Thread: I want to get back into cycling (MTB)

Bike
    Harley Davidson XL883R
    Region
    Gauteng

Comment I want to get back into cycling (MTB)

Hi Guys

I was an avid cyclist when I was in school and university, but ended up selling my old Raleigh and Nishiki MTBs when I started working a few years back. I recently got back on one of my friend's cycles, and just felt at home... so i decided to get back into the whole thing...

The problem is that I do not want to spend thousands on a new MTB, and end up sitting with it collecting dust after a while. I am considering buying a decent entry level bike and then upgrading at a later stage if I feel feel more committed to the sport. What's more, my wife also wants to try it out, but never did any riding other than the school commute years ago.... I will be doing some MTB races and events, and she will probably just (at first) join me some weekends when I practice or do 'fun runs'.

So, let me get to the point - Which MTBs, for me and my wife, should I be looking at for around R1.5k to R4k? And please bear in mind that I am not too interested in the name, but rather the quality of the cycle.

I found these two bikes I like for me and my wife, but would like some expert opinion thereon:
    * RALEIGH 26" Alpine 4.0 Mountain Bike for R1.8k for her

* RALEIGH 29er Sports FRS Alloy Mountain Bike for R4k for me.

Thanks for the input.

Regards
    ASYLUM

Bike
    Harley Davidson XL883R
    Region
    Gauteng

Here are images of the two cycles I mentioned above:

MIN_272037_EAA.jpg
    MIN_255618_EAA.jpg
    ASYLUM

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA LC
    Region
    Western Cape

Wrong forum bud... Where does the motor go? joking...
    This forum is more for the safety around cycling - most okes don't own MTBs.

I think you'll get a much better answer from the okes on The Hub or one of them cycle friendly jobs...

But having said that... I went through the same kinda process some time ago - but ended up spending a bit more on each bike, due to the various components and weight of the bike and what you want to use it for.

The 29 is easier to keep going and handles bumpy stuff easier.
    The 26 is easier to handle in the twisty stuff.

Bike WEIGHT is important - 'cos it's what you have to push up a hill - the closer you get to 10kg, the better.
    Don't know what your Raleigh will weigh. Even if it's 3kg more - that's 3kgs on every single pedal push you do going up that loooooong hill.

Front shocks important - but try get 'lockout' so you can lock it going up hill - otherwise you bounce half your effort into the shocks and not into the back wheel.
    Back shocks only really important if you're doing lots of bumpy downhill stuff.

But then I'm no expert in cycling... just passing on some of the research I did.

I ended up buying a Scott for me and a Jamis for my missus...

Look on Gumtree and see if you can get a good 2nd hand bike - or buy 2nd hand from a bike shop - where they can service it for you and advise on component upgrades etc.

Good luck!
    Everybody crashes.
    Some get back on and ride again.
    Some don't.
    Some can't.

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Echo Crash's opening line! Where are the enginrs??
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100RR
    Region
    Gauteng

I cycle quite a bit a do the MTB cross country,downhill MTB and road cycling.I've also done quite a few stage races and 3 Joberg2c events.To be honest the bikes your looking at will discourage you more from cycling than draw you back in.Your better of looking at second hand bikes,but if you do that route you'll need somebody to help you check them out if your really keen, ill keep an eye out for some good spec bikes at reasonable price so just let me know.

Bike
    CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Honestly, won't touch either of them. Most of the cost comes into the components used, and a quick search gave me the bike you listed as the ones Makro are selling.

I'd rather spend a bit more and get hydraulic disk brakes than mechanical ones, never heard of Zoom suspension and the fact that they don't specify which Shimano gearset they are using indicates it is probably the bottom rung stuff. Also no indication of what the back suspension is. Any particular reason you are set on a full suspension?

Did some shopping around to upgrade recently as well, this is by far the best value for money bikes I could find (components wise).
    Starting from R5999,95 (it's older models, but you'll battle to find anything in the same spec for these prices. Got a higher end one with higher spec components than a bike twice the price).
    http://www.solomonsonline.co.za/CYCL...0gn5oct7jm3ld4

Also the company that do these used to do Raleigh, this is the brand that replaced them when they lost the Raleigh license.

Bike
    CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

And as stated above, check out 2nd hand stuff, you'll be able to find a lot of 26ers for a fraction of what they cost new (the downside is that you'll struggle to resell it again down the line, the 26inch has pretty much fallen away in favour of the 27,5 and 29inch standards for trail and cross-country bikes).

Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng

I own 3 mtbs and a, road bike

Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DeTour View Post
    And as stated above, check out 2nd hand stuff, you'll be able to find a lot of 26ers for a fraction of what they cost new (the downside is that you'll struggle to resell it again down the line, the 26inch has pretty much fallen away in favour of the 27,5 and 29inch standards for trail and cross-country bikes).
    Detour or right. Go onto the hubsa and get a second hand bike.. The Raleighs from game are not even entry level..

