Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Those Stupid Squids - Brittany Morrow

Bike
    Harley, Ducati, BMW plus a few more
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    We all tend to learn the hard way. Got on the bike to go to work one summers morning. Looked at the gloves lying on the table next to the bike and thought "Warm today, wont bother". Baaad decision. 5 minutes later was skidding down the road with the backs of my hands making very abrasive contact with the tar. ( Never ridden a single kilometre since then without gloves

Useful TB advertising though. Whenever I see some little chickie riding her scoot wearing a tank top, I go over and show her the backs of my hands. "You keep riding dressed like that, this is what those pretty shoulders of yours will look like the first time you fall. Would you like that? And you will fall."
    hahaha best deterent. I am sure it makes an impression.
    Years ago travelling on the R21 north I saw a bike with pillion (both Males, lids on, shorts and tee shirts) riding in the blind spot of a car in the left lane. Cage decided to take the Olifantsfontein off ramp and clipped the bike. Both fell clear fortunately but it was weird to see them both sliding along the tar trying to stop themselves with their gloveless hands. I stopped and took details down and gave them my contact number. They were both OK except for multiple abrasions. I was phoned a while later to go to the police station to make a statement as an eyewitness and coincidently while I was there these guys walked in. Looked like red indians wth mecurachrome war paint. Very subdued and walking with difficulty as the scabs were forming. That convinced me to wear gloves and at least jeans even if I go down 400m the road to the service station on the TW200.

Bike
    2001 F650GS "Sonix"
    Region
    Gauteng

@ Linus, sadly we don't all have the scars to show them - I'm actually thinking of having a little laminated book condensed version of the TITTS presentation that I can keep in my car and on the bike so that when I come across scooter riders I can show them what it will look like.

My real account is under AMZ FJTillDeath's Avatar
    Bike
    Hyosung GT650S
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Scars, hell I have loads of those.

I can blame myself on being a squid in my first month of riding a bike, to be honest the first an only reason I got a jacket was because it was so dar cold riding at night in winter.

I have learnt my lesson from not wearing my gear, just from having offs on a normal bicycle I know the value of gear.

Everytime I see a rider in the street riding in a shirt and slops(very common amongs the ladies on scoots) but also the toppies on big bikes my skin gets goose pimply thinking of what could happen to them

There are times I ride to the shop without a jacket in something so little as a sleeveless shirt, but the moment I get on my bike in that condition my whole body shudders.

There is no trip too short or too long to not wear a jacket, no matter the weather, I have learnt from my offs that accident dont discriminate, there is no place that it cant happen.

Oh and a news flash, its a better idea to wear a jacket in hotter temps, the sun warms the tar up and makes the damage to your skin worse, even if just by a fraction compared to cold tar.

Those who have been in offs without gear will know what I mean when you see another rider without gear and feel like lectuing them.
    Those who have been in offs without gear will know what I mean when the first reaction that comes to your mind when you have a close call is "thank goodness I was wearing my gear, had I come off it would have helped"
    Life on 2 wheels is so much better

Bike
    2001 F650GS "Sonix"
    Region
    Gauteng

@FJT - have to agree with you I have not come off yet - had a few close calls but have seen my daughter go through the healing process of coming down in an off, she was wearing only a jean and a jacket, which is better than what most wear, and seeing what she had to go through is the reason why I will never ride without my gear, I've tried the one day to ride the bike to the shop with just jeans and a t-shirt - and I didn't even make it out of the drive way, just felt extremely exposed.

I saw a young lady on a scooter the other day, it looked stunning the outfit she was wearing, as if she had just been in one of those clothing commercials where they use a scooter, but the only item that would provide her any protection at all was the helmet and this only if she fell on the side or back of her head as it was an open face helmet.

My real account is under AMZ FJTillDeath's Avatar
    Bike
    Hyosung GT650S
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Nunique View Post

@FJT - have to agree with you I have not come off yet - had a few close calls but have seen my daughter go through the healing process of coming down in an off, she was wearing only a jean and a jacket, which is better than what most wear, and seeing what she had to go through is the reason why I will never ride without my gear, I've tried the one day to ride the bike to the shop with just jeans and a t-shirt - and I didn't even make it out of the drive way, just felt extremely exposed.

