Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I rode in the Suicide Lane yesterday...!!!!!!!

Brighty Lighty

Bike
    BMW 1200 GSA, KTM450, PGO 125, Can Am Spyder RT
    Region
    Gauteng

Default I rode in the Suicide Lane yesterday...!!!!!!!

While riding on the N1 North between Malibongwe and Rivonia Rd yesterday at 07:00, I deceided to amble over to the SL to see what the attraction is to ride there ( I never normally ride there)

My observations were as follows:

1. No debris lying around
    2. It's much wider than the official bikers lane.
    3. I didn't feel 'unsafe' at all.

Now I know this is the emergency lane and i DON'T ride there, but I can now see what the attraction is to the other chops.
    I don't think is any more dangerous than riding in the BL, as splitting legally is also very dangerous if done at hIgh speed.
    The problem, other than it being illegal, about riding in the SL is that the chops are riding toooo fast.

I rode at slow speed but still a little faster than the cars and actually held up 4 other chops behind me, forcing them to ride slower.

I suppose the question is.......IF it were legal to ride in SL.....would you....?????

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

suicide lane and high beam.....

Last edited by -Az-; 21-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Bike
    CBR 1000 RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelle View Post

I suppose the question is.......IF it were legal to ride in SL.....would you....?????
    Nope, mainly because By riding there I have fewer avoidance options should something Happen...There are No gaps in a concrete Barrier. And if I am unlucky enough to hit someone in that lane the idea of possibly falling over that barrier and into oncoming traffic scares me a tad! Ps Im wondering if not having that 'unsafe' feeling is already enough of a reason not to be in that lane...Complacency is never a good thing!

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

It's not only that there isn't debris, people don't expect anyone to be in the EL so mirrors aren't usually checked before pulling over.

Bike
    Horizontal Honda NC700x
    Region
    Gauteng

Yep. That's how I almost killed a biker. Tyre went flat because of a metal bar and traffic was moving very slowly. Did I check my mirror? Nope. Is it my fault? Nope. So the poor KLR had the option to hit my car or concrete. Just just missed him.

Bike
    RIP Kawasaki ER6f. 2012 Honda CBF600S
    Region
    Gauteng

One of the problems that I have with the SL is that people ride way too fast there.

I, like a lot of us, commute almost on a daily basis, and the majority of bikers use the SL.

Some, usually on smaller bikes, are sometimes riding slower than I ride in the BL, and I'm probably way more conservative than most BL users. What is the point of these people using the SL anyway??? Isn't the reason that they use the SL is so they can go faster than the traffic? Why not just sit in a normal lane and move along with the traffic?

Others ride a little faster than me. Then there is a whole other breed of biker that shoot through at who knows what speed. If the traffic is sitting at about 120 kph they whip past like there is no traffic at all. I really don't want to see what happens if they hit something at those speeds.

I used the SL once, just after I got my bike, and I didn't any more or less safe, but I think it was one of my first times on my bike, so I didn't know much about the dangers of using the SL. Now... I think would poep myself to be in the SL!

Bike
    R80GS PD
    Region
    Gauteng

No. I use that stretch daily and have so far come past 4 killed bikers. More than enough for me not to enter any further debate about the pro's and con's.
    You don't ride in the rain, you don't ride!

Brighty Lighty

Bike
    BMW 1200 GSA, KTM450, PGO 125, Can Am Spyder RT
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
    Nope, mainly because By riding there I have fewer avoidance options should something Happen...There are No gaps in a concrete Barrier. And if I am unlucky enough to hit someone in that lane the idea of possibly falling over that barrier and into oncoming traffic scares me a tad! Ps Im wondering if not having that 'unsafe' feeling is already enough of a reason not to be in that lane...Complacency is never a good thing!

Agree...100%

Bike
    BMW F800GS (Jack Russel)& 1150 GSA (Boer boel)
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by -Az- View Post
    suicide lane and high beam.....

not yet, still needs to mo&r a mirror

Bike
    Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, Kawasaki ER6 F
    Region
    Gauteng

+10000000
    Positive thinkers act, Negative ones talk

Bike
    Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, Kawasaki ER6 F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGRK View Post
    It's not only that there isn't debris, people don't expect anyone to be in the EL so mirrors aren't usually checked before pulling over.
    The highway is cleaned once a week (Monday evenings) of all the debris, but with the amount of rain out this way the last few days, that probably was washed away.

