XTaZee
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post
    Ek het nou een ding hieruit geleer....
    Ek ook

Thanks for describing your experience with the "dronkgat" :respect:
    I too have stripped my moer and then afterwards thought, "What if ?"
    Which is a good lesson to exercise patience and forgiveness, it is not necessary to understand why the person did what they did, or failed to do

It can be something as simple as giving them the finger, which to your mind they richly deserved, then they strip because you're mos "wrong" and try to run you over...or worse

This whole event is ineffably sad and totally unnecessary

RiP to the biker and condolences to his family and loved ones

Sadly this event will always end with a "What if ?"
    Let's not go that route and exercise patience
    Looking for a new onw...some Mad Scot stole mine

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Like I posted on the TB FB page thread:

"This is so sad. All this should never have happened.
    I am very hot tempered, especially with idiots who yak on their cellphones/text while driving and I make it very clear that they are being assholes.
    There also are people out there in cars/bakkies/trucks/taxis who will blatantly cut bikers off or try run them off the road for whatever reason. They must be jealous that they sit in traffic while we can scoot in between them. The amount of times I have just given the one finger salute and ridden off with twin Arrow pipes blasting some sweet V-twin music because some Frikkie in his 4 times 4 wants to start a fight or shouts whatever insult to me for going past him in traffic...... Just let it be.
    Ride off and leave them stewing in their own stupidity."
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Bike
    2015 Honda VFR 1200F
    Region
    Gauteng

RIP - Biker. The truth will prevail....Hopefully

Road rage does not solve anything. Especially if you are on a bike. Keep you cool and your distance.

Their is a lot of speculation and no facts. Reading all the posts it says that that the rider turned his back and was shot twice. Then please explain to me how did the driver get shot????

My 2c worth is that someone pulled a gun and let off a shot and someone else returned fire. If this is what happened or not , we will never know. So STOP Speculating until the facts come out or not!!!!!

Revilo
    Protected by Psalm 91
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

In memory of Buccaneer
    SUPPORT THE CAUSE . SIGN UP YOUR MEMBERSHIP WITH REF# 1806

Bike
    A broom and ThnAir!
    Region
    Gauteng

For me as a female, if that was my man either the driver or the rider, I would need to ask myself, why? What purpose did it serve for anyone?

The bystanders, those that are our loved ones and families, pay a price that is so high, their hearts break at our leaving their world, their concern over, if, we will ever recover from a dangerous state to our medical wellbeing, only then to be faced with a charge of attempted manslaughter, why should they have to ensure that extreme pain? All because we cannot contain our emotions?

I am blessed to have a man in my life who is calm, but heaven knows I have known him to react the way The Rehann did - a few years ago, when a guy nearly took me out, because he felt he was better than a chick on a superbike. Till today ThnAir will tell you, he grabbed the guy by scruff of his neck and was ready to jank him out of his car and beat the living daylights out of him, and Groves is not the same size as Rehann, but anger is a strange thing, it heightens your abilities and before you know what is happening, things spiral out of control.

We have over the years had numerous incidents with me and men in their cars, we put it down to the hair, red appears to be a flag, and as such have had to adapt our approach to twits, but I promise you, it is not fun and it can unravel all our best intentions as people sometimes have an ability to be rather ingenious in their approach. All it takes is for both parties to have a bad day, as if one has a better day, he is the one to walk away rather.

It is very sad for all involved and yet none of us learn, we take note when something like this happens and 2 weeks later we forget about it and return to our old habits. I do not know how much anger management a human can have to resolve the one place we feel we are powerful - our roads, which is actually the place we are at our most vulnerable.
    I've got an great ambition to die of exhaution rather than boredom! Thomas Carlyle. And I soooo agree with him

Bike
    RIP Kawasaki ER6f. 2012 Honda CBF600S
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    For me as a female, if that was my man either the driver or the rider, I would need to ask myself, why? What purpose did it serve for anyone?

The bystanders, those that are our loved ones and families, pay a price that is so high, their hearts break at our leaving their world, their concern over, if, we will ever recover from a dangerous state to our medical wellbeing, only then to be faced with a charge of attempted manslaughter, why should they have to ensure that extreme pain? All because we cannot contain our emotions?

I am blessed to have a man in my life who is calm, but heaven knows I have known him to react the way The Rehann did - a few years ago, when a guy nearly took me out, because he felt he was better than a chick on a superbike. Till today ThnAir will tell you, he grabbed the guy by scruff of his neck and was ready to jank him out of his car and beat the living daylights out of him, and Groves is not the same size as Rehann, but anger is a strange thing, it heightens your abilities and before you know what is happening, things spiral out of control.

