Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Biker shot in road rage - Malibongwe Drive - Douglas Pearce

Bike
    Amelia (the Econorun winner!); anything <4 wheels
    Region
    Gauteng

Some time early in 2008 I was commuting in my Colt bakkie between Woodmead and Lyndhurst. I carried a gun as that was the time of car-jackings. One day I was in traffic and the next clear moment I looked down at my hand and the gun was in it. I could not recall how it got there and what had caused my wanting to use it. I had the usual adrenaline headache and realised I had just successfully dodged a road rage incident which could have ended very badly for everybody involved. I went home and put my gun in the safe and have only taken it out to clean it. A week later I bought a bike and I have managed to regulate my temper since then. I still boil when I'm in the cage but at least I've recognised the need for anger management - a bike! Temper is a destructive emotion and if you cannot regulate it, you cannot and should not place yourself in situations which will trigger an outburst.
    Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner- Sophia Loren

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
    Mark...

Well, then, I suggest YOU do not get a firearm if you are not ready for the responsibility... but do not for once assume that others are in the same boat as you.

I suggest you get educated. There are 100's of reasons why 'civilians' buy and carry firearms, and legally at that. It is not about fear, it is about being prepared to do what must be done to protect family and loved ones. 99% of serious firearm enthusiasts are responsible, safe and much like Think Bike does regarding biking, advocate and educate people to be safe and responsible with their firearms.

We have the right under the Constitution of this country to protect ourselves and others... many of us just don't believe in all the media hype about 'do what they want and they won't hurt you' bull-****.
    From what you are saying I am guessing you own and carry a firearm as is your legal right to do.
    You also seem pretty agitated by my post which does worry me considering you could be packing heat...

You say there are 100's of reasons why 'civilians' buy and carry firearms...
    Would you care to name a few?
    and how many of those are actual legitimate reasons?

Yes I own a firearm which was bought for self defense in and around the house.
    It is securely locked in my safe because as a responsible gun owner that is what I am supposed to do.
    Chances of me getting to it when I really need it are probably very slim.
    Chance of me actually using it correctly to defend myself and my family are even slimmer.
    Yes I have been trained in the military and did shoot in competitions but that was 20 odd years ago.
    The last time I was at shooting range was 2 years ago.

Point I am trying to make here is that owning a firearm is probably a false sense of security for most people as they are just not trained how to use them correctly.

I would be absolutely mortified if I shot a child dead by accident while I was defending myself with my firearm.... yes it does happen more often then not....

I would rather just submit and live then to risk my life and that of innocent bystanders.

Smooth bottomed bunny hugger Brendon's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Me? Agitated? Not at all... does the fact that "I am packing heat" mean that I am a threat to you? Does it mean that I may just 'go postal' on you?

Many of the people on this forum know me pretty well. Ask around a bit regarding my general state of mind.

You have half answered your own questions. A firearm in a safe is useless (since you yourself say that you are unable to get to it in time). That is why many guys carry their firearms on their person.

I hope that you regularly attend training with your bike? Do you practice emergency avoidance with your bike? (Emergency braking, swerving etc?)... all of those things that Think Bike suggests you do?

Well... I can guarentee that the circle of 'Gun guys' in the firearm community that I am a member of (yes, much like the Think Bike community, a firearm community also exists) recommend regular training and practice with your firearm. The general underlying theme is that the use of a firearm is always as a last resort (when all other avenues have been exhausted, and only when your, or someone elses life is in immediate danger or threat of death or grievious bodily harm)... (which is in line with the legislation covering the same).

Just this last month, there have been two incidents where firearm owners have successfully protected themselves and their loved ones (and legally at that...)... and you will never see this reported in the media, because the Media has been duped and bought into the whole GFSA propaganda (Gun Free South Africa).

Incidents involving home invasions, car-jackings in people drive-ways etc are common. If you believe that many of these incidents do not involve random acts of violence and unnecessary murder, you would be mistaken. That is why I and many others carry firearms. Not because we 'want' to be involved in shootings, but rather because we do not want to be 'helpless victims' when such a situation does come around.

When and incident can be over in 30 seconds, and the police are at minimum 5 minutes away, that 5 minutes might as well be 'never'... because they would be at least 4 and a half minutes too late.

