Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: See No Evil, Hear No Evil Winter Tour

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Another thing, although I don't like Chinese rides due to bad experiences, I am impressed with your ride. It is a nice looking ride, but as suggested, maybe consider looking for an older, bigger project bike that will be able to get you around faster.
    Don't loose faith in what you do, and also remember that you have a following that admires and even envies what you do. Sadly people do disappoint us when they don't share our vision, but we must choose to either move on or be offended. Remember, offence is taken and not given.
    Maybe a street bike project and keep the Loncin as is of some off road. Thursday night I was dreaming of Boosters Virago. That bike looks stunning and something that will quite a Harley rider. With the right accessories, chrome... and matching tour kit... screen.... I would love that Virago on the open road!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Tour Biker View Post
    Maybe a street bike project and keep the Loncin as is of some off road. Thursday night I was dreaming of Boosters Virago. That bike looks stunning and something that will quite a Harley rider. With the right accessories, chrome... and matching tour kit... screen.... I would love that Virago on the open road!
    I am not sure that a 400cc Cruiser would be much faster, or more comfortable over the long road. They are pretty bikes though.

F...R...U...N...K M...E Booster's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Tell you what, next time you're in town I'll let you take her for a testride

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    I am not sure that a 400cc Cruiser would be much faster, or more comfortable over the long road. They are pretty bikes though.
    The 400 will reach 120km/h and stay there, no problem.

My issue is that anything over that is difficult to achieve quickly enough to get out of trouble. I am also much heavier and taller than Johan which made riding the Honda to work and back more practical then the Virago.

The Virago is also much more comfortable then the Honda.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Tell you what, next time you're in town I'll let you take her for a testride

The 400 will reach 120km/h and stay there, no problem.

My issue is that anything over that is difficult to achieve quickly enough to get out of trouble. I am also much heavier and taller than Johan which made riding the Honda to work and back more practical then the Virago.

The Virago is also much more comfortable then the Honda.
    I stand corrected.

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

At McDonalds he showed me the "tour seat". on his bike when I asked about the small screen. Back to this picture. I should have taken one of the bike.
    Photo0295.jpg
    The seat looks comfortable with a wide seat and sort of edge. A seat like that on a Virago will be nice or ever a small sissy for the rider... . If I could maintain 100 to 110 on tour would be exceptable. I'm not a "speed fan". When I saw the Virago I liked the bike length for when fitting panniers. On most bikes panniers end up above or behind the sprocket. I would like to stay with what I take on tour. Me and doppies talked about tour stuff, and he would take much less than I do. Maybe at the most 10 kilo's on a 1200 as to my 43 on a 250... hehehe

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

@ Booster, post a few pic's of that Virago, Side and rear if possible. I want to edit my panniers onto them and stick it up above my bed... The following picture from my Sutherland tour....
    e.jpg

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

@ Booster, post a few pic's of that Virago, Side and rear if possible. I want to edit my panniers onto them and stick it up above my bed... The following picture from my Sutherland tour....
    e.jpg
    You know....(nudge nudge, wink wink)... this bike will be for sale soon...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

... . If I could maintain 100 to 110 on tour would be exceptable.
    One thing that is always true, with a top speed of 200, 110 is a relaxed cruise. With a top speed of 120, 110 is hard work! It is time that you are educated in the art of biking.

Lesson #1: Way, but I mean way too much power, is just enough.

. Me and doppies talked about tour stuff, and he would take much less than I do. Maybe at the most 10 kilo's on a 1200 as to my 43 on a 250... hehehe
    Weight? Who cares? Me alone = you + your 43 kg's of equipment.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Lesson #2: Just keep on accelerating until the fear of death finally subsides.

Lesson #3: When in doubt, GAS IT! If it doesn't solve the problem, it will end the suspense.

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Breakdown of Tour costs:

Tour distance on GPS 1341 km. 5 Days, Overnights 4.

Petrol costs. R535,00
    Accommodation. R350,00
    Food & Drink. R300,00
    Total: R 1 135,00
    Complimentary: Accommodation & Dinner Thursday at Booster.
    Thanks Doppies.
    Complimentary Dinner from Route 44.