We have over the years had numerous incidents with me and men in their cars, we put it down to the hair, red appears to be a flag, and as such have had to adapt our approach to twits, but I promise you, it is not fun and it can unravel all our best intentions as people sometimes have an ability to be rather ingenious in their approach. All it takes is for both parties to have a bad day, as if one has a better day, he is the one to walk away rather.

It is very sad for all involved and yet none of us learn, we take note when something like this happens and 2 weeks later we forget about it and return to our old habits. I do not know how much anger management a human can have to resolve the one place we feel we are powerful - our roads, which is actually the place we are at our most vulnerable.
    So, so sad

Well said...

I wish I had the kind of personality that would back off and say "That person did something horrible, but I am okay, and I can just leave it as is", but I don't. I am the idiot who gives the finger when someone does something I don't like. I should know better, and from now on, I endeavor to be a/the better person on the road, because I never know when the person I flip off will draw a gun and leave my kids without a father, and my wife a widow.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by quincarroll View Post
    So, so sad

Well said...

I wish I had the kind of personality that would back off and say "That person did something horrible, but I am okay, and I can just leave it as is", but I don't. I am the idiot who gives the finger when someone does something I don't like. I should know better, and from now on, I endeavor to be a/the better person on the road, because I never know when the person I flip off will draw a gun and leave my kids without a father, and my wife a widow.
    I have resorted to thumbs down.
    Still indicates dissaproval, but less aggressive.

The only direct confrontations on the bike, were with taxi drivers misbehaving.
    Driving on the wrong side of the road mostly, but at least one that blatantly jumped a red.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    2006 BMW F 650GS, 2003 Honda VTX 1800
    Region
    Gauteng
    1) Everyone smiles in the same language.

2) Life is too short for traffic. ~Dan Bellack

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    I have resorted to thumbs down.
    Still indicates dissaproval, but less aggressive.
    Agreed. Finally something we agree on.

It also tends to illicit an apology instead of just a middle finger your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Different stories going around -
    Yep. Only once the police investigation is over and the case goes to court will we get a better idea of what happened, therefore, all talk is pure speculation at this stage.

Bike
    Scarlet - Honda NC700X
    Region
    Gauteng

Will since the driver is appearing in court on Monday, he couldn't possibly have been critically injured as was claimed initially.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Gelmir View Post
    Will since the driver is appearing in court on Monday, he couldn't possibly have been critically injured as was claimed initially.
    Exactly! And the news that the driver was critically injured was apparently given to the media by a paramedic on scene.

Anything I read in Beeld, I take with a large pinch of salt as my family have had personal experience of how they would rush to get news on the front page regardless of accuracy. With the Internet Media, this rush to be first, is even worse.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Normally the Media starts out wrong. I have gone through a couple of these experiences in skydiving. A skydiver "smeers" or "slam"s in and gets badly injured, or a skydiver "goes in" (term used when a skydiver dies). The 1st media report you get after that is always wrong. The involved club will not publish or release an official report before they have the facts. The media rushes to get a story out, so they talk to bystanders, and make up an initial story.

The follow up articles, the next day and the day after are normally much more accurate as the media has had time to start their own investigation and get their facts straight.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post

The follow up articles, the next day and the day after are normally much more accurate as the media has had time to start their own investigation and get their facts straight.
    Agreed, but even then only by talking to bystanders, police spokesman, etc. Very sketchy details will flow for another day or so, until the prosecutor is ready to present the case in court.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Agreed, but even then only by talking to bystanders, police spokesman, etc. Very sketchy details will flow for another day or so, until the prosecutor is ready to present the case in court.
    True. The story is only as good as the source.

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

I will never quite understand why people feel the need to carry a firearm to work if they are civilians.
    What situation is going to arise that will justify the fact that you are armed with a deadly weapon?
    How scared and fearful are you when you have to strap on a deadly weapon for protection?
    What kind of mindset do you have when you do something like that?
    I can't think of one situation which would justify the carrying of a firearm.
    You are more likely to be killed by your own firearm then to actually save your life or someone else life with it.

In my mind the responsibility of carrying a firearm are huge and I for one am not comfortable with that level responsibility.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    1150 GSA
    Region
    Gauteng

really really ????

Mark you win the interwebs today.
    Last edited by tanfoglio; 17-02-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: duct tape

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

I do?

Smooth bottomed bunny hugger Brendon's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Mark...

Well, then, I suggest YOU do not get a firearm if you are not ready for the responsibility... but do not for once assume that others are in the same boat as you.

I suggest you get educated. There are 100's of reasons why 'civilians' buy and carry firearms, and legally at that. It is not about fear, it is about being prepared to do what must be done to protect family and loved ones. 99% of serious firearm enthusiasts are responsible, safe and much like Think Bike does regarding biking, advocate and educate people to be safe and responsible with their firearms.

We have the right under the Constitution of this country to protect ourselves and others... many of us just don't believe in all the media hype about 'do what they want and they won't hurt you' bull-****.