Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Default Why so few TB events?

As the heading asks.
    I came into this world kicking and screaming
    covered in someone else's blood.
    I have no problem going out the same way.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Because nobody ever goes.

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Think Bike is us, everybody! The only way events take place is if somebody with a passion and drive takes the initiative and arranges something. Banner days used to be pretty big with many people getting involved at bridges throughout Johannesburg and Pretoria, at the last one I'm not sure if we managed to man even one. Try calling for volunteers, I did on Think Bike Facebook where we have over 13 000 "members", I got two responses. People unfortunately are willing to spend time posting on the forum or Facebook, but when it comes to putting their money (time) where their mouth is .

Just for interests sake, who would be willing to give up one (or more) Saturday morning a month to go out and hand out leaflets, approach younger riders at malls or even approach centre management to ask if we could set up a stall for a morning in their malls?

Add you name here, and let's see what we can do. Give an indication of your geographic location.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

The reason I asked is because I know some of the older members and have seen their photos of TB events and it looked amazing. I currently live in Empangeni but am planning om moving up toe Gauteng and do not mind giving up time for something like this.

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

It depends what sort of events you are talking about. Are you talking about awareness drives which means handing out pamphlets and things or are you talking about rides / breakfast runs?
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Mostly awareness drives but would not complain about a few rides. I just think awareness drives is worth the effort and should be a lot of fun.

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

There has been a significant loss in momentum for the campaign. We need younger blood, methinks.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Bike
    Waiting
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

That could be a solution, but where are all those who organised and took part in all those previous awareness drives. In the photos you see dozens of TB people. New blood will work but you need those who started it to come back.

Just my opinion.

I'm not here

Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

I would be willing help where I can, south of johannesburg

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

As with every volunteer type of organisation people come and people go. It is always nice to have the old ballies around spreading their joy and wisdom but you can't force them to stay and sometimes when they have lost the passion for it then it is better that they leave instead of spreading negativity

The big thing is for members to get active and participate. The last I heard there were only 2 directors currently on the board and as they are volunteers they can't do it alone. If there is something you want to do in aid of the campaign then contact the directors and get together for a chat about it and then you will need to run with it. Organise the manpower, get whatever you need in terms of banners, pamphlets, whatever There is a meeting on Wednesday evening about getting involved in this type of thing so if you are interested them PM Crash and find out how you can join in the fun

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA LC
    Region
    Western Cape

Shhhhhhhh the meeting on Wednesday night at 6pm is a secret!
    Everybody crashes.
    Some get back on and ride again.
    Some don't.
    Some can't.

Snow White? Not quite.

Bike
    BMW G310R
    Region
    Gauteng

I have on several occasions called for volunteers to attend functions at dayjols, rallies etc......... no response except for the regular three or four that always respond. Two weeks ago hubby and I went to a dayjol alone to represent TB. I did call for volunteers on the forum. I cannot fault anyone for not responding...... nor will I judge as we are all volunteers. On the other hand, I have noticed a disturbing trend....... no one wants to hear the message: They want free stickers and t-shirts. While I agree on getting the message out any way possible, the campaign cannot bear the cost of constantly handing out free stuff. When I discuss the issue of a possible (if very small donation) with the organisers, they are never heard from again.

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Shhhhhhhh the meeting on Wednesday night at 6pm is a secret!

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    I have on several occasions called for volunteers to attend functions at dayjols, rallies etc......... no response except for the regular three or four that always respond. Two weeks ago hubby and I went to a dayjol alone to represent TB. I did call for volunteers on the forum. I cannot fault anyone for not responding...... nor will I judge as we are all volunteers. On the other hand, I have noticed a disturbing trend....... no one wants to hear the message: They want free stickers and t-shirts. While I agree on getting the message out any way possible, the campaign cannot bear the cost of constantly handing out free stuff. When I discuss the issue of a possible (if very small donation) with the organisers, they are never heard from again.
    I have also noticed quite a negative attitude towards Think Bike and I am not sure what has caused this as I am a fairly new-ish member but it feels like it comes from a while back. I don't agree with the negativity but because I don't know where it stems from it is difficult to suggest ways to counteract it. The only thing I can think of is to go out there as Think Bike members and behave in a manner that is befitting of the biking community. So no judgement, no "I'm better than you" attitude just helping out where you can and setting an example for others

Cheeky!
    Bike
    Kawazaki Er6n
    Region
    Gauteng

Think Bike is us, everybody! The only way events take place is if somebody with a passion and drive takes the initiative and arranges something. Banner days used to be pretty big with many people getting involved at bridges throughout Johannesburg and Pretoria, at the last one I'm not sure if we managed to man even one. Try calling for volunteers, I did on Think Bike Facebook where we have over 13 000 "members", I got two responses. People unfortunately are willing to spend time posting on the forum or Facebook, but when it comes to putting their money (time) where their mouth is .

Just for interests sake, who would be willing to give up one (or more) Saturday morning a month to go out and hand out leaflets, approach younger riders at malls or even approach centre management to ask if we could set up a stall for a morning in their malls?

Add you name here, and let's see what we can do. Give an indication of your geographic location.
    - Cubby
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

We might be getting involved in an event near the end of March, I will be having a meeting soon to discuss our participation, out Krugersdorp side. Who would be willing to give up a day or even a couple of hours for a fun filled day with fellow Think Bikers and other bikers in general? Some of us are unfortunately marshalling that day, but any Think Bikers not involved with anything that day, I will be posting details soon.

Cheeky!
    Bike
    Kawazaki Er6n
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    We might be getting involved in an event near the end of March, I will be having a meeting soon to discuss our participation, out Krugersdorp side. Who would be willing to give up a day or even a couple of hours for a fun filled day with fellow Think Bikers and other bikers in general? Some of us are unfortunately marshalling that day, but any Think Bikers not involved with anything that day, I will be posting details soon.

Unfortunately

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Unfortunately
    unfortunately, because it would be lekker to be able to get involved in this myself and I can't be in two places at once. I've committed to one, doesn't mean I wouldn't like to do the other.

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

I will be willing to sit a entire day, at least once a week, Sundays, at our new filling station with new Stee.s restaurant and promote TB not only for Motorcyclists but also for cyclist enthusiasts and interested motorists. Route 62 is a popular tourist route with many motorcycle travelers as well as bicycle tourists on narrow roads. (Without those yellow lines.) The awareness is needed here as a few years ago R 62 was home to the tragedy when a bakkie driver negligently overtook a truck in direct sunlight and hit a pack of bicycle riders outside Outdshoorn. Many cyclists died on the scene and many sustained serious injury.

I can imagine sitting under a TB banner, with my bicycle and bike, to display both as on tour to get enough attention.

I am interested and willing and gladly offer to help, where its needed.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    Noticed

They would much rather start something on their own (if at all) than support TB.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R