Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spirit helmets in PTA?

Bike
    Honda CBR1000RR FIREBLADE & CBX250 TWISTER
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Spirit helmets in PTA?

Hey guys, where could I go view Spirit helmets in pta? Their prices looks great.. Would like to go check out their products
    ------I put Wet Stuff on the Red Stuff!!! ----

Bike
    VFR400 custom fighter
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Proton View Post
    Hey guys, where could I go view Spirit helmets in pta? Their prices looks great.. Would like to go check out their products
    I've bought four spirit helmets from panorama fleamarket ranging between R850 and R1200 for the top of the range. I know it's a bit far from you, but if you don't come right, you now know where exactly you can find them. (YES THEY ARE ORIGINAL)

Maybe try some fleamarkets that side??

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Also saw them at China Mall on Jan Smuts (Randburg?)

And WOA stock them...or at least the WC one did...

I did not like their customer service (Spirit, not the dealers) when I bought my dads helmet, so I would not buy anything from them again...

Would rather pay more and receive better support.
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks so far guys

Biker Trash
    Bike
    GS (Amadeus)
    Region
    Gauteng

Montana family (flea) market (next to Kolonnade) and also some stalls at the Welwitchia market at Harties also sell them. If you want adventure helmets (also Sprit) then EMD racing in Doringkloof can help too.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Any idea what the flea market at montana's prices are like?

Biker Trash
    Bike
    GS (Amadeus)
    Region
    Gauteng

Any idea what the flea market at montana's prices are like?
    Very good, in fact I remember seeing a helmet cheaper than on Spirit's website. Moght have been an older stock item, though.

Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha Fz6
    Region
    Gauteng

how are the helmets? Safe enough?

My brain is basically the only good part of me, So i want to protect it

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Lets not go into that... We can argue the whole day... Lol... IMO... If a helmet is safety approved then its just as good as the next... The mahoruty of the time its a money making thing if you ask me... I bought a VEGA hdlmet 4years ago and for R500 new, it was well wort it! It was a chicken cage when it comes to wind but safety it was just as good as the next on the entry market... And to make it even more of a bargain.. It is a fibre glass shell... See what you pay for those? Have a look... I am in the fire service and I have seen some expensive shark helmets shattered to pieces on calls... All injection molded helmets... And any shark helmets are far from entry level price... So its all up to you.. But my opinion is, if you ride a twister, then you probably on a budget! So who the hell pays the same amount of money for a helmey and jacket as his bike costs hahahahaha... Wear what you want! I dont have an Image issue... Lol

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Lets not go into that... We can argue the whole day... Lol... IMO... If a helmet is safety approved then its just as good as the next... The mahoruty of the time its a money making thing if you ask me... I bought a VEGA hdlmet 4years ago and for R500 new, it was well wort it! It was a chicken cage when it comes to wind but safety it was just as good as the next on the entry market... And to make it even more of a bargain.. It is a fibre glass shell... See what you pay for those? Have a look... I am in the fire service and I have seen some expensive shark helmets shattered to pieces on calls... All injection molded helmets... And any shark helmets are far from entry level price... So its all up to you.. But my opinion is, if you ride a twister, then you probably on a budget! So who the hell pays the same amount of money for a helmey and jacket as his bike costs hahahahaha... Wear what you want! I dont have an Image issue... Lol
    So, are you saying the British Government Sharp Rating system is a hoax? I believe not. The safety rating you refer to is a MINIMUM spec, so you can get a ECE 22-05 approved helmet that rates 1-star, or a ECE22-05 approved helmet rated 5-star. One conforms to the minimum spec, one exceeds the minimum spec. By your reasoning all cars with any NCAP safety rating are equally safe. We all know they are not. In the same way all helmets passing ECE 22-05 are not equal.

The reason why the safer helmets shatter or crack is because they dissipate g-forces, just like crumble zones in cars. Surely as a emergency safety worker you know that getting rid of g-forces is way more important than preventing intrusion?

Anyway, one thing you said that makes sense is that you wear what you want to. It is your choice. Spirit helmets are ECE22-05 approved which tells me they should be good enough.

