Thread: SV1000S as a second bike.

Bike
    Suzuki Hayabusa
    Region
    Gauteng

Default SV1000S as a second bike.

I am currently riding a 2009 GSR600 & thinking of buying a 2005 SV1000S as a second bike, is the SV a good choice, I don’t like to ride fast just like to enjoy the ride, and I like the sound of the V-twin motor.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Elie Vermeulen View Post
    I am currently riding a 2009 GSR600 & thinking of buying a 2005 SV1000S as a second bike, is the SV a good choice, I don’t like to ride fast just like to enjoy the ride, and I like the sound of the V-twin motor.
    Don't be mistaken, the SV1000 is not a slow bike. It is pretty darned fast. I love V-Twins and as far as V-Twins go, the SV must be very high on the list of nice bikes to have. One thing you need to look our for is that the SV have a longish distance between seat and handle bars and could stretch a short person a tad. It feels okay on a short ride, but can be hard work on longer rides. If you do fit on the bike nicely, I can think of no reason why an SV would not do the job.

Bike
    Suzuki Hayabusa
    Region
    Gauteng

I took one for a test drive and I liked it, I am 6 feet tall so the stretch to the handlebars is no problem, the dealer that I went to have a 2005 Red SV1000S with full fairing & ±25000 Km on the clock, they wants R45K for the bike & an extra R5850 for paperwork, license & warranty. Is that a reasonable price or is he overcharging for a bike that is already 8 years old.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Elie Vermeulen View Post
    I took one for a test drive and I liked it, I am 6 feet tall so the stretch to the handlebars is no problem, the dealer that I went to have a 2005 Red SV1000S with full fairing & ±25000 Km on the clock, they wants R45K for the bike & an extra R5850 for paperwork, license & warranty. Is that a reasonable price or is he overcharging for a bike that is already 8 years old.

Sorry, no idea what a proper price for the bike would be. The R5850 for paperworks sounds astronomical!

Biker Trash
    Bike
    Honda Arica Twin
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    The R5850 for paperworks sounds astronomical!
    That was also my initial feeling, then I saw it also included warranty, depending on how comprehensive that warranty is, it could be worth while

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Peterv View Post
    That was also my initial feeling, then I saw it also included warranty, depending on how comprehensive that warranty is, it could be worth while
    Oops!

Misread the warranty bit. If the warranty is worth the paper it is written on, then the R5850 isn't that bad.

Bike
    Hyosang GT650R (sold), CBR1000RR (sold), BMW R1200GS (sold), BMW 650X (sold), R1200GSA 2016
    Region
    Outside South Africa

Pulling some adverts:

R48k no km stated
    http://www.junkmail.co.za/motoring/m...-sell-20621615

A few ranging from 39-45
    http://www.gumtree.co.za/fp-suzuki+sv1000

So the average seems to be about right, depending on km's and extra's.

The above being mostly private sales, and yours from a stealer.

Bike
    honda CBR125R (Sold) , Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold), Honda VFR800(sold), Kawasaki ZX6R
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Silvrav View Post
    R48k no km statedSo the average seems to be about right, depending on km's and extra's.The above being mostly private sales, and yours from a stealer.
    My dad picked up his SV1000s with 32000 k on the clock, pristine condition, no rust (East London) and polished rims with power commander and twin cowley free flow pipes fitted for just R 38 000, seen a few on OLX, in land areas, which look in top condition in around the same price range, dads had he's for 14 months now, only problem been a blocked fuel filter, and the bike sounds AMAZING
    Seen so many other awesome signatures...and I can't think of any...oh well guess this is mine then

Bike
    Bike-loos
    Region
    Gauteng

I had one, awesome bike. You cant go wrong. AMZ can attest to the sound when I started my bike as halfway cuppa
    I love the RUMBLING EARTHSHATTERING sound of my V-TWIN!!!!!

Bike
    Suzuki Hayabusa
    Region
    Gauteng

As I understand the salesman it is only a mechanical warranty and they want R3K for the warranty & I don’t know if the warranty will let me service my own bike or if it has to be serviced by the dealer or a Suzuki agent.

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    blue
    Region
    Gauteng

You could get one, same model and mileage more or less for +-R40K and paperwork will be in order. Why is the Paperwork "missing"?

My Suggestion is wait for the real deal to coma along. R45000 + R3000 + R5850 = Too much for the SV. For R55K you could look at the VTR rather.
    I know it does not make sense but give it time, You should not buy any bike in a rush.

Plenty of nice 2007 Models for R46K in GumTree etc etc.
    Recommendation is nope.

President : Pearl Black MCC
    www.pearlblackmcc.co.za

Bike
    Suzuki Hayabusa
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Boesmann, I think you are right, rather wait as a lot of bikes go on sale in the winter months as there are guys that don’t like it to ride in the cold weather & sell there bikes…I ride winter & summer so I can wait for the right bike at the right price.