Thread: My friend T-boned a cager in Edenvale

N00b
    Bike
    BMW 1200 GSA
    Region
    Gauteng

Default My friend T-boned a cager in Edenvale

Hi

(happened last night, 30 Sept just after 6)

Same old story, guy stopped to let someone in from the left and my friend T-boned the car crossing. Luckily no serious injuries, dislocated wrist and broken finger.

Very scary to get that call though. Worst of all was that the cager was rude and demanded that my friend pay for the damage to his car. Some people...

Safe driving everyone

Bike
    CB600F Hornet
    Region
    Gauteng

Your friend is going to have to pay for the damage though.
    Glad his injuries weren't too serious.
    Remember, near the end of your ride: your speed may be slower, but your concentration must be higher.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Happy that your friend is okay.

Remember, some people .... even cagers, after an accident suffer from shock.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Let the insurance fight out the damages.

I cross several intersections that remind me how dangerous those crossings can be, but luckily only had a handful of oh-shucks moments over the years.
    Normally the known intersections are safe enough, it's those hidden ones that rarely carry traffic or on unfamiliar routes that is most likely to catch me out.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

You see that happen so often and everyone needs to be careful. Pay attention to the traffic in the lane next to you. if it is stopped for some reason then slow down to give yourself more time to look out for hazards / cars crossing / etc. There is an intersection in my area that I have started to avoid because i am worried someone is going to have a crash there and i don't want to be involved if it does. It's a little bit awkward to put a robot up there as there is one about 20 / 30 metres before the crossing. Bad planning on the roads department I guess that causes these situations
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC View Post
    You see that happen so often and everyone needs to be careful. Pay attention to the traffic in the lane next to you. if it is stopped for some reason then slow down to give yourself more time to look out for hazards / cars crossing / etc. There is an intersection in my area that I have started to avoid because i am worried someone is going to have a crash there and i don't want to be involved if it does. It's a little bit awkward to put a robot up there as there is one about 20 / 30 metres before the crossing. Bad planning on the roads department I guess that causes these situations
    Traffic lights are the more obvious ones to be wary of, cars aren't suppose to enter the intersection unless they can pass which allow traffic to turn, so you should ride as if you wouldn't be able to go through until you can verify no-one else is passing.

And somewhat off-topic - don't tailgate a rider when splitting, leave a 2 second gap like you would (should?) in normal traffic!

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post

And somewhat off-topic - don't tailgate a rider when splitting, leave a 2 second gap like you would (should?) in normal traffic!
    I normally pull over and let them pass me in such a situation because it is very dangerous....

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I normally pull over and let them pass me in such a situation because it is very dangerous....
    Same, but I only pull over once I get to a clearing in traffic.

A few times merging back in I had to beware not to hit another biking riding so close behind the one I'm giving a gap that you couldn't spot him.