Thread: Return of the 400cc in SA - 2012 ??

Biker
    Bike
    2013 BMW F800GS
    Region
    Free State

Announcement Return of the 400cc in SA - 2012 ??

Hi Peeps,

I was at a Kawasaki dealer the other day who had in their possession a brochure of their current and forthcoming bikes and interestingly they had the ER-4N and Ninja 400 in there. When asked about these he said they coming out next year but had no other details to share. Any word on the truth of this?

Bike
    "Oh my Little Honda 50, she's rapid and she's nifty ..."
    Region
    Gauteng

This will be awesome! 400's still strike me as the perfect capacity for SA roads.

Bike
    TW200 - Nezumi, and a restoration project.
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

A-men! A great size for commuting with enough power to still spit some nails!
    Very cool!
    *** The views expressed in my postings are my own and I will stand defiantly behind them!

Bike
    S1000XR for the fun, ST10 still fun.
    Region
    Gauteng

Well, they tested it in 2011 here : -

Kawasaki Japan Debuts Ninja 400R

KHI
    08/08/2010

Motorcycle Preview Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. launched the new 2011 Ninja 400R, a 400-cc sport-model motorcycle with full fairing, in Japan on August 1st.
    In response to market demand, Kawasaki started selling of the Ninja 400R, a general sport-model with genuine full fairing inherited from the super-sport Ninja series to give it both aggressive styling and refined functional beauty and make it ready for anything from sport riding to touring.
    With its compact and highly rigid diamond-shaped steel frame chassis, the Ninja 400R combines superior riding performance with easy handling.
    Its lightweight and compact liquid-cooled, four-stroke, parallel twin-cylinder DOHC four-valve engine (399 cm3) delivers engine performance that is smooth and powerful at low- and mid-range speeds, while its fuel injection system and three-way catalyzer provides superior environmental performance in conformance with the 2007 Japanese national emissions regulations for motorcycles.
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 400R | Engine
    • The Ninja 400R has a liquid-cooled, four-stroke, parallel twin-cylinder DOHC four-valve engine (399 cm3). The distinctive parallel twin-cylinder engine delivers power characteristics that are powerful at low- and mid-range speeds and respond agilely at high speeds.

• In addition to fuel injection, the Ninja 400R is equipped with sub-throttle valves to optimize intake air. With excellent throttle response and smooth engine performance at normal speeds, it delivers excellent drivability under diverse conditions.

• With its short silencer located under the engine, the Ninja 400R provides a greater concentration of mass and lower center of gravity. Equipped with a built-in three-way catalyzer, it offers superior environmental performance in conformance with the 2007 Japanese national emissions regulations for motorcycles.
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 400R | Chassis
    • With genuine full fairing inherited from the super-sport Ninja line, the Ninja 400R offers aggressive styling and excellent wind protection equally suited to high speeds.

• The Ninja 400R's narrow parallel twin-cylinder engine and compact diamond-shaped steel frame result in a streamlined chassis, making it easy to keep both feet on the ground.

• With dual 300-mm petal disks in front and single 220-mm petal disk in back, the Ninja 400R has front and rear disk brakes to provide excellent braking power and heat dissipation.

• The Ninja 400R's aluminum grab bars may be sharp looking but their shape and positioning also ease fatigue on long rides and make riding with a passenger more convenient.
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 400R | Equipment
    • The Ninja 400R's instrument panel has a multi-function LCD display with a sporty design modeled on racing machines. It is equipped with a digital speedometer, digital bar-style tachometer, fuel gauge, clock, and odometer/trip-meter.

• The Ninja 400R's LED taillights are compact and provide excellent visibility. The rear view is sharp and stylish.

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

On closer inspection, (google) these look EXACTLY like my ER6-N!
    I wonder if there'll be any size difference or f they'll just be detuned/smaller-barrelled ER6s?

Very intersting and I think they'd make GREAT learner bikes with a level-head, they'd let you enjy the bike for a while longer before feeling the need to upgrade!
    *** The views expressed in my postings are my own and I will stand defiantly behind them!

Hooligan Biker
    Bike
    Honda CBX 250, Kawasaki Versys, Ducati Hypermotard 821
    Region
    Gauteng

Yeah they look exactly like the er-6f. Although maybe smaller. I see that rear shock looks smaller in the photo.

