Thread: Think Bike Events Calendar

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Think Bike Events Calendar

This is a long write-up and please take time to read it as events is what Think Bike needs!

I see three kinds of events that can make Think Bike visible to the public, as I believe events will bring members, sponsors and donations.

The three categories for events are:

Marshalling events witch is closed to members and public participation as a marshal but we want to know and read about it. We want to see the Think Bike drive in action and no better way than the great work done by these people!

In house events witch a breakfast or weekend bike ride only for members from the forum with the purpose to “meet and greet”.

Public events like banner day’s open rallies, displays at shows and courses for advanced riding and the like.

I suppose one can create more categories but then the posting of the event will become complicated and will most probably cause confusion to the reader.

Events in the planning may also give the calendar a good visitor number to give attention to current events on the calendar. It would be obvious to the reader that the event is in the planning phase and may not happen but posting such a event will hopefully get the individual a idea to create his own event that may well happen. Get it? As example when I planned the saddle sore ride. It didn’t happen but the idea of such a ride may well give someone else the idea and he completed the initiative.

Create a web-link. Most events have a lot of detail. This detail can be posted on a blog or website and the link to “more information” will bring the reader into the event. A thread link may work just as well especially with marshalling and in house events.

My focus on web links is more aimed toward public events where we want to show the outside world and the potential members and sponsors what we intend to do. I think the current banner events ad is good enough and serves a good example of how this should be done. It is advertised and have a web link.

Should the pubic event be controlled with regard to participant numbers, such as a course or training session, this can be advertised as such with course fees whatever information the organizer wants on a small application.

Creating an event.

Only one person is necessary to create an event! I sit here in a rural part of our country, far from civilization and with a homemade banner run an event and visible all over South Africa and internationally. It a great feeling when someone from Europe comment on a great event. May this be reason enough for you to create your event!

Two guys that want to ride a mountain pass or scenic route is good enough to become an event.
    A coffee meeting between bikers can also be an event.
    A off road adventure tour, even by one biker is an event. During his tour he can meet with other bikers for a coffee and meet and greet.

Discussion: “small” even and “large event”.

I have said it many times; a successful event will attract members, sponsors and donations. Over and above that the most important factor is getting visible to the public.

There are basically three event sizes. Very large events such as AMiD that needs directors, financial advisors and so on. On this platform this is NOT what we want or aiming for. We think of much smaller events. For the purpose of this write-up, I’ll
    Create two sizes of events. An event such as the Chilled breakfast run with about 20 participants and small events only one to three people.

There are a number of articles in creating motorcycle events and I edited a write-up to what Think Bike would see as a large event and how to organize it.

How to Organize a Motorcycle Rally

A motorcycle rally is an extraordinary way to raise awareness for a special cause and is an amazing way to get your community involved to fund raise or build support. Organizing a Motorcycle Rally requires planning, organization and building community involvement and awareness.

Remember other people are reading and will be interested.

Instructions

If you have the desire to organize the rally, you will need a good team of people to plan and coordinate the many details involved. Seek people who have a heart for the cause and who may strengthen your team with their skills in organization, communication or connections within the community.

Establish details and information about the cause for the event. If you want to fund raise money and awareness for a foundation or a family, be sure that the central focus for all details is around the importance of the cause.

At a meeting, express interests, concerns and goals. (A meeting can also be in the form of forum discussion.)

Assign people to specific tasks such as food and drink coordinator, local business support contact, community spokes person and volunteer coordinator.

Establish an initial budget. It is key to know your initial budget. And then compare what the actual event should cost. This will help you know how much money to raise just to get the event functioning properly.

Organize location details for date and time. Also plan what you will need for the location. Such examples are a stage, tables, chairs or road blocks to block off regular traffic.

Plan details about an agenda for the event from start to finish. Plan what people will do when they arrive, what they will do while they are there and how to promote the commencement.

Get local support from area businesses. Ask local businesses to get involved. Plan for sponsors to be able to advertise at the event, demonstrating their support. Their support can be in way of donating money, donating food and most importantly, if they want to donate toward the rally's cause.

