Thread: Where can I find a Honda CBF500...

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBX250
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Where can I find a Honda CBF500...

...in South Africa?! I have a CBX250 & wish to upgrade - the CBF500 looks like its older brother, and, according to all the reviews out there, are super reliable & just the bike for a newbie who want to upgrade to something a lot tamer than a CBR600.
    Problem is, I never see them for sale anywhere... anybody has any leads or know of one that's going?
    Thanks
    Tinus

Bike
    BMW F650GS, Rose R6, CB400F (ICU)
    Region
    Gauteng

Ag damn, you know of course this is the kind of invitation I wait for just to get on Gumtree. I'm addicted to Gumtree.
    Ride with me, drink with me, party with me, make memories with me, defend our lifestyle with me but whatever else you do, never **** with me. I just did not want you to mistake my jovial nature as a weakness. I AM WHAT I AM - A BIKER BY CHOICE.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Never heard of one in SA. The 600 Hornet is probably your closest bet.

Bike
    BMW F650GS, Rose R6, CB400F (ICU)
    Region
    Gauteng

Nothing like that on gumtree. CBX500 yes but not CBF.
    Ride with me, drink with me, party with me, make memories with me, defend our lifestyle with me but whatever else you do, never **** with me. I just did not want you to mistake my jovial nature as a weakness. I AM WHAT I AM - A BIKER BY CHOICE.

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Are you talking about the 1993 - 2003 CB500 or 2005 - 2008 CBF500?

The first one came in half-faired S and naked N variants, and is a brilliant step-up and commuter machine. Good enough to have it's own one make race series in the UK for a while. Punchy parallel twin with a fun little top-end rush from 7000rpm to the redline at 8000rpm (if memory serves correct). Bulletproof bike - lots of UK couriers use them as work hacks (including yours truly - I had one for a while and it never failed me once) and they're also popular with riding schools. The later ones were built in Italy and some of the finishes dipped a little quality-wise, but not for long.

The CBF500 was a step towards the CBF600S (now sadly discontinued here but it'll be a brilliant used buy), using the engine and gearbox of the CB500 but in a new frame, bodywork and running gear.

My honest suggestion? If you have the money, try to find a clean CBF600S or Hornet 600. http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-...AdIdZ384327792 - Looks good, good price too if it's not been dropped, and blow-all mileage. That'd be the type of deal to go for.

CBF500http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-Vehicles-motorcycles-scooters-Honda-Hornet-CB600F-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ386275080

The CBF is really more of a tame half-faired Hornet with cheaper suspension, but is the spiritual successor to the CB & CBF500. Also popular with couriers in London according to old contacts, and that's a reliability endorsement if ever there was one. I've also seen a few of the early CB600 Hornets ('98-2000 models) being brought in. Basically the same motor as a CBR600F and all the reliability but more punch and fun than the CB500. Early ones just "suffered" from smallish fuel tank capacities.

I don't remember if they were official imports into SA but I have seen two up for sale. Probably imported as greys.

http://durban.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-V...AdIdZ387003958 - Repainted, questionable fairing made to fit, aftermarket end can and indicators, cheap replacement pillion pegs dangling...

http://durban.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-V...AdIdZ386270782 - Standard, later model (probably a '99 going by the black with gold rims). Pity it's a wreck.

If mechanically minded you could probably get both and make one good bike out of them. The motors are strong. Honestly though? Look elsewhere.

Try Junkmail, Gumtree and similar sites, along with dealers like Bikeshoponline and their competitors. The only two things going against it here would be getting spares urgently along with selling it quickly. You could also look for the Honda Bros 650 for a similar fun and reliable bike on the grey price scale. 650 V-twin with allow beam frame and nice handling. 750 Africa Twin top end conversion boosts performance.

http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-...AdIdZ382760724 - This one's been dropped on both sides (probably new rider near standstill) and I've seen better examples, but at least it gives you an idea.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX 1340 B-King
    Region
    Gauteng

I once saw a CB500... It belonged to my buddie's brother when I was in school... Looked great! But not for sale for anything... Eventough he never rid it either...

Bike
    2003 R1150RT
    Region
    Gauteng

Htwoo, I had one of these when I was a lot thinner.....ag, I mean younger.

Awesome bike.

http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-...AdIdZ386010225
    .....there is a fine line between an optimist and an idiot.....

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBX250
    Region
    Western Cape

weeeellll, good luck with that... I've only seen them show up twice on gumtree in the last 3 months! (and that's looking at whole of SA) - see Banditman's excellent reply below. In his opinion this bike only a grey import into SA.

Lurker
    Bike
    Honda CBX250
    Region
    Western Cape

Hey Banditman, thanks for an excellent & thorough reply!! I thought it might be the case that only a few CBF500's come in as greys...

I'm not keen to go up to a 600 though; after years in a cage, I'm now taking on Cape Town traffic & learning the ropes on a bike - I'm ready for something more powerful than 250, but am not confident enough in my abilities to step right up to a 600, so next will be a 400 then...

Can I tax you guys for another opinion? CB400 Super four vs Honda Bros (NT400 I think), how do they compare pros to cons???
    (ummm, at the risk of p&%^ssing off a whole lotta folk, I'm sure a many will suggest the VFR400 NC30's, but I like the looks of the naked bikes more!)

Cheers

HtwoO

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

You're welcome, but read my reply carefully: I'm not sure if the CB500 WAS a grey import or were brought in officially but in small numbers. Suzuki brought in the GS500 which was one competitor overseas, along with the Kawasaki ER5. Of the three, the CB was the top dog, followed by the ER5 (which was good but a bit girly), and with the GS500 coming in last as equally reliable but far older tech & worse in finish.

Those two CeeBees on Gumtree are likely greys.

The CB400 Super Four's a good bike. Very similar to the CB-1 but more retro (actually, better) in looks. The Bros likewise. Both are decent machines with good handling, and the difference will really come down to which looks and engine characteristics you prefer. Those bikes were also very popular as London despatching bikes.

There's really not a massive step from 400 to 600cc as long as you're not talking about the supersports stuff (ZX-6R, CBR-RR, GSX-R, YZF-R6). You'll likely grow more and for longer with the 600. Best not too spicy choice: clean Honda CBF600S/Kawasaki ER-6n or f/Suzuki Bandit GSF650S coupled with training from Sandi (Two Wheel Rider Training in Fishhoek) or Billy (Bikersafe).
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.