Thread: Newbie

Lurker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 796
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Newbie

Hello

I am a new biker, went on a BMW beginner training course, bought a new bike and need to gain more experience riding. What would be the best way to do this. I work in town and don't think I am ready to take commuting there on just yet...

Vicente

Adventure Biker
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Welcome, being in Gauteng, rain season there, use the bike on "forecast" clear skies days. Wake up a bit earlier and commute when traffic is not so scary. Same with going home. In time you'll get use to the handling of your ride, and it wouldn't be long, you'll find yourself lane splitting, and find yourself "following" other bikers and their practices. In time you'll realize how great the bike is and how terrible cars is. I'm always on two wheels, rain or sunshine and the day I'm in the car, the biggest issue is to get the passengers to "shut up" and the back seat drivers comments .... Just jump into the deep-end... and you'll quickly learn to swim.

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Welcome my suggestion is start in the early mornings on the weekends. Lots less traffic so you don't feel too intimidated and join the noob breakfast runs they will help to build up your confidence and you get to ride at your own pace as well as get some great guidance and advice from the "wise ones"
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Hooligan Biker Garth aka Gollywoc's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda Transalp 650
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome. You chose a good month to start! With everyone going to bug the Capies in December, the roads will be quieter (I assume, my first Gautie December...) and help ease you into the commuting side of things when you ready.

Happy and safe riding!
    Ricers are bikers too!

Lurker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 796
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks all for the advice, good point about December being quiet, I think I will give it a try...

Cheeky!
    Bike
    Kawazaki Er6n
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome and many miles of safe riding. If you want company on a ride just post and you will find people willing to join. After all, any reason to be on the bike.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

My initial rides I did on the quiet side roads until I got used to the motions. Then I sat in a bit of traffic on my first few commutes. I was fortunate that it was in the cooler winter months at least.

Remember - you don't HAVE to split.
    You can safely ride like a car until you feel safe (and it is safe!) to split between cars.

There's a noob runbeing planned for early next year, which is also a good way to get some riding time in.

Also - Get membership ;)
    It gives you road cover if you run out of luck and get hurt, gets you a few discounts on kit at some of the bikes shops and it helps fund a few crazy efforts around the country.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R