Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda NC750X

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by tp007 View Post
    And besides, what are you going to do with 3 LC's? As long as you take over the repayments as welll
    Well, if I am understanding correctly, 3 LC's will give me 3 gear indicators. Whoooooo!

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Why don't I like the idea of an automatic bike?

Gear changes unsettle the bike, which won't be quite as fun if you're cornering.

At slow speeds the clutch can nicely feather the throttle.

When I get 'excited' I can blip the throttle without the whole bike nipping along.

I'm also not yet at the age where I forget what gear I'm in ;)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    NC700 white - RIP. NC700 - silver, R1200 LC GSA - Blue
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Well, if I am understanding correctly, 3 LC's will give me 3 gear indicators. Whoooooo!
    And with 3 gear indicators you still may end up in the wrong gear...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by tp007 View Post
    And with 3 gear indicators you still may end up in the wrong gear...
    Nah. Unlikely. I grew up without gear indicators. Even drive my car without looking at the gear lever to know in which gear I am. I just sort of know.....

Biker
    Bike
    Honda XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Honda website is a royal mess..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RoboJedi View Post
    Honda website is a royal mess..

Maybe you shoudl try browsing it on a non i- device and see if its better
    Ricers are bikers too!

Biker
    Bike
    Honda XR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Lol i wish. No it has wrong prices and old info on bikes still has cbr 250 no info on 300...

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    It also looks a bit off on a 2560x1440 screen ;)

Biker
    Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Right, Fuel has increased and time has passed - quite a number of the NC750X would have found their 2nd and 3rd+ owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Loc144 View Post
    On Saturday I was at Honda Umhlanga and had a chance to briefly test ride the new NC750X. I had previously ridden the NC700X, and while it is a great and practical bike, I didn't find myself desperate to have one. The NC750 however, seems a slightly different proposition

The NC750 receives an extra 50cc, 5bhp, and revs to 8000rpm. While seemingly insignificant, one notices an immediate difference. The extra 1500rpm is extremely welcome, and I found myself hitting the hard limiter far less than on the NC700. The torque is quite potent and very handy for city riding. One of the biggest surprises for me is the stock exhaust, which looks terrible but actually sounds quite good. I took great pleasure in blipping the throttle at every opportunity and hearing the twin cylinder bark. Although it is a parallel twin, you could be forgiven for thinking it a V-twin. An aftermarket exhaust would be a must for me, and I can only imagine the improvement in the sound department

Like the NC700, the NC750 has a single 320mm front disc which does a very good job, as I found out when a car cut me off in one of the many traffic circles surrounding Gateway shopping center. The NC750 comes standard with ABS, although I was not aware at the time I was riding it.

The clocks are fully digital and well lit, there is a handy gear indicator that I was quite smitten with, having never ridden with one before. There is also a fuel economy indicator, which showed around 3.1l/100km at around 60km/h and 7l/100km when going full throttle.

The ride itself was smooth and comfortable, although not hugely awe inspiring. The bike accelerates smoothly and the low down power belies its 55bhp. I had no problem getting to 150km/h in 4th before slowing down. In 2nd gear you can accelerate from 10-80km/h in seconds. Coming from a inline four, I really enjoyed the torque of the twin engine. It is a bike you can and probably will ride all day.
    The NC750X costs R75,000 new, not necessarily a bad price, though not one I would pay. For an extra R5000 I would prefer to get the 2014 ER-6. However, in a year or two, when the second hand market is < R60,000 and the petrol price >R18, you will probably find one in my garage.

Lurker
    Bike
    Zero S zf11.4
    Region
    Gauteng

I ended up buying a Zero back in 2014. So I'm now at the 4 year mark of owning this cool little commuter, as opposed to the NC750 I had considered at the time. I had expected the battery to slowly degrade with time, with the bike's roughly 100km range falling to about 80km by now. Amazingly there is no sign of that yet. I honestly don't see myself going back to a fossil fuel bike ever again.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Zamurai View Post
    I ended up buying a Zero back in 2014. So I'm now at the 4 year mark of owning this cool little commuter, as opposed to the NC750 I had considered at the time. I had expected the battery to slowly degrade with time, with the bike's roughly 100km range falling to about 80km by now. Amazingly there is no sign of that yet. I honestly don't see myself going back to a fossil fuel bike ever again.
    Well well! You've gotta give more than that!

How long is a charge-to-charge trip normally?
    Highway or urban?

How's the maintenance been?

And which model?

Notice any difference in consumption between winter and summer?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Zamurai View Post
    Better fix your profile. It looks like you ride a gas guzzling 1200 beast!

