Thread: Back to biking and back to the forum after 2 years

N00b
    Bike
    Suzuki GN250
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Back to biking and back to the forum after 2 years

Hi all,

The bike bug bit me about 3 years ago, so I went out and did a beginners course, bought a cheap Suzuki GN250 and puttered around Joburg's north eastern suburbs for a year. Occasionally I would go out onto the highway, but with my top speed being about 120 on a downhill it wasn't fun. I made my way out to Zwartkops raceway once because I wanted to see what happens at a racetrack. That was cool, except I felt like everyone was laughing at my skedonk bike. Bloody speedbike snobs. My longest ride was my one and only breakfast run with 3 riders I met on this forum. That was awesome. We went down south somewhere on the way to Vereeniging/Vanderbijlpark. That was with AMZ, Mags and Incorrigible. I learnt that on a breakfast run there is a lot of eating, a lot of talking sh*t and even a bit of riding.
    I haven't ridden in 2 years though and have only occasionally been on the forum. But the bike bug has bitten again strongly. So I went out and put a new battery in my bike and it started up and I took it for a ride around the garden. It seems to be running fine but the brakes are wining, I'll have to take that somewhere to get looked at.
    But now I'd like to get back in to riding a bit more regularly. I have all these plans of trading my Suzuki in for a Kawasaki Versys 650 and going on a trip down to the Kruger Park or something like that. Just packing a change of clothes, hopping on my bike and riding off into the sunset and coming back like 3 or 4 days later.
    Well thats the dream at the moment.
    I guess I need to get back on to the road on the Suzuki first though. I don't have the confidence to be on the highway again yet. Maybe I should go and do a refresher introductory bike course. Is there such a thing?

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself.

Later ...

Trip 7s
    Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Keane. Welcome back, you definitely picked the right folk to ride with back then. Wishing you luck with your bike shopping, keep it safe.

Bike
    F800GT
    Region
    Western Cape

Welcome Back! There are some programs around to ease you back into the rubber down side of things and the people in your neck of the woods are the best people to talk to. Some of them will probably make themselves known later.
    When LIfe Becomes Pedestrian, It's Time To Ride!!!

Bike
    R1200RT(81kw) & Silverback Alpine (2 x legpower)
    Region
    Gauteng

Welcome back check out the Rider Training thread
    https://forum.thinkbike.co.za/signat...pic6115_11.gif Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Welcome back to 2 wheels don't ever worry about what everyone else is riding or what they think of what you ride. If you love her then that's all that matters and don't be shy to join the breakfast runs there are plenty around with smaller bikes / slower riders and if you can't find one then create your own and invite people along I think Speed Queen Racing does a refresher type beginners course. They are based in Centurion Have fun and ride safely
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

N00b
    Bike
    Suzuki GN250
    Region
    Gauteng

That chirp about the speedbike snobs was actually said tongue-in-cheek. I was joking. I guess I should have put a wink after it. But anyway, thanks for the replies. I have checked out the rider training thread and found a course that suits me. Thanks all.

"The drinking town with a farming problem."
    Bike
    Honda Twister (Oliver)
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Welcome Keane!

I met a guy a while back who laughed when I told him I rode to Cape Town on my Twister. "Whatcha doin in that cage, then?" says I. "Oh, my R1's not going at the moment, I'm waiting for delivery of the R20K spare part it needs..."

I'm heading in the direction of Kruger after Christmas. Did you know there are 7 waterfalls in Mpumalanga? When were you planning to go?

May the road rise up to meet you
    May the wind be always at your back
    May the sun shine warm upon your face...
    And until we meet again
    May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Wow! Welcome back. I though we had scared you off after our ride to the Circus Coffee Shoppe.

Get back in riding. Buy the Versys or equivalent. Pack the toothbrush and underwear and hit the road as planned. You will not be disappointed.