Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I rode in the Suicide Lane yesterday...!!!!!!!

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

Nice flyer

Hooligan Biker

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

While riding yesterday on the N1 freeway traveling Northbound, each and every motorcyclist that passed me between 14th Ave and Malibongwe off-ramps at +/- 08h30 were using the shoulder (emergency lane) between the fast lane and the dividing barrier. I was using the proverbial biker lane in heavy traffic passing cars that were moving along at +/- 60km/h. At least 5 motorcyclists came passed me on the shoulder at that stretch of the freeway at much higher speed. During my ride on that stretch, I observed mini-bus taxis doing the same using both the left and right shoulders of the freeway. As far as I am concerned, you are much safer riding in between the cars on a congested freeway. Think about this: (1) If you are passing the traffic at a speed not much faster than the traffic, you will have sufficient opportunity to notice a gap in a lane that another motorist may slide into without signalling and avoid a collision (2) you are not really prone to a car hitting your rear (3) In the unlikely event of a collision, the collision will happen at slow speed, which reduces your risk of serious injury (4) on the shoulder, you are at risk of a mini-bus taxi or impatient motorist or motorist having an emergency swerving into your path of travel.