+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Toll Protest Rides - GP

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by McSack View Post
    ... or will be expecting SANRAL to "prove" that they used the road before they are willing to pay. I'm going with the 2nd option myself even if it means I have to pay more
    That is where I'm going too. If the tolling goes ahead, I will expect proof of every debit they expect me to pay.

Unfortunately for SANRAL, they don't get a complete set of new laws - "he who alleges, must substantiate".

So, if you allege I passed underneath your gantry, prove it. Send pics!
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by McSack View Post
    I really think there is going to be a collection of fees struggle if SANRAL is not able to bully enough people into eTagging themselves.
    Personally, I've been involved with as many of the protests as possible and many of the people I have spoken are either planning to just not pay at all , or will be expecting SANRAL to "prove" that they used the road before they are willing to pay. I'm going with the 2nd option myself even if it means I have to pay more
    I would suggest again, as I have in the past, that you run this via some oke who understands the legal implications.

A horse, a horse... my Kingdom for a horse. Knight's Avatar
    Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja z1000sx (Skye)
    Region
    Gauteng
    Who said a Knight must have a white horse. ::

EsioTrot

Quote Originally Posted by theRéhann View Post

So, if you allege I passed underneath your gantry, prove it. Send pics!
    Réhann, that is the easiest thing for them. They will have pictures from the front, the back, the sides and the top. They can even identify your vehicle by comparing photo's for little scratch marks or chips in the paint. They spent millions of rand on this equipment and it is very clever stuff. Maybe you should rethink this one.

Bike
    CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by EsioTrot View Post
    Réhann, that is the easiest thing for them. They will have pictures from the front, the back, the sides and the top. They can even identify your vehicle by comparing photo's for little scratch marks or chips in the paint. They spent millions of rand on this equipment and it is very clever stuff. Maybe you should rethink this one.
    That would be the easiest thing for them if it's the odd occasional car or bike, not when only a fraction of the users are tagged. To get all those statements out will be a logistical nightmare which the system would not be able to handle. Hell, I can't even get my electricity bill on time (most month I get my final warning before the statement arrives, if it arrives). If nobody registers this system will not work.

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by EsioTrot View Post
    I know they have the technology. But when I inquired, they said they won't provide the proof - only if you are an e-Tag customer. And that is bullsh!t.

If you drive there, you will pay. That is a fact. You can drive without a number plate, the cameras can read the car's VIN number off the licence disk or underneath the windscreen.

But I will not register for an e-Tag and I do not trust them either, so when they bill me, they will have to prove I was there.

That is my issue here. Not that they might not be able to prove it, but that they're not planning on substantiating their claim for fees.
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

Bike
    Hyosang GT650R (sold), CBR1000RR (sold), BMW R1200GS (sold), BMW 650X (sold), R1200GSA 2016
    Region
    Outside South Africa

I know they have the technology. But when I inquired, they said they won't provide the proof - only if you are an e-Tag customer. And that is bullsh!t.

If you drive there, you will pay. That is a fact. You can drive without a number plate, the cameras can read the car's VIN number off the licence disk or underneath the windscreen.

But I will not register for an e-Tag and I do not trust them either, so when they bill me, they will have to prove I was there.

That is my issue here. Not that they might not be able to prove it, but that they're not planning on substantiating their claim for fees.
    sooooo....dont use a cage

Bike
    EX Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
    Region
    Gauteng

Bruden of proof is on them
    However as stated it may cost more in end to get them to prove it

I am lucky I can mostly avoid the highway
    Those who lead sometimes falls first.
    None of above comments against non Honda motor cycles is to be taken as serious
    I’m sure there is one or two other makes on the road that has a decent bike out there
    (Hell there might even be a good BMW out there somewhere)

Bike
    BMW K1200GT
    Region
    Gauteng

General question. How many people in your circle of friends and colleagues are actually going to pay of not pay? Most people are all talk but some already have their ETags 😳 I am just trying to get a general idea on the hard liners who are actually going to stand up and protest and not pay.
    Roy & Sandy
    BMW K1200GT

Bike
    Toadwart - 1200 HD Sporty Custom
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Roy&Sandy View Post
    General question. How many people in your circle of friends and colleagues are actually going to pay of not pay? Most people are all talk but some already have their ETags  I am just trying to get a general idea on the hard liners who are actually going to stand up and protest and not pay.
    I dont do tolls - wont register, wont pay either - simple as that. If everyone refused to register, can you imagine the chaos - I dont know anyone who has - and I certainly wont.

Next e-Tolls protest ride Saturday 15 June - same start venue - want to make it bigger - so bring your scoot - this one is going to be a slow ride - last time we had the support of the cagers while we were riding - it actually had a lot of positive spin offs with the cagers and bikers. See you there
    Ride without regret - live life the same way

Grammar Nazi (Wish I was a biker) Buelligan's Avatar
    Bike
    XTaZee
    Region
    Gauteng

the cameras can read the car's VIN number off the license disk or underneath the windscreen
    They cannot. FACT. Just verified it
    Looking for a new onw...some Mad Scot stole mine

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Buelligan View Post
    My disc is almost on Toadie's tummy - better be a very low camera - I love cops on their knees

Bike
    BMW K1200GT
    Region
    Gauteng

Another reason to ride my bike 👍👍 disk not on windscreen 😀😀 registered all my vehicles in Cape Town so will wait for the invoices and statements 😁😁
    Roy & Sandy
    BMW K1200GT

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Toadie registered in J Bay - good luck to them

Bike
    BMW K1200GT
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks the replies guys, if we don't register or pay it will be chaos 😀😀 that's if we stand together
    Roy & Sandy
    BMW K1200GT

Bike
    BMW K1200GT
    Region
    Gauteng

Rather give my license fees to a province who will actually do something positive with it 👍
    Roy & Sandy
    BMW K1200GT

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Roy&Sandy View Post
    Thanks the replies guys, if we don't register or pay it will be chaos  that's if we stand together
    Now I have this in my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auCDOERZyE

Laaa...la la...lalalala laaaaaaaa...

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

You need to understand and accept one thing: You are going to pay. You will have no choice. Unless you are willing to ride / drive arounbd with a vehicle licence that has not been renewed, you will have no choice.

The best you can do is to frustrate their collection process. But when the time comes to renew your vehicle licence/s or driver's licence, you will not be allowed to if you have outstanding toll charges. The collection systems will be linked.

The best you can do, and what I propose doing, is to:
    - not get an e-tag
    - query every toll charge and demand photographic evidence to substantiate the charge

However, they will catch up with you at renewal time.

It doesn't matter where you registered your vehicle, because the eNATiS system is a national one. This is not like speeding fines from the Karoo. The authority does not have to come and find you. You have to renew licences and for that you have to go to the authority.

So give up on this fantasy of "I will not pay". You will pay. Unless your vehicle registered in another country.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

That would be avery impressive photo!
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng

You are wrong. Besides which, the cameras shoot from the front and the back, so not even the old trick of just one numberplate on the car will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    That would be avery impressive photo!
    It is. The technology is impressive. And it has been done before. A mate of mine took off his car's front numberplate and sped through Limpopo. And showed me the pic of his BMW 320d's VIN number underneath the windscreen a couple of weeks later.

+ Reply to Thread