Thread: Struggling with carbs

N00b
    Bike
    Bajaj Pulsar 220F & 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 1100
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Struggling with carbs

Hi there,

I recently bought a 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 1100. I am repairing it and am struggling with the carbs. It has a bank of 4 mikuni carbs. I cleaned the carbs and once re-attached the bike keeps on running up the revs until it limits out. I have disconnected the throttle cable, unscrewed the idle screw so that it does not touch the throttle. I tried adjusting the mixture screws but with no result. The only explanation that I can think of is that the intake manifold is punctured and is in effect bypassing the carb's throttle. Even with the throttle completely shut it still happened. I re-set the needle to its original position with no difference at all. Choke is closed completely.

What can I do or look at. I am on a strict budget and am trying to do as much by myself as possible. I have limited experience with carbs and have mostly been in contact with more modern electronic systems and fuel injection.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

N00b
    Bike
    Bajaj Pulsar 220F & 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 1100
    Region
    Gauteng

I managed to sort out the problem, I found that there was a rough surface on the intake manifold, i sanded it down and replaced the rubber manifold tubes. This solved the most irritating problem. So the conclusion was that it was an air leak on the intake manifold.

Bike
    2012 Blade - Starlight
    Region
    Gauteng

Glad you got it sorted out, buddy
    Got a taste, can't be saved, I'm a junkie for life
    She fuels my fire and adrenaline high
    My need for speed's got me gunning
    One touch, she screams: "Keep it coming!"
    Are you ready for the best damn ride of your life? - Rev theory - Hell yeah