Thread: Getting into Dual-Sporting? Advice needed

Bike
    Kawasaki KLR 650 ; Suzuki RG 125 F
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Default Getting into Dual-Sporting? Advice needed

Hey guys.

I want to get a dual sport bike for commuting every day, weekend fun in a bit of dirt and also possibly a few longer trips. I'm looking at the 650 class in particular.

I was pretty much convinced I wanted a secondhand 650GS, but then I saw a brand new, out of the box, plastic still on the seat KLR for sale for R60 000. So with my mind made up that that would be it, I walked past a 650 X-Country in the parking lot and just loved the look of it!

So what would you guys do in my shoes? Go for a newer KLR? Or an older BMW, the GS or the X-Country or even the X-Chalenge?

I don't have a solid budget yet, but max R60 000, hoping to come in at a bit less though.

Bike
    Honda NC700X
    Region
    Gauteng

Both good solid bikes that will do everything you mention.
    The bike WILL choose you, go ride both and then make up your mind
    Also keep some $$$$ for the necessary gear.
    For some there's therapy, for the rest of us there's riding!

Bike
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Quote Originally Posted by RyC View Post
    Also keep some $$$$ for the necessary gear.
    That's what I'm thinking. If I get a cheaper second hand bike, I'd be less reluctant to take it offroad, and I'll have money for gear. But with those BMWs how old is too old? And how many km is too many?

Bike
    Honda NC700X
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by _Xan_ View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. If I get a cheaper second hand bike, I'd be less reluctant to take it offroad, and I'll have money for gear. But with those BMWs how old is too old? And how many km is too many?
    The BMW fan club will probably swing past shortly
    The 650 BMW engine is rock solid. Given the support one gets from most dealers (there do seem to be dodgy ones) it would be a good choice.
    KLR is also pretty much bullet proof so at the end of the day it is what suits you better!
    For some there's therapy, for the rest of us there's riding!

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RyC View Post
    The BMW fan club will probably swing past shortly
    The 650 BMW engine is rock solid. Given the support one gets from most dealers (there do seem to be dodgy ones) it would be a good choice.
    KLR is also pretty much bullet proof so at the end of the day it is what suits you better!

Ride the GS 800 before you make your decision

Bike
    Region
    Mpumalanga

I would like to have a twin rather than a single, but they are much more expensive. And how heavy are they? I'm a skinny dude!

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm selling my klr 650. 06 model. R35 plus extras

Bike
    The "C"
    Region
    Gauteng

The X-country is rock solid and biased towards off-road. Riding position is very much upright and "over the handles".
    It struggles a bit over 140 kmph and it will gnaw out your kidneys on a longish ride.
    If you want to get into dualies, buy used the first time around. Chances are when learning to ride the loose stuff you will have the occasional scrape or 2...
    2 underrated bikes (twin cylinders) which you can pick up used and at a fair price are the Honda Transalp 650 and the Suzuki DL (V Strom) 650. Both are around 192kg dry. On the downside, both have too much plastics which can be expensive to replace after an off.
    The Transalp was replaced with a 700cc model around 2008. This model has a lot more power but cannot really aspire to ride the loose stuff, as its front wheel size got smaller.
    I`ve seen a few ads on the Honda and Suzuki for around mid R 40K`s, thus well inside your budget.
    Suddenly terror struck...he`s never seen a naked woman before...

Bike
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Quote Originally Posted by hei ew View Post
    I'm selling my klr 650. 06 model. R35 plus extras
    Where are you located? Got any photos?

Bike
    Region
    Mpumalanga

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    The X-country is rock solid and biased towards off-road. Riding position is very much upright and "over the handles".
    It struggles a bit over 140 kmph and it will gnaw out your kidneys on a longish ride.
    If you want to get into dualies, buy used the first time around. Chances are when learning to ride the loose stuff you will have the occasional scrape or 2...
    2 underrated bikes (twin cylinders) which you can pick up used and at a fair price are the Honda Transalp 650 and the Suzuki DL (V Strom) 650. Both are around 192kg dry. On the downside, both have too much plastics which can be expensive to replace after an off.
    The Transalp was replaced with a 700cc model around 2008. This model has a lot more power but cannot really aspire to ride the loose stuff, as its front wheel size got smaller.
    I`ve seen a few ads on the Honda and Suzuki for around mid R 40K`s, thus well inside your budget.
    I'll definitely look into them! Thanks!

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng

sent you a pm ;p
    Attached Images Attached Images