Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I rode in the Suicide Lane yesterday...!!!!!!!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

"Suicide lane" is a debate that can be had for days, yet them that advocate "do not use the suicide lane", yet ride the N1 as though it's Pakisa baffle me mind. For me, the real safe space is knowing that the cage is dangerous if it the driver suddenly without warning squeezes the gap. There is no BIKER LANE on the highway or bi-ways. Splitting is at the discretion of the rider, and the driver has NO obligation to give you a gap - they should though not endanger other road users (you ALSO being one on the bike) intentionally.

Unless you have emergency/official lights on, no vehicle travelling in the same direction as you is obliged to give you way, if they keeping to the rule of KEEP LEFT, PASS RIGHT.
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Ntjamme View Post
    "Suicide lane" is a debate that can be had for days, yet them that advocate "do not use the suicide lane", yet ride the N1 as though it's Pakisa baffle me mind. For me, the real safe space is knowing that the cage is dangerous if it the driver suddenly without warning squeezes the gap. There is no BIKER LANE on the highway or bi-ways. Splitting is at the discretion of the rider, and the driver has NO obligation to give you a gap - they should though not endanger other road users (you ALSO being one on the bike) intentionally.

Unless you have emergency/official lights on, no vehicle travelling in the same direction as you is obliged to give you way, if they keeping to the rule of KEEP LEFT, PASS RIGHT.
    While I agree with you that there is no obligation on a cager to make space for a bike splitting, the law requires that any driver becoming aware of anyone wanting to overtake them to make it as easy as possible by not increasing speed, decreasing speed and driving as far left as possible though.

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    While I agree with you that there is no obligation on a cager to make space for a bike splitting, the law requires that any driver becoming aware of anyone wanting to overtake them to make it as easy as possible by not increasing speed, decreasing speed and driving as far left as possible though.
    KEEP LEFT, PASS RIGHT. On a motorway that has more than 2 lanes, the far right lane is reserved for overtaking and the remaining lanes are for traveling in. The law allows one to pass on the left if there are more than x2 lanes traveling in the same direction.

Sent from my using Tapatalk
    Two wheels not for the faint hearted in Jozi! ​

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

KEEP LEFT, PASS RIGHT. On a motorway that has more than 2 lanes, the far right lane is reserved for overtaking and the remaining lanes are for traveling in. The law allows one to pass on the left if there are more than x2 lanes traveling in the same direction.

Sent from my using Tapatalk
    I am not at all sure that the standard "KEEP LEFT, PASS RIGHT" thing is still a law at all. Anyway, the regulation managing overtaking stands, even if someone is overtaking on the left. You, the overtakee needs to make it as easy and safe as possible to be overtaken.

Biker
    Bike
    Honda NC 700
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

I am not at all sure that the standard "KEEP LEFT, PASS RIGHT" thing is still a law at all. Anyway, the regulation managing overtaking stands, even if someone is overtaking on the left. You, the overtakee needs to make it as easy and safe as possible to be overtaken.
    It definitely is supposed to be! Did my bike learners about a year ago and one of the questions (to which the answer was "keep left, pass right" ) was "what is the main rule of the road? "

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KarelNC View Post
    It definitely is supposed to be! Did my bike learners about a year ago and one of the questions (to which the answer was "keep left, pass right" ) was "what is the main rule of the road? "

Yeah. It was there when I did my learners and I did mine in a small room on Noah's Ark. Thing is, I have never been able to find those words in the NRTA as one of the acts. So, I am wondering, if it is meant to be a "rule" of the road, similar to "always picking the safest option" is a rule of the road, or whether it is actually law. The reason why I am wondering is that in the act that describes overtaking there is a paragraph stating that if you are in the right lane and you become aware that someone wants to overtake, you need to move over as soon as it is safe to do so. If you read the paragraph you do not get the impression that the only people you should meet in the far right lane are those momentarily there.

Anyway, no biggie. Just one of those things I wonder about when I just sits and thinks.

Biker
    Bike
    Harley Sportster XL1200C
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by KarelNC View Post

Yup, still is in the K53 and there is even a part that states one should not hog the fast lane even if you are driving the speed limit

The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by vinayv View Post
    Yup, still is in the K53 and there is even a part that states one should not hog the fast lane even if you are driving the speed limit
    On overtaking on freeways the Rules of the Road per Dept of Transport states, inter alia:
    "A driver of a vehicle who wishes to overtake another vehicle ahead that is not in the left hand lane can make the driver of such vehicle aware that he or she intends to overtake by giving a visible signal by means of flashing the headlights of his or her vehicle.
    Vehicles must kept left and overtake to the right on any freeway."

Personally, I use the proverbial "biker's lane" and avoid the shoulder of the freeway. I feel safer as mortal danger is avoided when passing cars slowly on a congested freeway. I take it that those who advocate the use of the shoulder (suicide lane) only do so on congested freeways, as it would be pointless to do so when there are less cars about and there is no issue with traffic flow. Although the "suicide lane" allows a rider to pass cars at a faster speed compared to the "biker lane", it comes at certain risks that I am not willing to accept.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    On overtaking on freeways the Rules of the Road per Dept of Transport states, inter alia:
    "A driver of a vehicle who wishes to overtake another vehicle ahead that is not in the left hand lane can make the driver of such vehicle aware that he or she intends to overtake by giving a visible signal by means of flashing the headlights of his or her vehicle.
    Vehicles must kept left and overtake to the right on any freeway."
    This is part of what I am referring to. Even though it states vehicles must keep left and overtake on the right, the previous sentence clearly leads one to think that there could be vehicles in the right lane, not busy overtaking. Also, how would one apply these rules to a 4 or 5 lane highway?