I will say this though, just as a closing statement. All of the firearms owners that I know, are the calmest most down to earth people I know. 'Salt of the earth' types, who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it. Pretty much a lot like the people here on TB. Strange how similar we are yes?

The biggest difference though, is that many of them have made the concious decision to longer be the 'victim'. The guy standing in your bedroom at 3AM is definitely not there for tea and cookies.

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

The biggest difference though, is that many of them have made the concious decision to longer be the 'victim'. The guy standing in your bedroom at 3AM is definitely not there for tea and cookies.
    .... and what does the law say about you shooting such a guy at 3am if he is not armed himself?

Unfortunately the number of responsible gun owners as you have described above are few and far between just as the members of this forum are the minority when it comes to responsible biking.....

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

Me? Agitated? Not at all... does the fact that "I am packing heat" mean that I am a threat to you? Does it mean that I may just 'go postal' on you?

Many of the people on this forum know me pretty well. Ask around a bit regarding my general state of mind.

You have half answered your own questions. A firearm in a safe is useless (since you yourself say that you are unable to get to it in time). That is why many guys carry their firearms on their person.

I hope that you regularly attend training with your bike? Do you practice emergency avoidance with your bike? (Emergency braking, swerving etc?)... all of those things that Think Bike suggests you do?

Well... I can guarentee that the circle of 'Gun guys' in the firearm community that I am a member of (yes, much like the Think Bike community, a firearm community also exists) recommend regular training and practice with your firearm. The general underlying theme is that the use of a firearm is always as a last resort (when all other avenues have been exhausted, and only when your, or someone elses life is in immediate danger or threat of death or grievious bodily harm)... (which is in line with the legislation covering the same).

Just this last month, there have been two incidents where firearm owners have successfully protected themselves and their loved ones (and legally at that...)... and you will never see this reported in the media, because the Media has been duped and bought into the whole GFSA propaganda (Gun Free South Africa).

Incidents involving home invasions, car-jackings in people drive-ways etc are common. If you believe that many of these incidents do not involve random acts of violence and unnecessary murder, you would be mistaken. That is why I and many others carry firearms. Not because we 'want' to be involved in shootings, but rather because we do not want to be 'helpless victims' when such a situation does come around.

When and incident can be over in 30 seconds, and the police are at minimum 5 minutes away, that 5 minutes might as well be 'never'... because they would be at least 4 and a half minutes too late.

I will say this though, just as a closing statement. All of the firearms owners that I know, are the calmest most down to earth people I know. 'Salt of the earth' types, who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it. Pretty much a lot like the people here on TB. Strange how similar we are yes?

+ 1 00000 gazillion squillion

I would rather not see my loved ones raped / murdered thank you very much and will do everything in my power to protect them.

I firearm in a safe is a rather pointless excercise.

I have been involved in 'road rage' incidents many a time and although I always carrying a firearm, have never resorted to using it, even when attacked with numerous objects that could be classified as 'dangerous weapons', I prefer to moer them.

I do not subscribe to the 'turn the other cheek' mentality and refuse to be a victim., even if Ho once called me a psycopath (I forgave her)

Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    .... and what does the law say about you shooting such a guy at 3am if he is not armed himself?

Unfortunately the number of responsible gun owners as you have described above are few and far between just as the members of this forum are the minority when it comes to responsible biking.....
    The law is very clear. If he poses a threat to you or other (there is reasonable belief that grievious bodily harm, or threat of death is imminent) you may shoot him.

If he is walking out your house with your big-screen LCD in his hands, you may not.

You own a firearm... the above should have been covered when you did your competency... perhaps read that book again.

Again, like I said. Get yourself educated... specifically look into the '4 golden rules' of firearm ownership.

Our firearms are our ATGATT... if I can draw that comparison.

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Hog View Post

Errrrr by law that is where it is meant to be kept...

Unless you are advocating leaving a loaded gun lying around the house where children are present???

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

Actually, there is a huge amount of misinformation and urban myth surrounding this issue. A home owner is completely entitled to shoot an intruder, whether armed or not. The reasonable person defence always comes into play and it would be unreasonable to expect any person to assume that an intruder in the middle of the night is there for anything but malicious intent. The media and anti gun lobbyists are quick to highlight incorrect / illegal firearm use and fail to report the many many incidents when firearm use has been completely justifiable.

