Thread: First time out on an MX bike

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Default First time out on an MX bike

So... firstly...I would NOT advocate disembarking from a motorcycle until it has come to a complete stop... I did this previously and the injuries pester me...

I went out to a little offroad jol place called "spider valley" here in Vereeniging... Huge piles of sand and humps and stuff... pretty epic.
    Rode my buddies Kawasaki KX 250... 2 stroke goodness

I have lots to learn when it comes to riding offroad, body position is different and even how you corner...now...I NEED an MX bike...lol...

Unfortunately my previous injury has had me hobbling around the last two days... seems something in my Achilles tendon or in my ankle has seized up... sigh... it's better now, hoping it comes right soon or else I will have to visit Mr. Doctor. It plays up if I play a few games of squash or overdo it at gym...These "old" bones eh...

But...it was awesome fun!
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bike
    VFR800X Crossrunner, Fireblade
    Region
    Gauteng

Spider Valley.

Jip remember that place . You need an off-road bike just to get through all the pot holes. Not only that but it's a dangerous place to be late at night.

We used to go through there on the way to River Square from Vanderbijlpark. And test if your new CD player in your car can handle that road without skipping songs.

The first time off-road experience is quite epic. Read about my experience here. (If you are a member)

If not
    Honda Centurion had an off-road event this weekend. You just pitch up and they supply bike, petrol and food.

So if not why not, I love riding so let’s see how off-road is.

What a day!!

First of all I used the XRF 230. Small but powerful.

Going through the track there was a couple of things I did find totally different.

1. The way a bike rear tyre can move without falling. The guys just said, whatever you do keep the throttle open. A lot of times it felt like I was going down and by opening up it managed to stabilize the bike. Amazing…
    2. Rear brake only. That was hard to remember, I did not go that fast so that front brake will cause issues but the rear brake is a lot more stable.
    3. When using my feet to turn it took me a while to point forward. The habit of sideways is hard to break.

All in all it was quite a learning curve, it’s amazing how much concentration it takes. By the end of the day my boots and denim where covered in mud.

My two friends who joined where more advanced riders, they were completely covered in mud.

Clean bikes going there and well let’s just say I am glad I will not be washing their bikes going back home.
    Think we can compare notes.

Bike
    Fiona ('95 BMW 650 Funduro), Thumper ('10 CPI SM250) & Stella ('12 CCW Heist)
    Region
    Gauteng

Two weeks ago some friends and I went scouting a spot on a run I'm planning... Go figure that the smallest bike with the smoothest tyres gets up there first...
    IMG_1531_zps50b2ab78.jpgP.S. The liddle orange one is me

When life throws you a curve… lean into it

Bike
    RIP - 2003 Suzuki SV650S Sold - 2006 GSXR 750 Sold - 2015 Harley Street 750 2011 Daytona 675
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Alkie View Post
    Spider Valley.

Jip remember that place . You need an off-road bike just to get through all the pot holes. Not only that but it's a dangerous place to be late at night.

We used to go through there on the way to River Square from Vanderbijlpark. And test if your new CD player in your car can handle that road without skipping songs.

The first time off-road experience is quite epic. Read about my experience here. (If you are a member)

If not

Think we can compare notes.
    I found that turning the ear made things feel more stable... lol... cornering is WAY different from a road bike... almost like you must push the bike down into the corner and keep your body up, where with a road bike the opposite happens...

By the end of the day I was cornering faster and faster and getting on the power sooner, resulting in coming out of the corners with the back wheel spinning a bit... lekker fun... hehe.

My thighs and even shoulders were moeg by the end of it.

I cooked the back brakes initially as I was wearing proper mx boots and was resting my foot on the brake the whole way... so when my buddy rode it he came back initially saying he had no back brakes... oops... but then he rode a bit and they cooled off and started working again... the next time I went out I was used to stomping on the brakes to get them to work... was on my way to find the other guys and I saw the other dude approaching from the opposite direction... jumped on the back brakes as before (while travelling at a decent pace), bike went into like a 20 metre broadslide...I had to fight the urge to do nothing and talk myself into easing off the back brake... lol...
    Learn from other peoples mistakes....You can't live long enough to make them all yourself...