Biker
    Bike
    2013 BMW F800GS
    Region
    Free State

Apparently there was hope that the bikes would be released this year already but didn't happen....obviously.
    Seems, albeit small, the chance exists that it may happen but demand doesn't seem to be there to make it financially viable. I would definitely get a 400cc now if I could and not a grey import but actually officially brought into the country.

People start the demand!!

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Seems like my upgrade is in the pipeline ;)

The only kicker is - on the CA site you have the 3...
    250R - $5k - R46K
    400R - $7K ~ R66k
    650R - $8K - R75.5k

There's seems to be VERY little difference between the current 400 and old 650 (ER-6F?) if they're to be believed on that site :/
    So is it worth the R10k saving if all you really lose is power? The 250 is just a little shy of 'enough', so the 400 would be awesome.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

I got an out-the-box but a year old ( 09 registered in late 2010) ER-6N for R56k so no, it's not really worth it if you look around!

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Smellentino View Post
    I got an out-the-box but a year old ( 09 registered in late 2010) ER-6N for R56k so no, it's not really worth it if you look around!
    You can't exactly compare the older naked price to the new faired price.

The '09 and '10 models of the ER-6N was R56k and R64k
    The '09 and '10 models of the ER-6F was R60k and R70k

So if that's accurate, you're basically looking at around R7500 difference between the N and F.

So you'll have 3 options:
    - 400R + R10000 cash
    - ER-6N + R7500 cash
    - ER-6F

A naked version of the 400R for a similar R7500 discount could be awesome ;)
    That would put it around the price of the 250R.

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Agreed, if they price it that low it'll be a deal and a half! I rate they'd clean up a lot!

The ER-4N is mentioned in the original post so here's hoping, and from what everyone's saying about them looking so very similar in size etc it'd be interesting to find out if anyone in Asia/Europe where they're more popular is boring them out to up the capacity!

Bike
    fokol for now
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

I agree would like to see the 400s again, but honestly like their 250s, they will more than likely be limp, personally for me nothing beats the cbr 400 nc23 and 29, had both and loved them.

Most of the smaller "sport bike" are rather flat but I guess that's good, good entry level
    ex's yamaha R6's ,suzuki gsxr 600 ,honda cbr 893 blade ,suzuki hayabusa

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Yeah, I definitely agree with that, good solid learner bikes, bigger in size for bigger riders and less likely to leave guys itching to upgrade in a year!

Bike
    fokol for now
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Yeah I rate too many dealerships are letting noobs get on thousands first off cause they want to make a sale, then wipe the bike and themselves. And let's be honest, noobs want the looks

Ill be buying myself another nc29 next year as a project bike. Love them
    ex's yamaha R6's ,suzuki gsxr 600 ,honda cbr 893 blade ,suzuki hayabusa

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Smellentino View Post
    Agreed, if they price it that low it'll be a deal and a half! I rate they'd clean up a lot!

The ER-4N is mentioned in the original post so here's hoping, and from what everyone's saying about them looking so very similar in size etc it'd be interesting to find out if anyone in Asia/Europe where they're more popular is boring them out to up the capacity!
    ARGH! Missed the ER-4N mention:

If I can get that for the price of a 250R, yes please!

It's still about 30kg heavier than the 250, but man that would be sweet!

Would be the ultimate 'first' bike ;) I still don't get why they dropped 400s in the first place

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by thefugitive View Post
    Yeah I rate too many dealerships are letting noobs get on thousands first off cause they want to make a sale, then wipe the bike and themselves. And let's be honest, noobs want the looks
    There are some stealerships that behave that way, but many others do their best to convice the noobs to get the right bike. At the end of the day though, no-one's going to turn down a fat wedge of money that an idiot insists on spending.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Agreed, I've been inside ECM here in Durbs and seen the salesman frantically trying to convince a guy who was asking how to ride to start out on a 250R and not the ZX6-R he was sitting on!

Biker
    Bike
    2013 BMW F800GS
    Region
    Free State

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    ARGH! Missed the ER-4N mention:

If I can get that for the price of a 250R, yes please!

It's still about 30kg heavier than the 250, but man that would be sweet!

Would be the ultimate 'first' bike ;) I still don't get why they dropped 400s in the first place
    I would definitely buy a new Er-4n if it came our way instead of a similarly priced new bike.
    How cool is that red Kawasaki has that SA just doesn't either?