The Crew East Rand MC

Bike
    Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
    Region
    Gauteng

This is part of what I am referring to. Even though it states vehicles must keep left and overtake on the right, the previous sentence clearly leads one to think that there could be vehicles in the right lane, not busy overtaking. Also, how would one apply these rules to a 4 or 5 lane highway?
    Lets number the lanes for purposes of this discussion. Lane 1 is the extreme left lane and every lane right of it are lanes 2 - 4, with lane 4 being the extreme right lane. As far as I am concerned, lanes 2 - 4 are all available for overtaking purposes. When I ride, I position myself between lanes 3 & 4 to pass cars on a slow moving freeway.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Bloufieterjoel View Post
    Lets number the lanes for purposes of this discussion. Lane 1 is the extreme left lane and every lane right of it are lanes 2 - 4, with lane 4 being the extreme right lane. As far as I am concerned, lanes 2 - 4 are all available for overtaking purposes. When I ride, I position myself between lanes 3 & 4 to pass cars on a slow moving freeway.
    Agreed on how you see it. I pretty much see it the same way. What I wonder about is how would they manage the "keep left, pass right" rule.

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple 765 RS
    Region
    Gauteng

Just to add here, since someone posted this issue as well on MyBookFace recently...

My reason i dislike and get irrate with bikers in the suicide lane:
    There are already bikers splitting between the lanes 3 & 4 (will call it "biker's lane" for simplicity, in a 4 lane highway or lanes 2 & 3 in 3 lane highway etc.), flying down the suicide lanes pushes cars into the biker's lane ie. you're not only endangering yourself by flying down a lane where all the road debris fly off to - fine whatever, its your life and your choice, but endangering mine too is not cool.

My head is on a swivel when splitting in the biker's lane, if i see a bike coming up fast in the bikers lane i will always move out of the way promptly (when a gap presents itself), so please don't be a **** and further endanger me as well.

Got enough to worry about on the roads as it is...

Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Agree with Harvs, seen plenty of bikes come by on N1 between Rigel Rd and Atterbury Rd. The affect they have down the line with vehicles moving over to make space is clearly visible. especially after an on-ramp and everybody is slowing down and changing lanes with no indicators.
    On a bike no one ever asks, Are we there yet? (Stacy Westfall)

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Excellent to have the info
    Have fun! Ride safely

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    THe SL (Suicide lane) is on the emergency lane next to the normal lanes....and the same issues definitely apply.

BL (Biker lane) is between the far right lane, and the lane left of it.
    Thanks for the info - great to pick up lingo I haven't before
    Have fun! Ride safely

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by quincarroll View Post
    I have to admit that this little argument is quite fun to read, but...

The obvious point most of you are not mentioning is the fact that it is illegal to ride in either emergency lane. No arguments needed there. If you have an off in the EL or SL, your insurance (if you are insured), will not pay. If it was legal to ride there, then all the arguments in the world may have merit.

With that in mind...

If you are uncomfortable riding in the BL, then you should ride behind a cage and slow down with the rest of the traffic. If they stop, you stop and wait too. There are arguments against this too, so maybe we should all just get in our cages and follow the rest of the sheeple everywhere we go. Or better yet, hide in our homes, and never go out because its dangerous out there.

My point is that everything we do carries a risk of something not so nice happening. Some more than others. If we were to sit and worry about it all, we would be paralyzed with fear. Do what you can to make yourself safe, and hope that there isn't some maniac with your number plate in his sites out there.
    I get your point and support it
    Have fun! Ride safely

Bike
    Kawazaki Er6n
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Biker lane.jpg Biker lane when their is a gap.jpg Biker lane vs Suicide Lane.jpg Biker lane vs Suicide Lane - Consequnce.jpg

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Awesome, great to see these pics, clarifies exactly which is which

Samsung, Note 9, using Tapatalk
    Have fun! Ride safely

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Java Sport
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Rightly pointed, it is LINGO, but no such a thing as a “biker lane” exists. There is an “Emergency Lane” and “Vehicle Lane”.
    Finish and klaar. So do give the driver a salute if/when they give you a rider a gap.

Bike
    Honda NC750X DCT
    Region
    Western Cape

Rightly pointed, it is LINGO, but no such a thing as a “biker lane” exists. There is an “Emergency Lane” and “Vehicle Lane”.
    Finish and klaar. So do give the driver a salute if/when they give you a rider a gap.
    Based on what I experience on the road, it's a courtesy if a driver moves over to give a biker a gap. Hence, I thank each such driver without fail.
    I do not chase past at break neck speeds, merely going a tad faster than the cars
    Whether the lanes actually exist etc, is different debate, the unspoken practice on the road is what matters to me

Samsung, Note 9, using Tapatalk
    Have fun! Ride safely