on the choke if it has two positions, other than completely in. In, first click, second click. I doubt the problem as you would by this time know the choke positions. Unless they have checked valve gaps witch I doubt. Jerking can be caused by an loose engine plug. Most of the time they would lift the bike on a bike lift and fiddle with the looms. It might be that they fiddled with a loom plug and knowing Chinese bikes, as cheap plugs as you can find. It might be the problem and just fiddle with the loom plug coming from the engine to usually in a rubber sort of housing. It's a clip in type. Just unclip it, spray a bit of Q20 in there, shuffle it a bit and go for a test ride. On average the Big Boys are straight forward "old tech" bikes and if well maintained shouldn't give any problems.

Lurker
    Bike
    big boy 250 GPR
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Grunt Thank You So very much I really appreciate the advice.
    The dealer is motomania in sandton. by no means tryna get anyone in trouble just want a solution to fix my bike nd enjoy riding it...

Bike
    Sym CityCom 300i
    Region
    Western Cape

Hi Grunt Thank You So very much I really appreciate the advice.
    The dealer is motomania in sandton. by no means tryna get anyone in trouble just want a solution to fix my bike nd enjoy riding it...
    It's not about making trouble, but rather getting them to do their work properly. If they insist on the chock story, take the bike there and have them test ride the bike with the choke in, then explain why it still does it. My issues were things that they didn't necessarily work on, so it is not to say it was something done by them directly. Check that the choke cable wasn't misdirected causing it to activate even when closed. If you are not technically minded, then they would have to check it. If they tell you that it is 'normal', or something you are doing then take it further. In my opinion, riding with the choke out would effect performance all the time, and not around 100. Backfiring is unburned fuel, which could mean rich fuel mixture.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Usually, when you speak to a mechanic over the phone, he can, at best, only guess at your issue. Just as we do here when we try to help. A good one will then give advice as well, such as, "sounds like you are riding with the choke out" or "the bike is still cold". Nothing untoward about that. He can really only make a decent assessment once the bike is back there. I would therefore not read too much into what the mechanic told you over the phone. Like I said earlier. Although a schlepp, take the bike back and give then the opportunity to correct their error, if any.

Lurker
    Bike
    big boy 250 GPR
    Region
    Gauteng

exactly that is my point as well if it was that it would affect it from the start not only at 100km ....but yes will take it to them thanks