Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those Stupid Squids - Brittany Morrow

Bike
    2001 F650GS "Sonix"
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Those Stupid Squids - Brittany Morrow

Brittany just has a way with words.........

If the Squids were to read this I'm sure alot of them would think twice wouldn't you??

"There’s a term amongst motorcyclists that describes a rider who is either extremely wet behind the ears, rides beyond his/her skill level, wears little to no gear, or is extremely reckless by nature. We call these riders “squids” and the origin is actually somewhat of a controversial subject. Some say it originated on a SoCal racetrack, where the less-skilled and less-experienced riders were called “squirrelly kids”. It later was shortened to just “squids”. Other say it’s an acronym for many different things, one of which being Stupid Quick Underdressed and Imminently Dead. The attitude the motorcycle community has about “squids” is evident when visiting UrbanDictionary.com and reading the definitions. If you are labeled as a squid, it could be for many different reasons – but the most common reason is for doing things that more experienced riders would call STUPID. The next time you see a motorcyclist riding down the road without a helmet, or in shorts and flip-flops – remember my story. Before you write the rider off as an idiot and someone who is destined to be the victim of their own actions, remember that person is someone’s son or daughter, someone’s brother or sister, someone’s mom or dad, someone’s husband or wife, someone’s aunt or uncle, someone’s cousin, someone’s coworker, someone’s true love, someone’s high school crush, someone’s best friend, someone’s neighbor, someone’s only hope for happiness…
    I was one of those “stupid people” who didn’t wear all of my gear. I was worse than a squid, I was the squidly pillion of a squid, but I was also someone’s daughter, sister, wife, cousin, best friend, coworker, high school crush, and neighbor. Don’t be so quick to think that I didn’t wear my gear because I knew what could happen. On the contrary, only a few very unlucky people know the true consequences, the reality of the situation, and the weight that this decision actually carries. I didn’t wear all of my gear because no one had ever shaken me by the shoulders and told me this:
    “If you don’t wear your gear, you will rip off all of your skin. It will hurt like hell for a long time… pain you cannot even imagine. You will rack up over half a million dollars worth of medical bills. You will put your family through the worst experience of their entire lives. Your amazing father, your daddy, will have to leave the hospital room on several occasions because of your screams in pain. Your husband will never come to visit you in the hospital, nor will he call or write to see how you are doing. You will know what it is like to be truly alone for the first time in your life. Your parents will be forced to miss work, lose sleep, drive to the hospital, and fear for your life every day for nearly 2 months. The financial burden on yourself and your family for the next several years will be large. You will lose your job. You will lose your ability to join the military and serve your country. You will lose the ability to walk and move on your own. You will never have beautiful skin again. You will lose all of your beautiful hair. You will spend your mother’s birthday in a hospital gown and a wheelchair. The emotional stress from this accident will affect you until the day you die. You will lose full motion in your knees for the rest of your life and they will be in constant pain. People will stare at you in the gym, in restaurants… hell, people will stare at you everywhere. You will never be fully free of the consequences of this decision. And all of this is what you are choosing when you choose not to wear gear.”
    So, no, I had no idea what I was getting myself into… and neither do many of the riders out there today. This is not common sense, many people never even hear this message. This is where we have failed in the past – we have ALL failed. We shake our heads and move along instead of taking the time to educate the public on the truth. It is so easy to call someone stupid and look the other way, but what would you want someone to do for that rider if they were your son, your daughter, your best friend, your husband or wife, your sister or brother? The list of people you would hope hear this message goes on and on, and yet you choose not to help educate a perfect stranger. Where is the sense in that? When did we become so knowledgeable and special that we didn’t have the responsibility to pass along the all-important message? I sense a great lack of willingness to not only improve ourselves as riders, but to help others improve as well. Get this through your head – our need for learning is never finished.
    I am hell-bent on changing the way riders receive TRUE education about the consequences of riding without proper gear, proper training and proper attitude. By all means, I understand that it’s not just about the gear. However, the subject of gear is where I have a God-given ability to pull back the curtain and show people what the rest of the world is too scared, lazy, or “important” to show riders. Sadly enough, there are more out there who have also been through what I have. I hope you are fortunate enough to have never experienced a crash like mine. Help me keep it that way for yourself, your families, and the riders who you otherwise would shake your head at. If you want things to change, it MUST start with us. I can tell you now that it makes a huge difference, even when you feel as if you’re the only one doing it. Spread the message, lead by example, and change someone’s life"

Bike
    Tiger Triumph 1050
    Region
    Gauteng

Nunique....

