Thread: Crashbars... or not?

Biker Trash
    Bike
    GS (Amadeus)
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Crashbars... or not?

Since getting my GS I've been tremendously proud to ride it around, and enjoying it more than I thought I would. I've even given her a service, balanced the throttles, adjusted the valves, and she's running sweet. But, she has no crashbars.

Question is, how sturdy are the GS engines? Can they handle the bike falling over? I mean some scratches are probably okay, but will the valve covers break?

Or should I get crashbars? They not cheap, and found some reasonably priced ones from motoradical. But is it worth it to have them?

Bike
    Toadwart - 1200 HD Sporty Custom
    Region
    Gauteng

My crash bar on the Harley has saved mirrors, tank, handlebars, indicators...best R4k I ever spent - and those are all from just drops...
    Ride without regret - live life the same way

Bike
    BMW GS 1200 LC
    Region
    Gauteng

Dirk in my opinion, yes....get them. I am on my third GS now and droped mine last year when someone skipped the stop street. The engine can take a punch but onlly uptill a point then the valve covers will be damaged badly. Yes the best price is with Motorradical at the moment. You don't need to go for the full set, you only need to take the bottom half to protect the valve covers.
    I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.....

Capt Grumpy - The Comedian
    Bike
    R1200R
    Region
    Gauteng

header guards are always a good buy, a cracked head or a damaged plug wire could be the difference between getting home or not.
    Spent my therapy money on a K1200S
    Therapy must have worked, bought a GS
    Insanity crept back in, in the shape of an R1200R

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    header guards are always a good buy, a cracked head or a damaged plug wire could be the difference between getting home or not.

Agreed with Stranger. Only problem now is, these days a set of tappet cover protectors, or crash bars are more expensive than a tappet cover.

Bike
    KTM990S , R1200GS For Sale
    Region
    Gauteng

I say get the full set. Top and Bottom

I've had three spectacular crashes on my GS this year where without the crash bars I would have been stranded in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road.

First crash: Rock of Hope ride with the Wilddogs. When up the rock with way to much throttle, when the front wheel came back down on the trail I veered off the single track right into a very big rock. I went over the bars and the bike fell on its side on some nasty rocks. If I had the top bars fitted I would not have scratched my tank covers.

Second crash: Duallies to Dullies mud ride. Went through some crappy mud lost the back end and ended with a spectacular highside at about 60kph. Ploughed a nice sloot in the road with the crashbars, zero damage to the valve cover.

Third crash: About 400m after the second crash. Just enough time to get back up to 50kph.... Front wheel went into a big rut. Crash bar digs onto side of rut and me and 1200GS pivot around the engine I'm flung about 5m past the bike, the bike is facing the opposite direction in which I was traveling. Zero damage to the engine. Scratches on the beak screen and hand guard.

I truly believe if I did not have the bars on with any of these I would have been stranded with a broken valve cover or sheered blots.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I say get the full set. Top and Bottom

I've had three spectacular crashes on my GS this year where without the crash bars I would have been stranded in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road.

First crash: Rock of Hope ride with the Wilddogs. When up the rock with way to much throttle, when the front wheel came back down on the trail I veered off the single track right into a very big rock. I went over the bars and the bike fell on its side on some nasty rocks. If I had the top bars fitted I would not have scratched my tank covers.

Second crash: Duallies to Dullies mud ride. Went through some crappy mud lost the back end and ended with a spectacular highside at about 60kph. Ploughed a nice sloot in the road with the crashbars, zero damage to the valve cover.

Third crash: About 400m after the second crash. Just enough time to get back up to 50kph.... Front wheel went into a big rut. Crash bar digs onto side of rut and me and 1200GS pivot around the engine I'm flung about 5m past the bike, the bike is facing the opposite direction in which I was traveling. Zero damage to the engine. Scratches on the beak screen and hand guard.

I truly believe if I did not have the bars on with any of these I would have been stranded with a broken valve cover or sheered blots.
    It all depends on how you use the bike I suppose. Upper and lower set will set you back just over R5k. Not peanuts at all.

Biker Trash
    Bike
    GS (Amadeus)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    It all depends on how you use the bike I suppose. Upper and lower set will set you back just over R5k. Not peanuts at all.
    OK you guys have me convinced. Just paid for an upper and lower set from Motorradical, only R3695! Popping around later for fitment...

Dirty Bella
    Bike
    CBX250 Baby Blade(Pepper), Gixxer 750(Monica), Daytona 600(She), EX300 (Baby Girl)
    Region
    Gauteng

or buy a proper bike with the engine in the right place and configuration
    Lifes like riding the open road. its got its up hills, down hills, its thunderstorms and sunshine, doesnt matter where your going as long as you enjoy the ride

Bike
    F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by DirkM View Post
    OK you guys have me convinced. Just paid for an upper and lower set from Motorradical, only R3695! Popping around later for fitment...
    You won't regret it! Especially when you are in the rough and your bike feels like taking a nap

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

How much for lowers only?

Can't seem to find it on their website?

Biker Trash
    Bike
    GS (Amadeus)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    How much for lowers only?

Can't seem to find it on their website?
    Lowers only is R2395, upper is R1895. But if you buy the set you get it for R3695 instead of R4290 (combined lower + upper price). You can see it in the list when selecting Products->BMW->R1200GS. I picked up mine today, they fitted the lowers (for free) but could not fit the uppers due to my non-standard spotlights. So I had had to fit those when I got home. Excuse the grainy pics, it was already dark out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smooth bottomed bunny hugger Brendon's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Looks good

You made the right choice.

Bike
    Hyosang GT650R (sold), CBR1000RR (sold), BMW R1200GS (sold), BMW 650X (sold), R1200GSA 2016
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Have to agree....money well spent.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Lowers only is R2395, upper is R1895. But if you buy the set you get it for R3695 instead of R4290 (combined lower + upper price). You can see it in the list when selecting Products->BMW->R1200GS. I picked up mine today, they fitted the lowers (for free) but could not fit the uppers due to my non-standard spotlights. So I had had to fit those when I got home. Excuse the grainy pics, it was already dark out.
    Looks great. I like the black.

Good price on the combo. SW Motech lowers are R2400 at GPS4Africa. His price on the uppers is also about R2400. No idea if he runs a combo special.