Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learners license requirements (money, ID, photos?)

Bike
    '06 Kawasaki Z750S
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Learners license requirements (money, ID, photos?)

Hey all,

So a friend of mine needs to get some transport sooner than later. I will be assisting her with getting her learners for a bike and car (she wants to write it together).

So now it has been quite a while since I had to worry about licenses, even longer since I had to worry about my learners.
    Hoping to get some info from you guys quickly. How many ID photos will be needed, how much money to take with and how many copies of your ID?
    Is there anything else I am forgetting which will be required?

Thanks,
    Psy
    Fuelly

Bike
    Duke 390 - UAE
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Hey Psy,

i cant remember how much it was but i can remember it is cash only. There are some places you can get to book for you. speak to your local motorbike school or dealer. They might be able to help.

Also you cant do both at once. you need to write it twice

Hope that helps

Bike
    BMW F650GS, Rose R6, CB400F (ICU)
    Region
    Gauteng

Uhm..... no. Sorry LawMongrel (Hi sweety) for interrupting, a friend of mine's daughter just did both her learners for bike and car at one go in Centurion. Writing once with an added section for the bike. She got the learners for the car but failed the bike's so only have to re-write the bike.
    Ride with me, drink with me, party with me, make memories with me, defend our lifestyle with me but whatever else you do, never **** with me. I just did not want you to mistake my jovial nature as a weakness. I AM WHAT I AM - A BIKER BY CHOICE.

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Not sure where you are based but if you don't mind a drive you can generally book at Akasia and write the next week. Sometimes the next day if you are ready

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Apparently only Centurion still physically write the test. All other stations uses an electronic system which, according to some peeps and some driving schools, is more difficult to pass.
    Ride with me, drink with me, party with me, make memories with me, defend our lifestyle with me but whatever else you do, never **** with me. I just did not want you to mistake my jovial nature as a weakness. I AM WHAT I AM - A BIKER BY CHOICE.

Bike
    Duke 390 - UAE
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Elouise View Post
    Uhm..... no. Sorry LawMongrel (Hi sweety) for interrupting, a friend of mine's daughter just did both her learners for bike and car at one go in Centurion. Writing once with an added section for the bike. She got the learners for the car but failed the bike's so only have to re-write the bike.
    Thats awesome except for the failing part

Bike
    Kawasaki ER-6F
    Region
    Western Cape

Only know for the bike learners. U need 2 ID PHOTOS / R68 for the booking / R33 when u go write ( no idea why ) . Hope that helps a bit.
    Cheers
    Dress for the crash, not the ride!

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Whahahahaha yeah well, teenagers know E V E R Y T H I N G !!! and when something like this happens, everybody is wrong except them. Oh boy, and if you want to unleash a devil then you make another appointment there and then and let them pay for it themselves. That's how they learn.

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke :)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Elouise View Post
    Apparently only Centurion still physically write the test. All other stations uses an electronic system which, according to some peeps and some driving schools, is more difficult to pass.
    Bedfordview also uses the written test.

Also, one copy of ID for the application form. 2 ID photos, might need 3 if they do separate issues for bike and car though.

Bike
    Honda CBR250 R
    Region
    Western Cape

Akasia uses the electronic ones and it is tough in that most of the options could possibly be right but if you study for it then you should pass

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    "What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" Nickelback

Bike
    '06 Kawasaki Z750S
    Region
    Gauteng

Hmm, we will be booking in Randburg most likely. Closest and therefore the easiest - she also needs a bit of time to study soo we will see what date she is given.

