Thread: Valuation of bikes. Having to sell my dad's two bikes, what to ask and how to proceed

Bike
    Kawasaki KLR 650 ; Suzuki RG 125 F
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Support Valuation of bikes. Having to sell my dad's two bikes, what to ask and how to proceed

Hope this is in the right section. I need some advice.

My old man passed away a year ago, and we are almost at the point of being able to sell his two bikes he left. I will be buying a bike for myself with the money from one of them and the other will be going to my sister. Question is, how do we know we are getting the right price for them and what is the best way to go about selling? Private, trade or to a dealership?

The bikes are a 2000 Fireblade RR, and a 2002? BMW K1200RS. Both bikes are in great condition, though I have no idea where their service history and stuff is. The BMW has a leak on the front brake-line, but should be an easy fix. Apart from that and batteries, they are good to go!

I live in another province at the moment so my sister and mother will be doing the selling, so I'm scared they will be taken for a ride. One guy at a bike shop here said he will give me R50K for the blade, but he was trying to sell me a new KLR so it may have been part of his salesman tactics

Any advice will be appreciated as we are all new at this.

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA LC
    Region
    Western Cape

Bikefind.co.za or even Gumtree is a good starting point for the Blade...
    Mileage and age are the two main factors guys look at.

For the BMW, contact Bavarian in Centurion... take photos of any numbers you can find on the bike - this will give them the exact year/ model...
    Also look at the BMW motorrad website - used bikes section for a comparison.

Selling privately takes time and energy - but you'll get more for the bikes... but there are risks.
    Selling to a dealer is quick & easy, but you'll take a knock - for him to then sit with the bike and sell it (at his risk)
    Trading one bike in on another is always an option - but know your price and shop around.

Don't be in a hurry to sell (i.e. don't take the first offer).

Won't hurt to get the bikes into the dealer for a service and then casually talk to the sales guys while they sort out the issues. You don't want to include issues in an introduction/ advert.
    Everybody crashes.
    Some get back on and ride again.
    Some don't.
    Some can't.

Bike
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Won't hurt to get the bikes into the dealer for a service and then casually talk to the sales guys while they sort out the issues. You don't want to include issues in an introduction/ advert.
    I was wondering about this. Will I get back what I put in to it if I have them serviced?

Bike
    Back to my ROOTS
    Region
    Gauteng

Dont know about the Blade, but give this chap a ring about the K, he is a really knowledgable guy on older BMW's and will give you an honest answer Cyril 072-372-1928
    Ride with the Eagles in Safety! Not with the Angels by Accident

In Memory of Blackie Swart! A Man among men, and a true Friend! RIP!

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA LC
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by _Xan_ View Post
    Will I get back what I put in to it if I have them serviced?
    I wouldn't look at it like that...

More of getting them back into the condition your dad would be proud of - that you can sell them with a proud heart.

You will battle to find a buyer for a bike that is showing a 'small leak'... they will ask the question "so why didn't you get it sorted out, if it's so small"? i.e. what else is wrong with the bike that you're NOT telling?
    Everybody crashes.
    Some get back on and ride again.
    Some don't.
    Some can't.

Bike
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I wouldn't look at it like that...

More of getting them back into the condition your dad would be proud of - that you can sell them with a proud heart.

You will battle to find a buyer for a bike that is showing a 'small leak'... they will ask the question "so why didn't you get it sorted out, if it's so small"? i.e. what else is wrong with the bike that you're NOT telling?
    Ahh, makes sense. They are getting checked out from a guy my dad trusted so yeah, the leak will be fixed and new batteries are going in. It's just difficult selling the bikes from 300km away.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Why not keep one for yourself, and just sell the other for your sister?
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Why not keep one for yourself, and just sell the other for your sister?
    Tempting, but I want to get a duelsport / something to comute with. I'm looking at a KLR or would really love a BMW 650 X-Country.

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by _Xan_ View Post
    Tempting, but I want to get a duelsport / something to comute with. I'm looking at a KLR or would really love a BMW 650 X-Country.
    Ah, I see.
    I used to commute with my old ZXR750J and GSXR750, so can be done! Just putting it out there!

Well, good luck with the sales! And subsequent bike hunt!
    Ricers are bikers too!