Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumping RED traffic lights

Bike
    R1200GS (Faith), Yamaha FZ6S (Honi)Sold, KLR650 (Rover)Sold
    Region
    Free State

I confronted a guy who had passed me on the left on a single carriageway one misty morning; he said he was sorry, I said I accepted that but then asked if he were sorry enough to stop driving recklessly: he didn't answer.
    Riding a straight and smooth road does not make a skillful rider.

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Maars View Post
    Its getting bad..........these days I slow a lot down before I cross a green robot. There is not much that we can do......or are there?

Will cameras help.....will most propably get stolen. Poor visibility(and laziness by some) by the cops may be a cause, but they can't be every where. What may work is the punishment when you get caught - there should be no fine - straight to court on a charge of reckless and/or negigent driving - but will the courts be able to handle the workload? The punishment should be set to a minimum sentence like with driving under the influence. It may serve as the best scare tactic or not......still get drunk drivers
    No matter what the punishment is the perpetrator first needs to be caught and there is no visible policing so no one will get caught.
    It is far easier for the traffic officers to set up a hidden speeding camera and then to supervise the camera by sleeping off last nights hangover.
    Once the hangover has been slept off then they stop some poor motorist and fleece them for lunch money...
    As far as to serve and protect they could not actually give a continental...

As for the courts.... well they are so full already and then the non paying e-toll cases have not even been added yet....
    So even if you are caught chances are good you will get away with it.
    What a wonderful system we have....

Bike
    KTM Duke 690 R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No matter what the punishment is the perpetrator first needs to be caught and there is no visible policing so no one will get caught.
    It is far easier for the traffic officers to set up a hidden speeding camera and then to supervise the camera by sleeping off last nights hangover.
    Once the hangover has been slept off then they stop some poor motorist and fleece them for lunch money...
    As far as to serve and protect they could not actually give a continental...

As for the courts.... well they are so full already and then the non paying e-toll cases have not even been added yet....
    So even if you are caught chances are good you will get away with it.
    What a wonderful system we have....
    So so so true!
    Its scary.

Simply put our laws are a just mere guideline as to the right thing to do, whether you abide or not seems to be optional.

We just need to be as alert as possible at all times. I get so mad when people jump red lights in front of me.
    Some young woman did it the other day again... I pulled next to her window and she was on her phone on facebook, she glanced up at me and carried on totally oblivious to the fact she had gone through a red light.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

I will most likely get the thumbs down for this suggestion: Regional biker clubs should be properly organized and have a "law enforcement"-committee of their own to deal with bad drivers reported to them. It is possible to get the address of a number plate and perhaps the biker club members on such committee could pay a friendly visit....?

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    I will most likely get the thumbs down for this suggestion: Regional biker clubs should be properly organized and have a "law enforcement"-committee of their own to deal with bad drivers reported to them. It is possible to get the address of a number plate and perhaps the biker club members on such committee could pay a friendly visit....?
    With due respect, you deserve a thumbs down, but first, allow me to present to you, on behalf of the Lazarus Society the Lazarus Award - Platinum for Dead Thread Revival.

Now, for the thumbs down part. Why do you expect some biker club to do your dirty work? If you want to beat someone up, do it yourself. That said, why would you even consider taking the law into your own hands?

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

My thinking went along the lines of a biker club using a reporting tool of drivers who put their members at risk, similar to http://www.roadhogs.co.za/. The club can then "educate" those bad drivers on behalf of their members, seeing that our authorities do f**all in this regard.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    My thinking went along the lines of a biker club using a reporting tool of drivers who put their members at risk, similar to http://www.roadhogs.co.za/. The club can then "educate" those bad drivers on behalf of their members, seeing that our authorities do f**all in this regard.
    What does "educate" mean?

So, some unasked for advice from an old fart. Don't let others, or their bad behaviour, bother you. We know exactly what to expect from road users around us. Ride accordingly.

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    What does "educate" mean?

So, some unasked for advice from an old fart. Don't let others, or their bad behaviour, bother you. We know exactly what to expect from road users around us. Ride accordingly.
    Whatever corrective measure - perhaps give out a yellow ticket?