Glad you can still write it at the same time, even with the electronic tests - as for it being harder. I guess I am glad I am done with that! :P hehe
    What is the best way to study, still with the K53 book? I remember there were some actual tests floating around back when I was writing - it was nice to use to test yourself.
    Not too sure the same exists with the newer electronic tests?
    Fuelly

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Silly but remember take a pen. Hide it.....lend out mine and never came back. lol

I don't see anyone mention proof of residence, they asked for that. They only used 1 of the photo's I brought along, but notice I'll need another 2 when passing the test.

ps: Stay away from Midrand dept. Total cluster &*(#k. I ended up making a booking at Sandton dept and was fairly painless. Test Thursday then it's off to BMW to collect me bike!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by PsyCLown View Post
    even with the electronic tests - as for it being harder. I guess I am glad I am done with that! :P hehe
    What is the best way to study, still with the K53 book? I remember there were some actual tests floating around back when I was writing - it was nice to use to test yourself.
    Not too sure the same exists with the newer electronic tests?
    http://www.k53-test.co.za/

"K53 Test App" also nice (both app and site a mirror of the actual test / official k53 book)

Bike
    GSX-R1000A,SuzukiGSX-S1000F
    Region
    Gauteng

Copy and original proof of residence
    copy with original ID.
    Eye test to be done, take your eye glasses
    Randburg - electronic

to study also do the online test for R30. you get to do this five times. there are some discrepancies between the online test and the book make sure you get it right as those are the ones being tested.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Anyone know if Sandton is manual (all i ever did) or electronic and why people say it's more difficult?

Know I will pass, just got so much riding on it (no pass = no bike, no bike = 1800 paid for nothing for weekend's rider courses)

I am dreaming of a mielie field ...
    Bike
    Gobolino, my sister's 125cc Bajaj Platina
    Region
    Gauteng

Want to go make my appointment in Boksburg this week. Advice?

Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk
    Ride so you can ride again tomorrow.
    From your friendly cager

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Want to go make my appointment in Boksburg this week. Advice?

Ok, it took me a month to get there, but the learner's test is booked. Now here's the madness: I have less than 45 hours before I write the test on Thursday morning @08:00! This is where I need your tips to prepare adequately! Please please please?

I already have the book (bought a new one this morning to be sure I'm up to date). Thinking of doing that online test as well, to see where I'm rusty.

From your friendly cager

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    BMW Ninet Scrambler
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    This is where I need your tips to prepare adequately!
    I also used the book / online test. Very useful.

However, having written few "written tests", and my bike learners was the first electronic test, I'm not 100% sure I would have passed if I did not "accidentally" went over the official road rule documentation the previous day.
    Some of the questions wasn't "straight" from the book and had several questions where it was either hard to pick the right one (more than one "right" answer) and a few questions which were not covered by the book (one that comes to mind is how far your light should shine I think)

Just google "rules of the road south africa"

You'll be fine. Enjoy

Chill. I did that, started last and finished first. It's really not that hard.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by niconel View Post
    I also used the book / online test. Very useful.

However, having written few "written tests", and my bike learners was the first electronic test, I'm not 100% sure I would have passed if I did not "accidentally" went over the official road rule documentation the previous day.
    Some of the questions wasn't "straight" from the book and had several questions where it was either hard to pick the right one (more than one "right" answer) and a few questions which were not covered by the book (one that comes to mind is how far your light should shine I think)

Just google "rules of the road south africa"

You'll be fine. Enjoy

Chill. I did that, started last and finished first. It's really not that hard.
    Thank you. This will be my 6th time doing a learners (the first one I had to do 3 times before I got it, and the other 2 was for different vehicle codes), but the first one on the electronic test as well. My book is the rules of the road and roadsigns etc. as well as "test-yourself" questions, and I often test myself on roadsigns etc.

Congratulations on the pass!
    From your friendly cager

Biker
    Bike
    KTM 200cc EXC and Yamaha FZR 400cc
    Region
    Gauteng

Passed mine for the second time yesterday (7 years ago i wrote it,passed and never did anything further!)

use your phone! search in your app store "K53". tons of apps, some pay for, some free. i used the free ones.
    i wrote at Kempton.
    The test there is entirely computerised.

NB. i got asked some odd stuff! IE what must a silencer do at all times? - not be excessively noisy or allow exhaust gases to pass through it. Never seen a question like that in any book. (one oke who wrote with me said google it, i believe they are not meant to ask questions like that but do anyway) Google will find sites that will give you the "MOST CORRECT" answer for these absurd questions.

NB take a photocopy of everything when going to book!
    and take the correct money along.
    another thing that you need is a PROOF OF RESIDENCE.

USE PHONE APPS! saved my life