Just a note. If you think I ride with a ECE22-05 approved helmet, rated 5-Stars by the British Government testing facility because I have an image issue, you are dead wrong.
    Last edited by AMZ; 01-01-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Here we go... Lol... Wear what you want, your choice! If I have to go into deatil abojt my previous comment about helmets shattering, I would be buisy typing for an hour... Crumple zones = of course! =logic... But ive seen things... Im not gonna go into it, lets just leave it at that and move on... Im not gonna argue with anyone about it.. Have a good evening guys...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Here we go... Lol... Wear what you want, your choice! If I have to go into deatil abojt my previous comment about helmets shattering, I would be buisy typing for an hour... Crumple zones = of course! =logic... But ive seen things... Im not gonna go into it, lets just leave it at that and move on... Im not gonna argue with anyone about it.. Have a good evening guys...
    No. We are not going anywhere. You shared your opinion.

I gave mine, which it seems you did not read properly before responding.

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Anyway, one thing you said that makes sense is that you wear what you want to. It is your choice. Spirit helmets are ECE22-05 approved which tells me they should be good enough.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

AMZ Do you ride a Twister or budget ride? Coz I see BMW in your profile... If I didnt know better I think I unintentionally struck a nerve when I said "on a Budget"... You said what you needed to justify paying R10k for a helmet, so what else do you need from me? Surely my less than 1k helmet will probably fail before yours when put to the test... But my point is I would not be surprised it it holds up just as well... Again, Buy what you want... I dont care if my statement makes ANY sense to you or not... It just may to someone else who is also on a Budget... Budget by fate or by choice...

Just on a side note... I Have 2 Shark RSI helmets that I use on the track, lovely helmets but very overpriced helmets... I also have a BMW flip face helmet which I think is more crap than my Vega lol... But again.. This is MY OPINION and serves as valuable info to some and as entertainment to other.. Choose for yourselves hehe.... Have a GREAT evening peeps, im on nightshift, be safe tonight

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I did not pay R10k for a helmet. Not even close.

I thought you stated categorically that you were not willing to discuss this?

Yes, it is your opinion and I refer you back to my original post again! Please read it, this time round.

It is indeed YOUR OPINION and it most certainly serves as valuable info to readers. No doubt about that. Thing is, so does my opinion, no? What you have immediately pounced upon as an argument is not.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks AMZ, on behalf of all readers we appreciate your valuable input and do take it into consideration ;)

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks AMZ, on behalf of all readers we appreciate your valuable input and do take it into consideration ;)
    Just so you can appreciate my valuable input even more and take it into even more serious consideration, see what I said about Spirit Helmets in June 2011 already.

Agreed. Buy the best helmet you can afford. These helmets have all the right stamps of approval. SABS as well as ECE 22.05 (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe) which is much stricter than SABS and required by 50 countries worldwide.

The problem with South Africa is, how do we know these are real? I would happily buy and wear any helmet with ECE 22.05 approval if I can be sure that it does actually have that stamp of approval and not just a sticker plakked on somewhere in China, or in a warehouse in Jo'ies. These guys however, advertise large on their website that they have the approvals of both the SABS and ECE 22.05. I am not sure that they would say that as openly as that, if it was not true.

In the end, if I did buy a helmet, I would ensure that the ECE 22.05 certification sticker is on it, which these helmets do.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Just so you can appreciate my valuable input even more and take it into even more serious consideration, see what I said about Spirit Helmets in June 2011 already.
    Read through the thread now and thought I would share my input on Spirit helmets. To get record straight so there's no mud fling my way later. No I don't own a twister or ride what you would call a budget bike. Neither do I own budget kit. I believe in Shark lids and Alpine Star kit. My friend rides a Vstorm and bought a Spirit helmet awhile ago, don't know the model name but it's the dual purpose lid. He showed me the helmet the other day after normal commuting use and some of the panels on side of helmet have completely broken loose. For me the build quality looks questionable and I think it's fair to warn would be buyers since you don't want this helmet breaking open like an egg if involved in a down. So use it or don't use it.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn182 View Post
    Read through the thread now and thought I would share my input on Spirit helmets. To get record straight so there's no mud fling my way later. No I don't own a twister or ride what you would call a budget bike. Neither do I own budget kit. I believe in Shark lids and Alpine Star kit. My friend rides a Vstorm and bought a Spirit helmet awhile ago, don't know the model name but it's the dual purpose lid. He showed me the helmet the other day after normal commuting use and some of the panels on side of helmet have completely broken loose. For me the build quality looks questionable and I think it's fair to warn would be buyers since you don't want this helmet breaking open like an egg if involved in a down. So use it or don't use it.
    Thanks Spawn... Im gonna go have a look at these helmets myself tomorrw if all goes well...

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Spawn... Im gonna go have a look at these helmets myself tomorrw if all goes well...
    Pleasure bud. Good luck with the shift.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

No shifting ;) I still use my RSI's on the track though...