THIS portion:

“If you don’t wear your gear, you will rip off all of your skin. It will hurt like hell for a long time… pain you cannot even imagine. You will rack up over half a million dollars worth of medical bills. You will put your family through the worst experience of their entire lives. Your amazing father, your daddy, will have to leave the hospital room on several occasions because of your screams in pain. Your husband will never come to visit you in the hospital, nor will he call or write to see how you are doing. You will know what it is like to be truly alone for the first time in your life. Your parents will be forced to miss work, lose sleep, drive to the hospital, and fear for your life every day for nearly 2 months. The financial burden on yourself and your family for the next several years will be large. You will lose your job. You will lose your ability to join the military and serve your country. You will lose the ability to walk and move on your own. You will never have beautiful skin again. You will lose all of your beautiful hair. You will spend your mother’s birthday in a hospital gown and a wheelchair. The emotional stress from this accident will affect you until the day you die. You will lose full motion in your knees for the rest of your life and they will be in constant pain. People will stare at you in the gym, in restaurants… hell, people will stare at you everywhere. You will never be fully free of the consequences of this decision. And all of this is what you are choosing when you choose not to wear gear.”

SHOULD be on our z-folds we send out....
    I am what I am.
    If you don't like me,
    Turn your head and Walk Away.
    SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

Snow White? Not quite.

Bike
    BMW G310R
    Region
    Gauteng

Too darn true....... how often do we shake our heads and go *tut tut*. The fact of the matter is if you tell someone about atgatt he can hear you or walk away. If walks away, his problem not yours...... if he takes note.... one life saved. Another thing.... we should try to encourage, not sit on a pedastal and preach.
    All comments are my opinion - use it or don't: Unless specified it is not officially endorsed by Think Bike Marshaling

Bike
    06 black 1200S Bandit and 98 red 1200S Bandit
    Region
    Gauteng

That is why ATGATT is important. Many people have often expressed the opinion that TB views ATGATT to be the be-all and end-all of safe riding. It is not, but it is a very important component of the TB campaign for the reasons that Brittany has so eloquently expressed above. The message should be spread along with trying to inculcate safe, conservative, defensive riding into biker's attitudes towards riding
    Maturity is a grossly overrated achievement

I am who I am. Your approval is not required nor desired. Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter

Bike
    Tiger Triumph 1050
    Region
    Gauteng

I propose that this be made a "sticky thread"....Mods??????????? Please?
    I am what I am.
    If you don't like me,
    Turn your head and Walk Away.
    SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

Doesn't suffer fools gladly n3cr0's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1300R, Honda CBR 900 Fireblade, GSX-R750 L1
    Region
    Gauteng
    With a twist of my wrist I cease to be human and become a god of thunder, speed and terror.

Bike
    2001 F650GS "Sonix"
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Dgener8 View Post
    Nunique....

THIS portion:

Full agree with you, to think she sustained the injuries she has due to falling off a bike while being a Pillion, makes me think of the biker we saw who was motoring down the N14 with his pillion barely holding on - granted she did have full gear on, but still a person can only hold for so long.

Bike
    2001 F650GS "Sonix"
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by n3cr0 View Post
    I have more than once!! my daughter has seen it my son will soon be seeing it and everyone I know gets a mouth full about what the consequences are of not wearing the proper gear.

The photos and the story she tells as well on what happened is also pertinent to educating others.

Is there a South African who has lived to tell a story similar to hers?

Bike
    '07 ZX10R
    Region
    Gauteng

Saw a oke on the R59 north at Vereeniging this morning doing about 120 with just a helmet, t-shirt , jeans and sneakers.

Bike
    BMW F650GS, Rose R6, CB400F (ICU)
    Region
    Gauteng

About 2 or 3 weeks ago at Halfway Cuppa a group of riders pitched up with only their Springbok shirts. So when I got the chance I asked this one guy (in front of everybody else and with a smile) where they got those shirts. I too would like some for they seem to be bulletproof. They were not impressed.
    Ride with me, drink with me, party with me, make memories with me, defend our lifestyle with me but whatever else you do, never **** with me. I just did not want you to mistake my jovial nature as a weakness. I AM WHAT I AM - A BIKER BY CHOICE.