Bike
    ZX14
    Region
    Gauteng

+ 1 00000 gazillion squillion

I would rather not see my loved ones raped / murdered thank you very much and will do everything in my power to protect them.

mab

I have been involved in 'road rage' incidents many a time and although I always carrying a firearm, have never resorted to using it, even when attacked with numerous objects that could be classified as 'dangerous weapons', I prefer to moer them.

I do not subscribe to the 'turn the other cheek' mentality and refuse to be a victim., even if Ho once called me a psycopath (I forgave her)

may I just at this point apologise PROFUSELY for any and all remarks I have EVER made abt HDs and pwomis to sell my kawa immediately and purchase any HD..... Of your choice, of course!!!!
    I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.

Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Unless you are advocating leaving a loaded gun lying around the house where children are present???
    I like how you take everything out of context... that is not what Lone Hog suggested. By law, the firearm, when not on your person, or not in your direct control, must be locked up in a safe.

I am pretty sure that Lone Hog carries his firearm on his person.

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

No, I am not advocating that. If you have a firearm for self defence, surely it needs to be on your person. The law only dictates that a firearm is stored in a safe when not in your possession. Methinks your purchase of said firearm was not well thought out, do you plan to ask the bad guys assaulting your family to just hang on while you go to the safe, load your gun and then well .... have moral issues with using it? It's kinda like buying condoms and cutting holes in them?

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

The law is very clear. If he poses a threat to you or other (there is reasonable belief that grievious bodily harm, or threat of death is imminent) you may shoot him.

If he is walking out your house with your big-screen LCD in his hands, you may not.

You own a firearm... the above should have been covered when you did your competency... perhaps read that book again.

Again, like I said. Get yourself educated... specifically look into the '4 golden rules' of firearm ownership.

Our firearms are our ATGATT... if I can draw that comparison.
    I know the laws I had to write the test to get my competency certificate...

We can talk again when you have to go to court and try explain your case....
    Not everyone will see it your way....

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    1150 GSA
    Region
    Gauteng

hehehe well put Lone Hog
    dont forget to cry about how the baddywaddies were howwible to you afterwards

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Not everyone will see it your way....
    Only the judge needs to.

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

No, I am not advocating that. If you have a firearm for self defence, surely it needs to be on your person. The law only dictates that a firearm is stored in a safe when not in your possession. Methinks your purchase of said firearm was not well thought out, do you plan to ask the bad guys assaulting your family to just hang on while you go to the safe, load your gun and then well .... have moral issues with using it? It's kinda like buying condoms and cutting holes in them?
    Next you will be telling me People kill people and guns are not to blame....

Now what would have happened if the Biker and motorist that started this thread were not armed?
    Would one of them still be dead?

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

I am pretty sure that Lone Hog carries his firearm on his person.
    Yup .............. and added to that, every member in my house hold, regardless of the fact that they are not licenced owners (including my minor son), have been trained and repeatedly practice how to use my firearms (yes, more than one) so that if I am ever incapacitated, they can defend themselves in the home. And contrary to popular believe, thats all completely legal.

In any household with guns and kids, the kids should be taught the how and what about guns, instead of being banned from ever seeing the things. My kids could shoot, strip and assemble a 9 mm from age 10. My wife is particularily adept with a .357.

PS. the whole family also attends regular rider training .................. cause statistically bikes are probably far more dangerous than legal firearms.

PPS. Firearms training does not mean going to a range and shooting at a stationary target, thats just target practice.

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Only the judge needs to.
    And you had better hope that he does or else.....

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

And you had better hope that he does or else.....
    It's a chance you have to take. Who do you trust more? The dude in your bedroom at 3am, or the judge? Your choice.

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    It's a chance you have to take. Who do you trust more? The dude in your bedroom at 3am, or the judge? Your choice.
    Mmmmm hard one to call...

Bike
    Amelia (the Econorun winner!); anything <4 wheels
    Region
    Gauteng

...even if Ho once called me a psycopath (I forgave her)
    But it was said with a lot of love, you know?
    Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner- Sophia Loren