Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping RED traffic lights

Bike
    KTM Duke 690 R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Jumping RED traffic lights

Hey guys & gals... Im sure this has been discussed before but its something thats really starting to annoy me more and more.
    Daily on my commute up Rivonia road from Witkoppen side I see people jump red lights. The worst I see is where the Virgin Active is near Morningside, the next worst spot is by the Mercedes dealership at the intersection of South rd. I try my best to just shake it off and not let it bother me.

Last week a lady in a brand new white BMW 428i came out of the road with the gym at a helluva speed filtering into Rivonia road, her arrow was a long time red and I had already started going with my green light, I had to take evasive action because she came so fast she couldnt stay in her left lane forcing me to swerve to the right. I have ger a thumbs down as we passed the Pappachinos and her reaction was just a flick of the wrist but I noticed she had a teen daughter in the car.
    So, at the next lights that were red and with traffic she stopped about 3 car lengths behind me and would not come closer... I then wheeled my bike back and her daughter opened the passenger window, I said in a polite way to the mother that she could have killed me and must please stop at red lights. The filthy look the daughter was staring her mother down with was priceless, the mom then apologises to me and said that she will not do it again, she is sorry for what she did. I thanked the daughter for opening the window and she gave me this sheepish acknowledgement being embarrassed by her mothers driving.
    I felt good after that because as the window went up and I rolled forward to the lights and in my mirror I saw the teen let loose on the mother

Then yesterday I was going over the highway on Cambridge road and turning left onto Witkoppen Road, traffic as usual on Witkoppen there is crawling so the cars often stop on green as they cant cross because of standstill.
    The lights for Witkoppen traffic goes red and my Green comes on, I start going and this white Golf 6 on Witkoppen which was stopped at his red just gaps it through the red and cuts on the inside of me. I pull my visor up and ask the indian chap if that was necessary to go through the red and almost hit me, he tells me that he saw me and did not hit me so what is my problem.
    I was not aggressive at all and said my problem is that he went through a red light and almost hit me, he then starts provoking me saying repeatedly "what are you gonna do about it, what are you gonna do about it, what are you gonna do about it."

What do you do in situations like this because this is blatent disregard for the law and also for others on the road, its like he knows theres no enforcement which therefore gives him the power to do as he likes.

Maybe I should buy myself a go-pro and start recording my rides and these incidents, but then I wonder if the authorities actually do anything with the video evidence you give to them.

Thats my rant over for Saturday while wathing my team (Sharks) give the Reds a hiding

Bike
    F800GT
    Region
    Western Cape

This is such a common problem and I've noted it especially in the republic of gauteng. I've actually started counting how many vehicles jumps and the worst one was 6..... after it turned green for the opposite side. I ended up waiting a bit at every traffic light, just to make sure that 'I' stay alive. It is such a difficult task to change a mindset. I've recently had the chance to go to Italy and I was amazed at the discipline in that country. They have so many scooters that it looks as if the cages are lane-splitting. Very rarely would anyone go over a red light. Pedestrians would wait until the light turns green for them with not even a car in sight, before they crossed. Here the mindset is to cross the road... (a freeway at that)..in such a leisurely manner so as just to clear the vehicle or the vehicle has to decrease speed to avoid a collision... this last action makes me wanna just... urgh.... well maybe with a truck thats got no plates and goes like a bat out of hell. anyway what i was saying is the mindset, the only thing that we can do is to not do the same, and hope the action rubs off on others. I do commiserate with you however.
    When LIfe Becomes Pedestrian, It's Time To Ride!!!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Western Cape

Unhappily, this female has put into words that which represents the general mindset out there: http://www.news24.com/Columnists/Geo...y-red-20140313
    Officer, it was only 'hardly red'

Georgina Guedes 14 comments | 5570 views This is the discouraging part; how many of those who read the column now think their actions are justifiable?

I've come to the conclusion that motorists who decide, before the light turns red, that they were going to cross the intersection anyway so regardless of the instruction of the traffic signal, they are justified in completing their intention.