I saw a young lady on a scooter the other day, it looked stunning the outfit she was wearing, as if she had just been in one of those clothing commercials where they use a scooter, but the only item that would provide her any protection at all was the helmet and this only if she fell on the side or back of her head as it was an open face helmet.
    It really is sad becuase until you experience it ir see it first hand, you feel nothing wrong with the way you ride. its as you said when you finally experience it do you feel open and uneasy, complete loss of confidence which already puts you in danger on the road

It would be great if it were common sense or atleast enforced by the law. Heck it would be a great start if 90 percent of the bike dealerships around advocated the ATGATT issue. The majority I have been too have helmets for sale and thats about it. maybe a v ery crappy jacket and a set of shoes, but when a new rider comes in slops and all to pick up the bike/ pay for it, they dont even ask wheres your helmet or would you not like to buy a jacket.

At the end of the day it would be more business for the bike shops to promote gear.
    I know Thinkbike has deals with a few, but most of the ones I have seen are only interested in selling you bikes
    As a new rider, more often than not you ask most of your questions at the dealership to find out what you need, thats why I think if right from the very beginning a new rider was exposed to this it would be so much more effective
    Last edited by FJTillDeath; 09-03-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: left out bits
    Life on 2 wheels is so much better

Grammar Nazi (Wish I was a biker) Buelligan's Avatar
    Bike
    XTaZee
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by FJTillDeath View Post
    At the end of the day it would be more business for the bike shops to promote gear.
    I know Thinkbike has deals with a few, but most of the ones I have seen are only interested in selling you bikes
    As a new rider, more often than not you ask most of your questions at the dealership to find out what you need, thats why I think if right from the very beginning a new rider was exposed to this it would be so much more effective
    Agreed 100 %.
    Besides which, they should actively try and help you be safe , that way you will be around to buy another bike
    Generally speaking sales people are lazy. They will sell you what THEY think you want not what you actually need :evil:
    You need a supersport when you commute to and from work in town
    Simple questions to find out what you actually need, supply the need and have a happy customer.....
    AND promote the gear, if necessary it can probably be worked into your finance package
    Looking for a new onw...some Mad Scot stole mine

Bike
    The "C"
    Region
    Gauteng

Some of `em young ones, especially the scooter brigade, unfortunately seem to learn the hard way. My squid had the benefit of training and ATGATT . However, late teen hormones made him feel immortal and made his old man dumb...until he roasted up on a slide...with only his rugby clothes on....the roastie actually continued up his body to his shoulder...(luckily that was it, no serious injuries) did he again ride without his leathers...not that I know off, and the great thing is that mostly all of his mates immediatedly hereafter started wearing theirs too...188985_143818189019362_100001735465066_249507_5692925_n.jpg....
    Suddenly terror struck...he`s never seen a naked woman before...

Bike
    2001 F650GS "Sonix"
    Region
    Gauteng

Ouchies!!!!!

Sadly that is the case but also still think it goes further than that we are conditioned through media as well whether it is in the movies or an advert if we see that they promote bikes with no gear or even ride with no gear we think it is correct.

Have had a chat with a banker friend of mine and they have said it is very easy to work in extras, as long as it can be motivated to the finance house if they ask questions, I actually believe that dealers should not sell a bike to a new rider unless it includes the gear - heck run specials where you include the gear, what is it going to be extra, one can get away with a minimum of R5k for helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots. won't be the best on the market but S**T will be a heck of alot better than the slops etc.
    Last edited by Nunique; 09-03-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: ithumbs need I say more :)

Grammar Nazi (Wish I was a biker) Buelligan's Avatar
    Bike
    XTaZee
    Region
    Gauteng

Agreed
    Looking for a new onw...some Mad Scot stole mine

Bike
    EX Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
    Region
    Gauteng

You know what I think Vuilgoed’s post was exactly right
    People don’t really believe that they will fall.