Appoint an MC. Your event must have someone who will interact with the public. Their sole position is to rally, inform and introduce the event, entertainment and hype people up to participate in donating toward the event's cause.

Seek Entertainment. Check out your local bands to play for the event.

Decide on food type that you would like to serve. An example could be a local braai menu. Ask a locally owned restaurant or caterer to set up "booths" to cook and sell food. Ask them to donate their time and even participate in the fund raising by donating (or what ever amount is reasonable) toward the cause. Contact your local beverage distributor to rent a drink trailer.

Plan activities for the whole family. Plan games and prizes for kids of all ages.

Raise awareness. Flyers, radio advertising and word of mouth are instrumental tools in getting the information out to potential visitors and supporters. Also contact your local television stations, newspapers and radio stations. A press release will help the public become aware, and will also give you free coverage. If your budget permits, place ads in the media to further awareness.

The execution elements for such a large event is possible. We have marshals and we have a platform to publish these kinds of events.

The smaller event to the description is something like the Chilled breakfast run. It is the perfect opportunity to give Think Bike visibility. The difference is that participant’s cost is for own account with no “pot” involved, unless there is some charity benefiting from the initiative.

Small recurring events may have a bigger impact that one large event.

The current banner days are making a huge difference. The advertisement of the events shows rewarding results. The success thus far is that there’s momentum and the initiative can be continued or is sustainable.

There are currently small events happening and I only ask to publish them. Please. There is an old Afrikaans saying: Ek is nie lus om met ‘n stok in jou agterwęreld te krap nie.
    Please come forward contact me and lets get these events published.

Create a small event and share your ideas. Maybe someone else can execute it successfully. If there’s no input toward events, the events calendar will stay empty and no use to keep it there!

Lets organize on big even per month and small sustainable events weekly and this is already a good start. Keep the momentum on the chilled breakfast run and banner events.

What do you think?

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Tour Biker View Post
    Marshalling events witch is closed to members and public participation as a marshal but we want to know and read about it. We want to see the Think Bike drive in action and no better way than the great work done by these people!
    http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/forumdi...gs-Marshalling

Mexican Slayer
    Bike
    XT660R and Draconia my Motard.
    Region
    Western Cape

We have a calendar here on the forum...
    http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/calendar.php

I'll give you access to post on it and then you can start threads / write your reviews in the Events Forums.
    I never try anything, I just do it >;

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by SmartTart View Post
    We have a calendar here on the forum...
    http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/calendar.php

I'll give you access to post on it and then you can start threads / write your reviews in the Events Forums.
    If the events calendar custodian don't get events from the members, it would be the same as employing a water management person at a empty dam. A huge position with no work and responsibility. This is the reason for the post.

Mexican Slayer
    Bike
    XT660R and Draconia my Motard.
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Tour Biker View Post
    If the events calendar custodian don't get events from the members, it would be the same as employing a water management person at a empty dam. A huge position with no work and responsibility. This is the reason for the post.
    I honestly have no idea what you are on about at this stage

All I am offering is the access to place events on the calender, the calender links to posts in the event boards and members can chooses to set reminders via this system...

Use it ...don't use it ... not seeing the point of you re-inventing a wheel that is already there...just offering you a tool to make it easier

You asked to publish them "There are currently small events happening and I only ask to publish them. " I am offering you a place to do so...

Good Luck with your initiative
    I never try anything, I just do it >;

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Sorry, I think my message or idea is misunderstood. I'm trying to get people to create events as there's only a few. Currently there's only one event on the calendar posted between this month to year end. There should be more. Maybe the entire write-up can be interpreted into one question. How to motivate people to create events. By publishing I meant, outside of the TB forum calendar, where other bikers not subscribed to TB can see our events. I apologize if I wasn't clear towards the direction of my thinking. I suppose a misunderstanding can also be blamed on second Language, or foreign language and rural mentality. Obliette managed to address the subject in four words and got a huge response with action.