Like Pyro said, give a bit more info. How does the Zero compare, over time with a bike like the NC in terms of cost, rider enjoyment, buying price, etc.

Biker
    Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Really an excellent bike to ride!!

Lurker
    Bike
    Zero S zf11.4
    Region
    Gauteng

As a commuter it has been a solid choice. I bought the bike for R90k, so it was a bit on the expensive side. Sadly the price of these bikes have more than doubled over the past 4 year period.
    I plug the bike in at the office and I travel about 40km per day. I plug the bike in every second day. I rarely ride to below the quarter of full charge mark. I'm oblivious as to how long it takes to charge, because there is no chime or alarm that goes off when it's fully charged. I just unplug it when I go home. The longest trips I sometimes do is Centurion to Kempton Park or Joburg.

When it comes to comparing it to anything else there is a fairly long list of pros and cons. It all comes down to your own personal criteria and needs.
    I had 2 criteria:
    -I wanted a bike that would give me excellent reliability over a 10 year period of using the bike every day to commute.
    -I wanted to save the maximum on services and fuel during this period.

On my previous bike my average of 12 000km per year cost me almost R8000 in fuel and around R3000 for a service at Centurion Yamaha (which doesn't exist anymore).
    For the Zero there's just a replacement of tires and brake pads on an annual basis. And "fuel" has been free. So all things considered there is a possibility that the bike could eventually pay for itself in savings. My only major expense so far was earlier this year when I replaced the wheel bearings, updated the firmware and re-synced the controller and motor.

Ride wise the bike is very different from anything else I've ever experienced. My previous bike had moods and awesome character. There were days when it felt lazy, and others when it felt aggressive, with the traction control light starting to flicker as I almost pop a wheelie at a traffic light. The Zero has no character. It does what it does, always the same, up to the nano-second. Yes, in the beginning the sharp acceleration and flawless throttle response is exhilarating. But after a while it's just second nature. It's as if the bike vanishes, with you flying over the road like some superman. The bike's belt drive doesn't like rain though. In fact I'm seriously thinking of getting the chain kit.

I hope this doesn't sound like a glowing review, because I wouldn't lightly advise anyone to go for a Zero. Firstly, the bike only really shines as a commuter. Secondly, these electric bikes are the way of the future, and there are more great things to come from other manufacturers.
    Thirdly, even second hand Zeros are pricey: https://www.facebook.com/groups/123391688317862
    There also exist the possibility of DIY, for those so inclined.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/elec...orcyclebuilds/

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks

Pretty much as advertised from the sound of things. I toyed with the idea of getting a Zero or going DIY myself, but the cost of DIY can get quite high if you want a 100km+ range on top of the skills and time needed to do it.

That normally happened when there was maintenance to be done, or fuel prices spiked...

And yes, there's that niggle that held me back: efficiency is boring!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks. Nice write-up. I am interested in your statement stating the belt drive doesn't like rain. Does it slip. or what is the issue?

Biker
    Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

NC750X comes to SA with Bridgestone Battlewings.
    Replaced rear with Bridgestone Battlax A40 - 170/60
    Am informed no Bridgestone for front, need to switch to Pirelli - not keen to have different brands on bike. Wondering if Michelin Anakee rear would not have been better choice? Sounds more options in Michelin for front
    Any opinions or experience?

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
    Have fun! Ride safely

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    NC750X comes to SA with Bridgestone Battlewings.
    Replaced rear with Bridgestone Battlax A40 - 170/60
    Am informed no Bridgestone for front, need to switch to Pirelli - not keen to have different brands on bike. Wondering if Michelin Anakee rear would not have been better choice? Sounds more options in Michelin for front
    Any opinions or experience?

Killer J used duel purpose tyres on his NC. I believe they were Anakees, but not sure. I doubt that two seperate makes of tyres will make much difference for anyone, but a racer. In the duelie world the guys often use different rear tyre to fronts, depending on which they believe is better for the job.

Between Mags and I we have done many thousand of kms on Anakees and can't fault them.
    Last edited by AMZ; 14-10-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Biker
    Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Excellent, thanks AMZ. I'll keep A40 rear and replace front then when due - shop says should grab a road tyre - I'm more inclined to think a 80/20 for when easy dirt comes my way. Easy dirt due to suspension, NC not meant for medium to hard dirt

Have fun! Ride safely

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Excellent, thanks AMZ. I'll keep A40 rear and replace front then when due - shop says should grab a road tyre - I'm more inclined to think a 80/20 for when easy dirt comes my way. Easy dirt due to suspension, NC not meant for medium to hard dirt

For easy dirt, there are various tyres available. Anakees are my favourite, but other will say Tourance Next, or whatever. I doubt you can go wrong with any of the top three or four brands.