Bike
    "Black Beauty" Daytona 955i, "MooseBob" CRF230F, "The Project" XL500S
    Region
    Gauteng

I truly admire her for her strength, perseverance & for the path she has chosen to educate riders about ATGATT.

She states however that it is not common sense for people to know they need ATGATT. So, she's saying that it's not common sense to know that if you fall you will get hurt.

I call BS on that. Everyone has at some stage or another in their lives fallen & gotten a graze. It's not higher grade to extrapolate that into falling onto the tar at high(ish) speeds = a beeeg graze.

What she's actually advocating is that people are too lazy to think for themselves. Therefore we must do it for them. To bring to their attention what their lazy ass attitudes and brains were incapable of doing for themselves. And their lazy ass friends who ride with them. The same people who are against laws designed to protect them from their own stupidity, when they are clearly in need of protecting. Like the bloke who was at an anti-helmet demonstration in the states that fell of his bike, bliksemed his head and died. Had he been wearing a helmet he would have survived......define irony . Like the bloke at Midvaal (the very same bloke who was the topic of a thread that the word CHOP originates from on this forum) who was in full kit minus boots - had stokies on instead. Clearly knew the danger & error of his ways, clearly elected to challenge fate/darwin.

If my 5 year old son has enough EQ to know and ask for ATGATT because if he fell off he would get roasties then why can an adult not? I advocate the freedom of choice here. If I know you I will talk to you about ATGATT, like I did earlier this year with a family member who bought a Vespa. To demonstrate I asked her to lie down in the road & let me drag her by her legs for 10 metres. Point made, she purchased ATGATT.

If I don't know you or have any friend of friend or other connection with you then honestly, your friends can talk to you, or their friends can talk to them so they can talk to you. Half the problem with people not wearing ATGATT is the "big tough man" ego/image problem. Until they cry like a fecking baby when the roasties get scrubbed to get the gravel out. I say "as jy dom is, moet jy kark".

You may think I'm callous, or insensitive or whatever, but 5 years of chatting to strangers about ATGATT has left my somewhat jaded and in complete & utter awe at people's stupidity.

Are we not, once again, back at the "Bikers, THINK" point?
    I was also a strong lad once, long ago........when 2 strokes ruled the world & Texan Plain meant something...........

Evil Biker Scum
    Bike
    100cc Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng

"Squids" are more an American term ... we use the term "Chop" in South Africa..

the Chinese obviously invented the word ..
    [hey Mr Lee pass the squid , chop chop .. ]
    [no problem mr Chan ]

Bike
    2001 F650GS "Sonix"
    Region
    Gauteng

@ Trumpet - fully agree with you on this point - on her blog someone comment (in a much shorter version than yours ;).... ) that if a kid using a skateboard knows to wear some sort of protection (even though some don't) then surely adults can think to do the same.

Point is they don't think of the consequences, they all think that yeah maybe I will fall but it won't be that bad I can handle a few roasties, or like she states often "it won't happen to me" is the mentality that most people walk around with.

Its not just with riding bikes it is with our everyday lifestyles and yes it is a mute point it isn't just Bikers, Think it should rather be "PEOPLE SHOULD THINK, every single on of us Need to start THINKING", and besides thinking we should go a little bit further and think not only of hey I could get hurt but also start thinking about what the consequences will be if I do get hurt, or if in doing what ever stupid thing I'm doing will I hurt someone else?

Biker
    Bike
    BigBoy GPR200 RR
    Region
    Gauteng

@ Trumpet

I think you have it all wrong, its not that i think you are callous or insensitive, just that you aren't giving people the credit they deserve.

My dad disagrees with me on the whole ATGATT idea, he rode for years and only had one pathetic fall, so he doesn't see the point in wearing lots of uncomfortable and incredibly expensive gear for nothing. Its not that hes stupid, in fact, he will always be one of the most intelligent people i know, its just that his reasoning comes from a different perspective to yours.

I think you guys at Think Bike would be alot more successful if you taught people to reason appropriately instead of flaming them or ignoring them

I saw another thread here a little while ago talking about the "idiots" who drive down the emergency lane. I never knew it was a problem until i read that thread. perhaps instead of Flaming people or giving up on them, we should be making an effort in a different way, hang a sign up next to the highway with a brief warning for motorcyclists, not only will bikes notice it, but cagers will too.