@SeanN "what are you gonna do about it, what are you gonna do about it, what are you gonna do about it."
    Easy retort, "Nothing, but remember this the next time and a 10 ton truck creams you."

I hate wise-asses; they yodel the loudest when their actions result in tragedy and b1tch because no-one commiserates with them.
    Be safe & don't let road rage be your backseat driver.

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

The other day this chap and a female on Louis Both would yield at red traffic lights and skip them. I caught up to them at a busy intersection he couldn't skip and asked him why he thought it was OK to jump red lights.
    With a look of at being having been questioned, he looks at me and say "who are you? Who are you?" as in who do you think you are...I'll just end the story there because I have a short fuse and went on massive tirade which ended with me flipping him the bird. There was no talking to this chap. There was hate written all over his face. He turned it racial, as in "you white people can't tell me what to do"

What a knob

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

The sad truth is that the situation on our roads is totally out of control.
    The lack of visible policing is one of the major problems.
    Too much emphasis is placed on speeding and not enough on the other moving violations.

I also think another major problem is the way people were raised to defy the state and anything linked to it.
    So during the struggle years children were taught that the authorities were to be resisted at every opportunity and that culture has been entrenched in the populace.

Then of course the fact that so many Metro and SAPS members are corrupt just compounds the situation.

So now the law of the jungle is the only law that applies and the bigger your vehicle the more you can get away with...
    Unfortunately that puts us bikers right at the bottom and makes us the most vulnerable out there.

I find it best not to confront these law breakers as you just make yourself a target.
    I just give them a wide berth and keep my eyes peeled for more of them.

Bike
    KTM Duke 690 R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGRK View Post
    The other day this chap and a female on Louis Both would yield at red traffic lights and skip them. I caught up to them at a busy intersection he couldn't skip and asked him why he thought it was OK to jump red lights.
    With a look of at being having been questioned, he looks at me and say "who are you? Who are you?" as in who do you think you are...I'll just end the story there because I have a short fuse and went on massive tirade which ended with me flipping him the bird. There was no talking to this chap. There was hate written all over his face. He turned it racial, as in "you white people can't tell me what to do"

What a knob
    People like that really cheese me off when they have a sense of entitlement like that.
    They need to get over themselves or a 10 ton truck must cream them at the next red light they yield at so they can become a statistic.

I dont wish death on anyone but I would read their obituary with the greatest of pleasure

Bike
    Amelia (the Econorun winner!); anything <4 wheels
    Region
    Gauteng

It's not just one demographic. On Saturday I rode down one road which on a weekend is generally pretty busy. Knowing the road and the users as I do I was riding pretty cautiously, doing about 45-50km/h. First road from the left I saw an old battered Honda Ballade and started slowing down more - you know that sixth sense ne? The elderly driver looked at me and trickled across my lane (without stopping) and when I hooted at him, he threw me a sign! This is a very old Jewish area and I wondered what his Rabbi would have thought of him being out and about in a car AND throwing zap signs after being in the wrong
    Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner- Sophia Loren

Bike
    The "C"
    Region
    Gauteng

Reminds me of a story of a cop who pulled a chap over for not stopping at a stop sign. The chap said: .."but officer, I did slow done and was going very slowly...it`s basically the same thing, not?....so the cop starts beating the guy in the face, whilst asking :" do you want me to hit you slower or do you want me to stop...?"
    Suddenly terror struck...he`s never seen a naked woman before...

The Windsurfer

Bike
    2003 BMW R1150R
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by SeanN View Post
    People like that really cheese me off when they have a sense of entitlement like that.
    They need to get over themselves or a 10 ton truck must cream them at the next red light they yield at so they can become a statistic.

I dont wish death on anyone but I would read their obituary with the greatest of pleasure
    I recall a huge outcry very recently when a motoring journalist expressed similar sentiments towards bikers. It saddens me to see that we seem to find this sentiment acceptable when it's coming from a fellow biker and is directed towards motorists.