You need to spend about 5k on a mtb second hand entry level

I have a GT Avalanche 3.0 26er which I will sell for R3900

it has disk brakes
    shimano gear set of 21 gears
    Hydra formed aluminum frame
    Suntour forks
    Etc

A good light bike..

Or you can spend over 20K on a lighter bike..

Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng

Don't agree with you.. 29ers have been found out as hype.
    29ers are good for rolling
    26ers are, good for agility

They are being advertised as such at sportsman wear house

Bike
    CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Don't agree with you.. 29ers have been found out as hype.
    29ers are good for rolling
    26ers are, good for agility

They are being advertised as such at sportsman wear house
    This subject has been debated to death over the past couple of years, tons of info about the pros and cons of each size out there, so let's not get into that. Simple matter of fact is that the industry standard for all the major manufacturers has shifted to the either the 650B or the 29 inch.

Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng

This subject has been debated to death over the past couple of years, tons of info about the pros and cons of each size out there, so let's not get into that. Simple matter of fact is that the industry standard for all the major manufacturers has shifted to the either the 650B or the 29 inch.
    Thus is still open for discussion as not everyone is big enough for 29er

Bike
    KTM Duke 690 R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
    Here are images of the two cycles I mentioned above:

MIN_272037_EAA.jpg
    MIN_255618_EAA.jpg
    With all due respect, dont waste your money on these.
    As has been said already, you will not enjoy riding one of these tanks.

I would rather hang on a bit and dave a bit more cash and spend in the region of R5k each. Have a look on The HubSA in the classifieds.... theres often some good deals there.

Spawn182 hit the nail on the head.

Spawn182, I see you are a fellow J2c Rider, great race that. I did 2012 in a team and 2013 Solo

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SeanN View Post
    With all due respect, dont waste your money on these.
    As has been said already, you will not enjoy riding one of these tanks.

I would rather hang on a bit and dave a bit more cash and spend in the region of R5k each. Have a look on The HubSA in the classifieds.... theres often some good deals there.

Spawn182 hit the nail on the head.

Spawn182, I see you are a fellow J2c Rider, great race that. I did 2012 in a team and 2013 Solo
    Hi Bud, epic race, if your fit I would recommend it to anybody to put it on their bucket list. you doing 2015??

Bike
    KTM Duke 690 R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn182 View Post
    Hi Bud, epic race, if your fit I would recommend it to anybody to put it on their bucket list. you doing 2015??
    Its getting a bit expensive now so I chose not to... R18,500.00 for a solo entry is a bit on the steep side. One race thats always on my calendar which I wont miss is Mankele 3 Towers, if you havent done it. Entries have opened now so I suggest you enter, lots of climbing but its worth it.

Bike
    Harley Davidson XL883R
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks guys.

I took your comments to heart (being close to V-day and all)!!! I have visited the HubSA, and a few cycle shops. I will probably invest in a R5k+ cycle for me (my wife seems to find reasons why she does not want a cycle), I am looking at something like Silverback or to that extend... I also opened a discussion on the HubSA (http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/topi...t-into-mtbing/), where the discussions are less engine-driven ...

Regards
    ASYLUM

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SeanN View Post
    Its getting a bit expensive now so I chose not to... R18,500.00 for a solo entry is a bit on the steep side. One race thats always on my calendar which I wont miss is Mankele 3 Towers, if you havent done it. Entries have opened now so I suggest you enter, lots of climbing but its worth it.
    Ja it is getting expensive. But still a awesome ride that hasn't been taken over by pro cyclist and sponsors, so the pace and air is nice and relaxed.
    Have cycled in Mankele before but not the three towers, heard it was a tough few days. Will look at it in future.

Bike
    FZ6 S2
    Region
    Gauteng

The hub members think a, R30 000 bike is a cheapie..

Biker
    Bike
    Honda CBX 250 Twister
    Region
    Outside South Africa

I am in a similar position; only I had kept one of my bicycles fortunately, so at least I could get on the old mule of mine and see if I would actually continue riding even after the first moments of sheer joy were outlived by the many steep climbs we happen to have in our area.
    Been doing my research and was glad o be seated when I saw the prices! It seems way out of proportion, even though there is a huge list of manufacturer's these days; for frames that is. Shimano and SRAM are dominating the component market as far as I can tell. Other components do not seem to be durable/reliable enough to break into the market. That said, Shimano at least has a wide range of components available and even the cheapest ones in their range should be of sufficient quality for the recreational rider. Do not waste your money on the cheapest components, when your chain jumps for the third time within a kilometer you will want to throw the bicycle against the wall and never pick one up again. I have been there, it's not worth it!
    To get to the point: it is definitely worthwhile spending a little extra on decent components and rather buying a hardtail, than a fully. Momsen (a local SA company) has decent budget bicycles in their range as far as I can tell.

Good luck!