Thread: 2007 Aprilia SXV 550 motard

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Default 2007 Aprilia SXV 550 motard

Bit of a loooooong post, but I am sure you guys and Ladies will like this one.
    A copy-and-paste from another forum so it's one long post, sorry.

First, some specs:

550cc V-twin, four stroke
    Bore - 80mm
    Stroke 55mm
    Compression ratio: 12.0:1
    Dry sump oil system
    4 valves per cylinder (Titanium valves)
    2X 40mm throttle bodies
    Electronic fuel injection
    Stock 70+ Hp on most dyno tests I have seen
    11 500rpm rev limit (that is VERY easy to hit in any gear)
    5 speed 'box
    Weight is a measly 138kg, and that makes it very very chuckable in corners and a breeze to ride.
    120/70-17 front tyre
    180/55-17 rear tyre

On to the befores -

My baby before I got it (pic from previous owner):

The "little" V-twin heart:

I did say it was little, didn't I:

And the whole motor weighs just 36,8kg with airbox, throttles, cables, etc:

No wonder the whole bike weighs just 138kg

The day after I got it, it got a thorough looking over and I took some pics:

Just after I took the pics, I did a de-sticker job. Only stickers left are the factory stickers on the side cowls and the rear fender.

No more non-factory stickers, Spider M1 grips fitted, and wiring behind headlight neatened up:

Front 320mm disc and 4 piston caliper that stops the beasty in it's tracks:

Side panels and rear panels de-stickered and now black.
    Before we went on holiday I did the de-stickering, cleaning, sanding, primering (plastic primer) and a few coats of Satin Black using normal spray cans.

I can safely say I got all the following goodies even before I got the bike.
    Set of ZETA handguards, Bel Ray gearbox oil (gearbox takes 525ml), Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W60 full synthetic engine oil (1250ml for the engine) and SBS sintered pads.

Old OEM pads for the front disc along with the new SBS jobbies:

Handguard stuff:

All done within about an hour:

I had to space the aluminium bar outwards a bit with a washer (on the right side in the pic where it bolts to the brace) to make it clear the brake lever:

Did a DIY "tail tidy" and a catch can setup.

Tail tidy was done because the number plate is mounted low down and the plastic mounting bracket thingy wobbled, rattled and just looked ***.
    Catch can setup was done as the oil tank (dry sump setup on this bike) breathes into the airbox and oil collects in the airbox and is pretty messy after a while.

Please excuse the really crappy cellphone pics......
    Whole taillight/plate mounting removed from bike (Gill bought me some funky LED indicators which match the lines of the bike pretty neatly as well):

Side view:

Top view showing the indicator jobbies:

Busy with measuring, cutting and modding:

What the ass end looked like with the original setup:

You can see how low the plate was mounted.

Now it looks like this:

Much neater and no more bobbling and rattling either :hurray:

Found an unused spray bottle in the house and ripped the spray part off:

Thick pipe from oil tank removed from airbox (hole plugged in 'box), rerouted towards catch can:

Catch can fitted to the water pipe that goes from the motor to the radiator (double sided tape and cable ties FTW!!!):

There is not a lot of space on this bike and this was about the best spot for it. Out the way and easy to get to if need be.

And now no more oil gets sucked into the airbox via the oil tank breather pipe. Bonus!
    This is a 1 litre Coke bottle showing the oil I drained from the airbox:

The catch can mod is a common thing that SXV dudes have done for years already to avoid the oil-in-airbox syndrome so it is not a new thing to do.

Front fender mod done to cut down on the high speed wobble that affects most Motards and off road bikes with huge sails for front fenders like this:

Fender removed:

Got loads of tips on the AF1 Forum (Aprilia forum), and got down to slicing and dicing:

Test fit after the front "lip" part was hacked off:

Looks a bit odd at first, but it is completely functional.

Next, the back end was chopped a bit:

Oil tank is now a bit exposed, but some mesh as on the rads will soon cover it for some protection:

Looks much better IMHO:

Next the radiator shrouds were stripped of the stickers, cleaned, sanded with 400 grit sandpaper, primered, left to dry overnight, then lightly sanded again and made Satin Black like the rear panels:

Now it looks waaaaaaaaaaay better :evil:

And I am getting some new vinyl decals made by Electronic Art here near my place, should have them tomorrow.
    I did a bit of Googling and found logos and stuff. Instead of paying 3K+ for an OEM decal kit from Aprilia (yes, 3K+ ), I opted to have some new ones made and to what I wanted them to be.

New stickers will include a few "aprilia" names like this:

A few "SXV" model names like this (just the SXV part, and with "550" bits as well):

And the new-style Aprilia Lion logo for the rad shrouds like this:

All decals are being done with a silver vinyl to match the black and silver look I am going for.
    Next on the list is spraying the front rim silver as well.

Rim spraying will most likely happen over the weekend, but as soon as I have fitted the new decals, I will take some way better pics than the Galaxy S3 pics here.