There are a lot of people making a lot of effort to try and improve relations between bikers and motorists, and one reckless statement like this expressed on a public forum has the potential to do huge harm. All that is needed is for one motorist to stumble across this and blow it out of proportion and then all of those efforts are in vain. We will all be tarred with the same brush if this has to come out somewhere, and have to face increased animosity from motorists.

I am pretty sure that Think Bike has all of the "the views expressed here are not necessarily those of Think Bike" etc type of disclaimers, but the mere fact that this is posted on the Think Bike forum will automatically associate Think Bike with any negative publicity should it arise. Once again there are a lot of committed members doing a lot of hard work to maintain, improve and grow the Think Bike campaign and they definitely don't need the kind of negativity that this has the potential to create.

Bike
    KTM Duke 690 R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I recall a huge outcry very recently when a motoring journalist expressed similar sentiments towards bikers. It saddens me to see that we seem to find this sentiment acceptable when it's coming from a fellow biker and is directed towards motorists.

There are a lot of people making a lot of effort to try and improve relations between bikers and motorists, and one reckless statement like this expressed on a public forum has the potential to do huge harm. All that is needed is for one motorist to stumble across this and blow it out of proportion and then all of those efforts are in vain. We will all be tarred with the same brush if this has to come out somewhere, and have to face increased animosity from motorists.

I am pretty sure that Think Bike has all of the "the views expressed here are not necessarily those of Think Bike" etc type of disclaimers, but the mere fact that this is posted on the Think Bike forum will automatically associate Think Bike with any negative publicity should it arise. Once again there are a lot of committed members doing a lot of hard work to maintain, improve and grow the Think Bike campaign and they definitely don't need the kind of negativity that this has the potential to create.
    So tell me, how you propose to educate these people that constantly endanger our lives and those of other motorists?

The did a learners, perhaps?
    They passed a licence test, perhaps?
    They bought a licence, most likely?

My grudge isnt against motorists in general, its against the people who run red lights. Im NOT tarring all with the same brush, dont misconstrue what Im saying. My statement is not reckless. One could easily misconstrue what you're saying and believe you're ok with people jumping red lights probably because you havent had a near miss...
    Let a motorist find my post and read it, if they jump red lights and the shoe fits, wear it.

If you read what I said, it essentially means that they must get whats coming their way by jumping lights by a large truck preferrably that will barely feel them as opposed to one of us riding a bike.

I make a concerted effort to thank each and every single motrist that makes way for me while riding whether Im on my bicycle or motorbike. I also move over and make way as they do for me when Im using my car.

To summarise:
    Have respect for all road users as well as yourself and dont jump lights.
    If those who dont care insist on behaving as such, karma will get them.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Western Cape

Without being judge and executioner based on what was reported, this news item underscores SeanN's statement : "If those who don't care insist on behaving as such, karma will get them."
    http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/trai...5#.UygxIc78pzg

No doubt there will be clarity sometime in the future as to whether or not it was suicide or negligence.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SeanN View Post
    If those who dont care insist on behaving as such, karma will get them.
    "Karma will get them"? Such a interesting term. So, at present we have two TB Marshals in hospital. One spend almost a month in ICU. One will be operated on today. Now my question is, will the people who hit them get a visit from karma someday, or were they hit because karma got them for some historical offense?

Bike
    R1200RT(81kw) & Silverback Alpine (2 x legpower)
    Region
    Gauteng

Monday evening on the way home, coming down Malibongwe turning right into Pres.Fouche.
    I'm first in light at the traffic light, it turns amber, then red, as i move off slowly waiting for the inevitable 2 to 3 cars to make it across the 'barely red' light when a taxi in his far left lane (painted island?) comes screaming through. It was ballet on wheels for me as I managed to miss him by millimeters.