There are alot of different ways you can go about helping riders see things from the correct perspective. I think you would probably be surprised at how easy people are to convince once you give them the right seed of thought.

just my 2c

Lightship Captain
    Bike
    Big BMW, Small Yamaha & an old classic BMW
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by hei ew View Post
    "Squids" are more an American term ... we use the term "Chop" in South Africa..

the Chinese obviously invented the word ..
    [hey Mr Lee pass the squid , chop chop .. ]
    [no problem mr Chan ]

Classic!!!!

With extra salt on the rare bits too.
    All my posts are my opinion and not those of TB or TB Marshals or any other sane human

Mexican Slayer
    Bike
    XT660R and Draconia my Motard.
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Dgener8 View Post
    Nunique....

THIS portion:

I never try anything, I just do it >;

Mexican Slayer
    Bike
    XT660R and Draconia my Motard.
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I truly admire her for her strength, perseverance & for the path she has chosen to educate riders about ATGATT.

She states however that it is not common sense for people to know they need ATGATT. So, she's saying that it's not common sense to know that if you fall you will get hurt.

I call BS on that.
    Bearing in mind she has to deal with Americans - less sense in that bunch of squids than we have to endure with our pack of chops
    I never try anything, I just do it >;

Az Dawg

Bike
    Tards and Tarts
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @ Trumpet

I think you have it all wrong, its not that i think you are callous or insensitive, just that you aren't giving people the credit they deserve.

My dad disagrees with me on the whole ATGATT idea, he rode for years and only had one pathetic fall, so he doesn't see the point in wearing lots of uncomfortable and incredibly expensive gear for nothing. Its not that hes stupid, in fact, he will always be one of the most intelligent people i know, its just that his reasoning comes from a different perspective to yours.

I think you guys at Think Bike would be alot more successful if you taught people to reason appropriately instead of flaming them or ignoring them

I saw another thread here a little while ago talking about the "idiots" who drive down the emergency lane. I never knew it was a problem until i read that thread. perhaps instead of Flaming people or giving up on them, we should be making an effort in a different way, hang a sign up next to the highway with a brief warning for motorcyclists, not only will bikes notice it, but cagers will too.

There are alot of different ways you can go about helping riders see things from the correct perspective. I think you would probably be surprised at how easy people are to convince once you give them the right seed of thought.

just my 2c
    Some good points 20yrs ago I was one of those guys in jeans & a T-shirt, on an over modified 1100 too.. on the flip side of that though, 20yrs ago we didn't have half the amount of cars/taxi's etc that we have nowadays.

Bike
    "Black Beauty" Daytona 955i, "MooseBob" CRF230F, "The Project" XL500S
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @ Trumpet

just my 2c
    You make some interesting points .

With regard to ATGATT - your dad's experience is one of the reasons why many people choose not to wear ATGATT - "it will never happen to me" & when he relates his experience to others it validates that reasoning and logic to them. And, to some extent he's right - it MAY never happen. Just like someone who chooses not to wear a safety belt MAY not get injured in a car crash. However stats show that the instances of MAY not/never are far fewer than instances of road rash and flying through the windscreen.

As I stated in my earlier post - I've spent 5 years talking to all sorts of people about ATGATT & the positive reasons for wearing it, and have had some brush offs, some agreement, some "it will never happen to me" and some downright rude responses. I still talk to people about it, however I now "choose" whom I approach & when I approach them. Perhaps I've become a little more circumspect .

Insofar as the emergency lane riding goes. Suffice to say those idiots deserve to be flamed. Why on earth should TB or anyone for that matter need to teach people the rules of the road? Those using the emergency lane must have at the very least a learners license. That means they are fully aware of the fact that what they are doing is illegal. Forget the fact that they are endangering others if you must, that may be the part they've never thought of, however what they are doing is illegal. Full stop. So now not only are us "responsible citizens" being tasked with teaching others about ATGATT, the need for training, proper riding skills, defensive skills etc., we're now also tasked with teaching them the basic rules of the road too?

In this instance the "correct perspective" is riding within the law. There is no other perspective as far as I'm concerned.

Just my 2c
    I was also a strong lad once, long ago........when 2 strokes ruled the world & Texan Plain meant something...........

Bike
    Toadwart - 1200 HD Sporty Custom
    Region
    Gauteng

Agreed Dgener8! Should e in Z-folds. Tx again Nunique for posting something that makes us all think
    Ride without regret - live life the same way