I used to ride in the SL when I started out commuting to work, until I was shown the light and started to think of what WOULD happen should I be in an accident. Yeah, when you get older the saying "It wont happen to me" changes to "Hope it does not happen to me"
    Positive thinkers act, Negative ones talk

Bike
    F650GS, F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

There is only one thing more dangerous than riding in the SL .... if Hover finds you riding there!!
    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well" - Voltaire

Grammar Nazi (Wish I was a biker) Buelligan's Avatar
    Bike
    XTaZee
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by THE MOOSE View Post
    No. I use that stretch daily and have so far come past 4 killed bikers. More than enough for me not to enter any further debate about the pro's and con's.
    100% concise and to the point
    Looking for a new onw...some Mad Scot stole mine

Bike
    S1000XR for the fun, ST10 still fun.
    Region
    Gauteng

I used the EL once when on the Kawa, to avoid mirrors and to see how it feels.
    The lane looked clean and inviting.
    Had a creepy feeling at the back of my neck the whole way.
    The EL had looked spotlessly clean but I still picked up a fat nail in my back tyre to boot.
    It must have two wheels.....

Bike
    Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

Good luck with the endeavours riding in the Barrier Lane, I have no sympathy for a chop getting injured or killed while breaking the law... just my opinion..
    Don't Cry because it's Over...
    Smile because it Happened....

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Let I see...
    Riding in SL, barriers speed 0km/h - bikers speed 120km/h+ = impact speed (in the event of anoff) 120km/h (possibly higher if flung over barrier into the face of oncoming traffic). Avenue of escape, maybe one, barrier will not give way.

Riding in BL (biker lane), cagers speed xkm/h - bikers speed x+20 to 30km/h = impact speed (in the event of anoff) 20-30km/h. Avenue of escape, possibly to left or right plus cager on either side can take evasive action.

Meme Mumbler
    Bike
    BMW, Honda & KTM
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    Let I see...
    Riding in SL, barriers speed 0km/h - bikers speed 120km/h+ = impact speed (in the event of anoff) 120km/h (possibly higher if flung over barrier into the face of oncoming traffic). Avenue of escape, maybe one, barrier will not give way.

Riding in BL (biker lane), cagers speed xkm/h - bikers speed x+20 to 30km/h = impact speed (in the event of anoff) 20-30km/h. Avenue of escape, possibly to left or right plus cager on either side can take evasive action.
    Yip I have never seen the concrete barrier swerve out for anyone ever!

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    Let I see...

OK - the other side of this coin?

If you fall between the cars, there's a good chance you might be ridden over by cars on either side of you.
    So yes, effective impact speed might be lower, but concrete barriers also don't ride over you. You're also hitting the concrete barrier at an angle, so you're not coming to a solid stop as you would against the back of a car.

Concrete barriers also don't swerve towards you.

There is NO avenue of escape if you're boxed in by 2 cars, yet there's room to manuever inside the suicide lane.

Lastly: While there might be debris in the SL, there's definitely cat's eyes in the bike's lane. They might be static, but they are raised obstructions right in the middle of your 'lane'.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    CBR 1000 RR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    OK - the other side of this coin?

If you fall between the cars, there's a good chance you might be ridden over by cars on either side of you....
    If riding at a decent speed those cars should see the incident and be able to take avoiding action

.. You're also hitting the concrete barrier at an angle, so you're not coming to a solid stop as you would against the back of a car.
    Not sure i'm following or agreeing with that logic

.. Concrete barriers also don't swerve towards you.
    This really doesn't seem to happen as often as what people like to think, and once again if riding appropriately Most of these scenarios are easily avoided

.. There is NO avenue of escape if you're boxed in by 2 cars, yet there's room to manuever inside the suicide lane.
    If im Boxed in it means no Danger from the Left or from the right...which means all I need to do is slow down, and if riding at appropriate speeds stopping isn't an issue!

..Lastly: While there might be debris in the SL, there's definitely cat's eyes in the bike's lane. They might be static, but they are raised obstructions right in the middle of your 'lane'.
    hmmm Maybe ive just been Lucky but them Cats eyes have never been a concern for me?

Bike
    CB600F Hornet
    Region
    Gauteng

If riding at a decent speed those cars should see the incident and be able to take avoiding action

Not sure i'm following or agreeing with that logic

This really doesn't seem to happen as often as what people like to think, and once again if riding appropriately Most of these scenarios are easily avoided

If im Boxed in it means no Danger from the Left or from the right...which means all I need to do is slow down, and if riding at appropriate speeds stopping isn't an issue!

hmmm Maybe ive just been Lucky but them Cats eyes have never been a concern for me?
    Always wanted to ask. Do you guys ride straight over them or try evade them? I can imagine they become quite slippery when wet.