This is the one of the moving violations that causes serious bodily harm. It would be good if we could persuade the JMPD to stop huddling behing their cameras and get out there and do their job properly
    https://forum.thinkbike.co.za/signat...pic6115_11.gif Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Bike
    KTM Duke 690 R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    "Karma will get them"? Such a interesting term. So, at present we have two TB Marshals in hospital. One spend almost a month in ICU. One will be operated on today. Now my question is, will the people who hit them get a visit from karma someday, or were they hit because karma got them for some historical offense?
    If you choose to look at it that way, so be it.
    Comes down to semantics

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Reminds me of a story of a cop who pulled a chap over for not stopping at a stop sign. The chap said: .."but officer, I did slow done and was going very slowly...it`s basically the same thing, not?....so the cop starts beating the guy in the face, whilst asking :" do you want me to hit you slower or do you want me to stop...?"
    It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not...

Women are Angels, and if our wings get broken, we simply continue to fly ... on a broomstick ...

Bike
    BMW F800 ST
    Region
    Gauteng

Its getting bad..........these days I slow a lot down before I cross a green robot. There is not much that we can do......or are there?

Will cameras help.....will most propably get stolen. Poor visibility(and laziness by some) by the cops may be a cause, but they can't be every where. What may work is the punishment when you get caught - there should be no fine - straight to court on a charge of reckless and/or negigent driving - but will the courts be able to handle the workload? The punishment should be set to a minimum sentence like with driving under the influence. It may serve as the best scare tactic or not......still get drunk drivers

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Region
    Gauteng

I think Georgina's actions are totally inexcusable. She is actually condoning running a red light, albeit, as she claims, a "hardly red" light. Does she have any idea how many bikers get taken out, seriously injured and/or killed by inconsiderate, selfish and irresponsible wenches and henchmen, just like herself, who rush a "hardly red" light. She absolves herself of the responsibility of the potential devastation she could have caused by her actions, and blithely focuses on the Policing aspects. I would have definitely fined her, and even considered piling on a reckless and negligent (criminal) charge as she accelerated through the "hardly red" light. Accelerating on red displays an intention to blatantly ignore the law. Sjoe ouens, lucky I'm not a Traffic Officer. Shameful article Ms. Guedes, I would be hiding my head if I were you, but in overview, hope you actually learned something you should (I assume you have a valid driver's license) already know.
    It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not...

Women are Angels, and if our wings get broken, we simply continue to fly ... on a broomstick ...

Bike
    KTM 390 Duke :)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by gsexr600 View Post
    i think georgina's actions are totally inexcusable. She is actually condoning running a red light, albeit, as she claims, a "hardly red" light. Does she have any idea how many people (pedestrians, riders, drivers) get taken out, seriously injured and/or killed by inconsiderate, selfish and irresponsible wenches and henchmen, just like herself, who rush a "hardly red" light. She absolves herself of the responsibility of the potential devastation she could have caused by her actions, and blithely focuses on the policing aspects. I would have definitely fined her, and even considered piling on a reckless and negligent (criminal) charge as she accelerated through the "hardly red" light. Accelerating on red displays an intention to blatantly ignore the law. Sjoe ouens, lucky i'm not a traffic officer. Shameful article ms. Guedes, i would be hiding my head if i were you, but in overview, hope you actually learned something you should (i assume you have a valid driver's license) already know.
    ftfy.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

2 Incidents the last few days.

First as I was approaching the Jan Smuts & Republic intersection. Turning arrow is still on after a few cars passed over the intersection as I approach the intersecitionl to turn right with the bike.

A chop on the phone while driving old-model BMW passes over the crossing solid red light to turn. This passes him completely in front of me. I slowed significantly and still passed well uncomfortably close behind him.

--

Similar incident on Saturday at the hated 4h30 of the morning time. Turning right onto Ontdekkers, I see a car approaching from the right and slow down. My turning arrow goes off, but as it's still green and nothing comes from the front I can turn.

Luckily I slowed in time because the two cruise comfortably over the red past my car.

---

Neither of these was a 'just' red case.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    ZX6R - KLR650
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Putco Antics … Red light, weird slipway dodging manoeuvre, no indicators.

http://youtu.be/0Iir7CnZT-w

Then again, I can't really rant as I went through the red light too...so much for righteous indignation!