The other problem is that people have this belief that the only people who needs to wear proper gear is people racing
    Look at cars we would all be better off in crash if we dressed in flame retardant Nomex suits (like the suits F1 drivers wear) and Helmet and 4 point harnesses every time we got in our cars.
    But the only people who does this is people racing except in car it makes some sense
    Now for someone who does not really believe he is at risk on a bike it is extremely difficulty to explain to him that he should put something on that
    1 costs allot of additional money
    2 is relatively uncomfortable to wear
    3 takes extra time to put on and take off
    4 makes it difficulty to get off the bike and just leave it in parking and not have to worry about carrying additional stuff

And as Nunique said the media is not helping
    I watched the new ghost rider movie the other night (really cr@p movie don’t waste your time)
    There was a Scene where the main character had this KID on his bike for fun and they were doing nice long wheelies and stopies without even wearing helmets
    Nice image there and all that went through my head was “nice you want to protect the Kid and then do that”
    Those who lead sometimes falls first.
    None of above comments against non Honda motor cycles is to be taken as serious
    I’m sure there is one or two other makes on the road that has a decent bike out there
    (Hell there might even be a good BMW out there somewhere)

Biker
    Bike
    BMW R1100RT
    Region
    Gauteng

Old thread, I know

Quote Originally Posted by Nunique View Post
    Ouchies!!!!!

Sadly that is the case but also still think it goes further than that we are conditioned through media as well whether it is in the movies or an advert if we see that they promote bikes with no gear or even ride with no gear we think it is correct.

Have had a chat with a banker friend of mine and they have said it is very easy to work in extras, as long as it can be motivated to the finance house if they ask questions, I actually believe that dealers should not sell a bike to a new rider unless it includes the gear - heck run specials where you include the gear, what is it going to be extra, one can get away with a minimum of R5k for helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots. won't be the best on the market but S**T will be a heck of alot better than the slops etc.
    Agreed.
    The law requires the use of a helmet, that is what I got when I bought the bike for my son.
    I thought that long pants (denim) and wind breaker was enough protection.

If I didn't join this forum, I wouldn't have known any better.

And people who know are not always equipped with the people skills to convey this message either.
    My youngest took the Pachino for a trip to the next stop and back, with plakkies and shorts. I did not even think about ATGATT!
    The two SASOLs from next door (apparently marshals at Kyalami) started commenting to each other how angry and upset they get when the youngsters do not wear PPE instead of informing us on the right way of doing things.

On the mine we've got a saying: "I am responsible for my own safety, and yours!"
    If I see you doing something unsafe, I will assume the following:
    1) You have not been taught or informed that your unsafe actions may cause harm - I will teach you.
    2) You failed to recognize the hazard - I will identify it for you.

Teach and Inform those doing wrong, they might not know better. I know I didn't.
    m2cw

Bike
    2006 Yamaha FZ1
    Region
    Gauteng

Also with agree with above said....When I bought my bike, the first thing they mentioned to me, is that they could include gear into the buying price. The down side is that you are paying it off over "x" months, upside(and this was what was in my head when signing), you don't have to fork out cash on them now, and you drive off with everything on right there and then.

Bike
    TW200 - Nezumi, and a restoration project.
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by Krokenoster View Post
    Also with agree with above said....When I bought my bike, the first thing they mentioned to me, is that they could include gear into the buying price. The down side is that you are paying it off over "x" months, upside(and this was what was in my head when signing), you don't have to fork out cash on them now, and you drive off with everything on right there and then.
    100%
    A dealer should educate riders on the necessary gear! However, in my humble experience, dealers are far more expensive when it comes to gear.
    I would advise anyone buying through them to push for discounts/ price-matching cheaper outlets as a perk f9or buying a motorcycle!
    *** The views expressed in my postings are my own and I will stand defiantly behind them!

Bike
    CBX 250 - Ronin
    Region
    Western Cape

Just read through all the comments and thread

I'm glad to say my gear cost me exactly half what my motorcycle cost me. 100km/h on a superbike, 250cc or even a scooter will give the same results if you fall at that speed.

I can barely drive yet and only get my learners next month but just looking at accidents where people didn't wear gear makes me shudder

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by BloodLeshen View Post
    Just read through all the comments and thread

I'm glad to say my gear cost me exactly half what my motorcycle cost me. 100km/h on a superbike, 250cc or even a scooter will give the same results if you fall at that speed.

I can barely drive yet and only get my learners next month but just looking at accidents where people didn't wear gear makes me shudder
    True what you are saying and great that you read this, but please keep in mind, gear mainly protects against non life threatening injuries. In other words, gear only go so far.