Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection

N00b
    Bike
    BMW Sertao
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Hearing protection

In addition to the usual helmet, jacket, etc etc I'm looking at getting some ear plugs. But not the foam ones that block out everything, proper ones that just eliminate whats needed (Noise Ban). But the (roughly) R850 question is how do I convince my medical aid that they should cover it? Anyone here manage to get this right? I dont mind footing the bill (I like my hearing) but obviously getting someone else to pay for it would be sooo much better!

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Try writing them a letter motivating your request with the reasons and advantages of getting the hearing protection. Could potentially save them money in the long term.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Can't see a medical aid pay for the ear plugs.

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Can't see a medical aid pay for the ear plugs.
    Well you already have no for an answer if you don't ask, always a chance of yes if you do. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    Well you already have no for an answer if you don't ask, always a chance of yes if you do. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    True. I certainly hope he is not on my medical aid. Would hate to think I am paying, in part, for his ear plugs.

Bike
    HONDA NC750X
    Region
    Gauteng

True. I certainly hope he is not on my medical aid. Would hate to think I am paying, in part, for his ear plugs.
    Why? Then he would be paying, in part, for your zimmerframe.

N00b
    Bike
    BMW Sertao
    Region
    Western Cape

Would you rather pay for someone elses hearings aids, or ear plugs? Anyway, I'll see what they say.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by colyvon View Post
    Why? Then he would be paying, in part, for your zimmerframe.
    True!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post

Would you rather pay for someone elses hearings aids, or ear plugs? Anyway, I'll see what they say.
    Now that you put it that way, see if you can get them to pay for your gloves, boots, helmet, etc. as well.

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

I dont mind footing the bill (I like my hearing) but obviously getting someone else to pay for it would be sooo much better!
    Now for my little rant.

Medical aid is there for unforeseen bills and to prevent financial hardship for catastrophic medical events, why would you want to use someone else's money to pay for something that should be your own responsibility?

Go find a sugar Mommy or Daddy
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

N00b
    Bike
    BMW Sertao
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Now for my little rant.

Medical aid is there for unforeseen bills and to prevent financial hardship for catastrophic medical events, why would you want to use someone else's money to pay for something that should be your own responsibility?

Its a preventative measure against an almost guaranteed loss in hearing function... Again I'll ask, would you rather pay for someones elses hearing aids, or ear plugs? Which one do you think will save the medical scheme (and by extension you) more money in the long run?

Bike
    Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z,
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Now for my little rant.

Agreed.
    As an example, medical aids would pay for the least expensive medicine available for treatment of a particular condition, therefore, they would pay the equivilant value to that of the "generic" medicine. If you would like to take the "branded" medicine as opposed to the generic, then you would have to pay the difference; generally termed the "co-payment". The same would probably be applicable in the case of "ear plugs"; they would probably pay the value up to the cost of the orage sponge ear plugs and you would have to foot the balance (R850 less R1 = R849), thus you could pay R849 instead of the R850.
    This is a similar issue to that which was exposed a number of years ago whereby people were getting RayBan sun glasses from their optometrist and these were being paid for by the medical aid - in fact the medical aid members were paying for them (indirectly) and the monthly medical aid contributions had to be increased each year to cover such activity. Contributions contiue to increase each year, but at a far less drastice rate since mecal aids have become more strict in what is / is not allowed for.
    Rather have your medical aid cover the "big ticket" items and help reduce the rate of annual increase by keeping an eye on the "day to day" medical expense.
    (and no, I do not work for a medical aid or medical aid administrator, but I do have a function within the industry).

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Its a preventative measure against an almost guaranteed loss in hearing function... Again I'll ask, would you rather pay for someones elses hearing aids, or ear plugs? Which one do you think will save the medical scheme (and by extension you) more money in the long run?
    This hearing loss can be avoided completely by not riding a bike. Also, said possible hearing loss can be prevented by the R2,50 wax plugs from any pharmacy. Your reasoning does not hold water.

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

This hearing loss can be avoided completely by not riding a bike.
    blerry hell oomie, now you tell me!!!!!!!!

And here I thought I was forking deaf cause of standing too close to the speakers at rock concerts (no oom! not kurt darren).

Of course not having good hearing has it's advantages ........................ as any married man would know

Please type loudly if you got something to say ................. I can't hear a blerry thing

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

Not a case of what I would pay for, but why should I use mine and others money and suffer the subsequent increases for something that you should be responsible for because you think it would be good if someone else pays for it.
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

They may pay for them and them up your premium as you ride a bike.... Careful how you motivate the request for ear protection cover.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Hog View Post
    the speakers at rock concerts (no oom! not kurt darren).

g
    Methinks the hoggie doth protests too much.

AMZ and Moose fan!

Bike
    BMW S1000R, K1300S
    Region
    Western Cape

Methinks the hoggie doth protests too much.
    Can't hear you

Biker
    Bike
    Ducati Monster 1200S
    Region
    Gauteng

Just to revive this thread, I am pretty new to riding and have been enjoying it BIG time The wind noise in my helmet is getting to me though, and my ears are pretty sensitive. What are the best options out there? I have spoken to bikers who have used:

1) Foam Earplugs - Very affordable, block out all noise, can cause pressure in the ear and become uncomfortable after long rides due to their "expanding" nature, and do not really like to be washed for reuse due to the foam
    2) Wax Earplugs - Dampen a lot of the noise, suit your ear shape better, pressurises the air between the plug and ear drum which can cause discomfort, attracts ear wax easily and has potential become nasty after a couple of uses (depending on how much ear wax the individual has)
    3) Custom made plugs - Expensive, perfect fit, blocks ALL noise
    4) In-ear Music ear phones - Benefit of being able to listen to GPS/Music, could be uncomfortable depending on size and helmet fit, relatively cheap, not sure on noise dampening
    5) NoNoise plugs - Said to Block out low frequency road noise and wind, allows high frequencies through, reusable, comfortable, mid priced. (http://www.nonoise.co.za/products/motorsport/)

Does anyone have some feedback on the best type of hearing protection?

Biker

Bike
    KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    Region
    Gauteng

I recently switched to NoNoise from foam. The NoNoise plugs are fantastic.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzster View Post
    3) Custom made plugs - Expensive, perfect fit, blocks ALL noise
    That doesn't sound right. Custom made plugs usually have a filter blocking noise above certain Db level, allowing normal sounds and air through. Mine is ProtecEar and they do. Well worth the expenditure.