Looking at the cost for 5 days is maybe not so bad but what made it possible was the complimentary stuff. If it wasn't for that I don't know! The hospitality of those I met cannot be described!

Fuel-ups.
    Ladismith: R70
    Robertson: R95
    CT: R100
    Ceder Inn: R60
    Lutzville: R100
    Porterville: R30
    Robertson: R60
    Barrydale: R20

Extra stuff, was only like R 60. Smokes and stuff and I got home with R15 change. (Not enough for a Virago) hehehe

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Extra stuff, was only like R 60. Smokes and stuff and I got home with R15 change. (Not enough for a Virago) hehehe
    Of course not! A Virago is a Yamaha. You could get a few Hondas for that though.

Bike
    Duke 390 - UAE
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Of course not! A Virago is a Yamaha. You could get a few Hondas for that though.
    :P

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Complimentary: Accommodation & Dinner Thursday at Booster.
    Jy is altyd welkom Johan. My kinders is gaande oor jou.

Eduan kan nie ophou praat oor trokke nie, ek dink hy is selfs besig om een te beplan in Minecraft. Ek sal jou op hoogte hou.

Bike
    Sym CityCom 300i
    Region
    Western Cape

R227p/d is not too shabby, considering you behaved yourself.

Bike
    Duke 390 - UAE
    Region
    Outside South Africa

One nice thing about here is petrol is **** cheap and you can basically camp anywhere for free. Gone out camping on my bike a few times. All my gear on my back and a drive across to the east coast. Setup camp and snorkel stay overnight. ride home the next morning

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by LawMongrel View Post
    One nice thing about here is petrol is **** cheap
    Ja, you arab! It's because you make us pay so much! Down with him! DOWN I SAY!!!!

I am planning a longish ride for Mags and myself. Will touch 5000km. Petrol for ONE bike is around R3700! Eina!

Bike
    Honda NC750X
    Region
    Western Cape

Petrol for ONE bike is around R3700! Eina!
    Perhaps it's time the 'Z gets himself an NC. Light on fuel and has a F.R.U.N.K.

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    R227p/d is not too shabby, considering you behaved yourself.
    Petrol cost was the problem and on average over R 13 something per liter. With previous tours all was under R200 a day. Accommodation is also a variable. Sometime you get a great place at a bargain and crappy place expensive. I think in planning a tour one should build the route around confirmed accommodation. Ask for pictures and make sure what you get is the same as the picture and value for money. Sometime pictures can be deceiving, just like a steers burger. The massive juicy thing on the picture is a small dry thing wrapped in paper.

I still say, the best ever, cheapest, bike camp spot was Victoria West on the N12. As far as surrounds, a bush experience, the best ever camp spot was Porcupine rest camp. (Rustic facilities with hot water.) The biggest disappointment ever was Hardekraaltjie. The best cheapest Hotel Backpackers was Brandvlei Hotel. The most pathetic ever, never go there, was (Lafenis) Maritz Game Lodge Keetmanshoop.

I have to say, never pay in advance, pay when you check out as you can negotiate such as faulty plumbing, hot water in the toilet (a steaming flush) and cold water in the shower, theft of items by staff, and what ever...

I found some accommodation places is reluctant in confirming and e-mailing. During your inquiry is hard to get information but afterwards when a payment detail is exchanged, the incapability of communication seems to be no problem.

On one of my previous tours I booked backpackers at 100 per night including coffee. The confirmation was slow. When I got there there wasn't any secure parking and my bike and must park in the street. I said no way's. I was charged a cancellation fee. If financially possible, go for lodges and confirm safe parking for bikes.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Perhaps it's time the 'Z gets himself an NC. Light on fuel and has a F.R.U.N.K.
    Not it this frunking lifetime!

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Not it this frunking lifetime!
    Ja, Nee wat sal ek nou sê, ek het hoop ek kon AMZ oorreed om 'n paar Loncin's te koop... Ek sien klaar André op 'n groene vol koffers gepak met nog 'n sak houtskool ook bo-op en Mags op 'n rooie met 'n matras en rugsakkie...