So the total transformation has gone from this:

To this:

New silver graphics applied and a quick photoshoot done in our front yard:

And I have not even come close to the handling limit of this bike:

Short of going on a track, I will not wear the "Rosso II" bits off the edge of the tyres on the road. Yup, those are apparently moulded into the tyres to wear them off.

Then I was in Washington DC for 11 days and came back to do some more stuff on the Italian *****.

Stock silencer insides were rusty and there was sometnihg rattling aound in it that drove me insane, so I decided to get a set of decent pipes.
    A trip was made to RACE! at Kyalami and Kit sorted me out by ordering an Arrow full system.

And how the new zorst will look:

And what the stock silencer and end tips look like out of the bike:

And what the ass end look like with silencer removed:

I am currently busy with a slight change in the colour-scheme. Changing to a metallic dark grey/black from Rustoleum called Black Night Metallic. And new purple graphics have been made to replace the silver ones.

And a taste of things to come:

Yup, paintwork is done. All panels painted Black Night Metallic and the headlight fairing and stays painted silver to break the front a bit.
    Sanded everything with 800, cleaned, dried with a heat gun, shot a thin base coat of the new paint, let dry for about 4 hours, then did 2 decent coats.

Letting the new paint set nicely overnight, will fit the new purple stickers to the panels and refit it all back to the bike tomorrow afternoon.

Will take pics with a decent camera as well, used my cellphone for these pics.

New graphics:

And all ready to be taken to my friend for some clear coat:

I did rip the stock zorst off the bike so that everything is set for tomorrow when the new Arrow system gets fitted.

Removed seat, removed 10 bolts and 2 springs (2 bolts each for the header flanges where they bolt to the heads, 2 springs where the headers go onto the silencer, 4 bolts that hold the silencer in the subframe, 2 bolts that hold the tips to the subframe), and 10 minutes later we have this:

Yes, 10 minutes is all it took to remove the complete stock zorst. Not a single body panel needs to be removed at all, just the seat. I absolutely love working on the bike as everything is so easily accessible.

Here you can see the front and rear headers are nowhere near the same length:

And I found this pic on some forum that shows what the inside of the stock silencer looks like:

And this is what the stock zorst sounds like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etXLK...ature=youtu.be

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

I got the new Arrow system from RACE! and drooled for about 2 hours before fitting this new CF and Titanium niceness.
    [/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Busy with fitment:
    [/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Nothing extra was needed for fitment as Arrow supplied every last bolt, nut, washer, spacer, bracket etc in the kit. Expensive, yes, but worth every single cent.

All done and a quick vid was taken:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2KlIHzUrkU

And what it looks like now:
    [/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Grammar Nazi (Wish I was a biker) Buelligan's Avatar
    Bike
    XTaZee
    Region
    Gauteng

Awesome job. Looks great

My 2c worth ..... the 550 sticker looks a very cheap after market add on, I would take them off, just my opinion
    Looking for a new onw...some Mad Scot stole mine

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple
    Region
    Gauteng

Awesome job. Love the effort you put into her.

Also agree about the 550 though

Bike
    '13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks guys!
    The "550" is under the clear coat, so removing it will be a bit of a mission to do. Not lus to sand all that clear off, remove the stickers, then have them clear coated again.

I also thought it looked like an add-on, but I got used to it.
    "I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives." - Billy Connolly

Lurker
    Bike
    2008 Aprilia SXV 450
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Skully-SXV View Post
    Thanks guys!
    The "550" is under the clear coat, so removing it will be a bit of a mission to do. Not lus to sand all that clear off, remove the stickers, then have them clear coated again.

I also thought it looked like an add-on, but I got used to it.
    I know this is an old thread, but...how did the paint hold up over time? Been thinking of painting my SXV but want to know if it held up on the bodywork as well as regular street bike fairings do?

Thanks....

N00b
    Bike
    CR500AF , GS1200
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by tgodon13 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but...how did the paint hold up over time? Been thinking of painting my SXV but want to know if it held up on the bodywork as well as regular street bike fairings do?

Thanks....
    Drop me a whatís app, I started a SXV/RXV whats app group with like minded people owning these beautiful Italian bikes
    Gavin 0716432833
    Ps Iím looking for a titanium exhaust system or twin Arrow system for mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lurker
    Bike
    2008 Aprilia SXV 450
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Gda1 View Post
    Drop me a whatís app, I started a SXV/RXV whats app group with like minded people owning these beautiful Italian bikes
    Gavin 0716432833
    Ps Iím looking for a titanium exhaust system or twin Arrow system for mine

I'm not very familiar with What's App, I use it with one friend, but do not know how to find you or the group with it.

N00b
    Bike
    CR500AF , GS1200
    Region
    Gauteng

Send me your contact details

Lurker
    Bike
    2008 Aprilia SXV 450
    Region
    Outside South Africa