Thread: New Here. Sort Of.

Lurker
    Bike
    XR 125 L
    Region
    Western Cape

Default New Here. Sort Of.

Hi Guys & Girls.

I wanted to ride a motorcycle when I was a young boy. I was taught that cars are safer and motorcycles are dangerous. So I bought a car when I could as a means of transport and never got a motorcycle. Had great fun with my first car. But I did some reckless things with them sometimes, as a younger man back then. Good thing they had four wheels.

Five years ago, I thought it would be nice to get a motorcycle. But did not. Got a 4x4 and had fantastic travels and saw great places.

About a year and a half ago, I started to look at motorcycles. Researched. Read. Decided it is going to happen. Even found two or three cruisers which I really wanted to buy. They were not Hondas by the way.

A year ago I almost bought one and joined this forum in preparation of the learning curve that would follow should if one decide to venture on our roads with two wheels less. I also reckoned that not being as brave (read irresponsible) as I was when I started driving four wheels, I am mature enough now to get two wheels and be responsible with it, despite the risk, which can not be thought away.

I have been lurking. Never posted on any forum before, but read many posts here on TB, especially on advice about starting out and concerning protective clothing.

Decided not to buy a heavy cruiser to start out on. Wanted to get a Honda CBX 250, but the used ones down here in the Cape are either high milers or over priced, compared to Gauteng or smaller places. Or they have a doubtful history as to how it was looked after. Almost bought a NC700X instead. Quite a few pennies for some of us, especially while not knowing if one would even like being on two wheels, with only yourself, the judgment of fellow road users, and your choice of gear to protecting you from risk and the elements.

Ended up deciding to stop postponing before my learners expires and I now bought a humble Honda XR125L. To learn on. To probably get to like it for its nimbleness, hopefully reliability and economy. No further predictions there. Nor expectations.

So as many before me has said: I took the plunge. And wanted to say Hi.

So Hi and thank you, for the forum as a source of information and an introduction to safety-aware two wheeled travel.

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA LC
    Region
    Western Cape

Awesome!!! Welcome neighbor
    Everybody crashes.
    Some get back on and ride again.
    Some don't.
    Some can't.

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Welcome

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Region
    North West

Welcome! The XR125 is a great bike to learn on, and should be very reliable too

Bike
    Sym CityCom 300i
    Region
    Western Cape

Name:  Welcome 3.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  22.5 KB
    Good to see someone having done their homework before taking the plunge. Also good to see that you weren't scared off.

Lurker
    Bike
    XR 125 L
    Region
    Western Cape

Thank you for the friendly welcomes. I tend to overthink things sometimes, and buying the small Honda now was one of those times. Fuel consumption according to fuelly.com so far is >44 km/l. Happy with that.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by koeberg View Post
    Thank you for the friendly welcomes. I tend to overthink things sometimes, and buying the small Honda now was one of those times. Fuel consumption according to fuelly.com so far is >44 km/l. Happy with that.
    Holy Heck that's impressive!

Safe riding!
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Lurker
    Bike
    XR 125 L
    Region
    Western Cape

Talking Still travelling light...

Filled up the fietsie today. Thought maybe the consumption was a bit optimistic first time round at 44.68km/l. So I made sure I filled up properly. Surprise: 44,7 km to the litre!