Thread: Biker down after 1000 Bike show (from 1000 bike show thread)

Twinkle Toes
    Bike
    Triumph 1200 XCa, KTM 1290 Super Adventure S
    Region
    Gauteng

Snip...On a more seriuos note a biker came down at the traffic light turning onto the M2..... Biker ok but shaken, bike damaged but rideable. Thanks to Marshal training Solstice and Myself secured the scene.... Traffic control, debris removal and contacting family of rider. Solstice took rider in van and I rode his bike(with his permission) to his home. If not for ATGATT he would have sustained more serious injuries. Hope he heals up soon( Lekker ROASTIE on his knee and he will have very sore muscles by tomorrow morning).
    Last edited by colyvon; 05-07-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Mexican Slayer
    Bike
    XT660R and Draconia my Motard.
    Region
    Western Cape

to you and Solstice!
    Sad to hear! and hope the rider heals up fast!
    I never try anything, I just do it >;

Twinkle Toes
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Just an update on the rider that went down. He broke both his elbows and came out of surgery yesterday. Healing up at home. Will go and visit him at home. His name is David Meyer.

Smooth bottomed bunny hugger Brendon's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Please send him our best wishes, on behalf of TB

Biker Trash
    Bike
    Honda Africa Twin
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Marius M View Post
    He broke both his elbows.
    Ouch, That will be debilitating,

David - Best of luck wishing for a good recovery

Bike
    2003 VTR FireStorm
    Region
    Gauteng

ok this got me thinking

As a kid i rode my bicycle every single day, rain or shine, once came off at 60 as well, ya i had some serious roasties, but never broke any bones, infact never broken a bone in my life, not a single one!!

What's the deal with bones breaking so easily as you get older? Not sure which topic this was on, but one of the guys said he broke both his wrists at 50km

Would it help if i drank a litre milk everyday???
    Is it the impact that causes this or the age, or not having enough meat/muscle around said bones etc?

Just wondering!!

Bike
    Kawaki "Mouse"
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by LloydRey View Post
    ok this got me thinking

As a kid i rode my bicycle every single day, rain or shine, once came off at 60 as well, ya i had some serious roasties, but never broke any bones, infact never broken a bone in my life, not a single one!!

What's the deal with bones breaking so easily as you get older? Not sure which topic this was on, but one of the guys said he broke both his wrists at 50km

Is it the impact that causes this or the age, or not having enough meat/muscle around said bones etc?

Just wondering!!
    How Can I Keep My Bones Strong?

There are things you should do at any age to prevent weakened bones. Eating foods that are rich in calcium and vitamin D is important. So is including regular weight-bearing exercise in your lifestyle. Those are the best ways to keep your bones strong and healthy.
    Calcium. Getting enough calcium all through your life helps to build and keep strong bones. People over age 50 need 1,200 mg of calcium every day. Foods that are high in calcium are the best source. For example, eat low-fat dairy foods, canned fish with soft bones such as salmon, and some dark-green leafy vegetables. Check the labels on foods like orange juice, breads, and cereals to find those with calcium added.
    If you think you aren’t getting enough calcium in your diet, check with your doctor first. He or she may tell you to try a calcium supplement. Calcium carbonate and calcium citrate are two common forms. You have to be careful though. Too much calcium can cause problems for some people. On most days, you should not get more than 2,500 mg of total calcium. That includes calcium from all sources—foods, drinks, and supplements.
    Vitamin D. Your body uses vitamin D to absorb calcium. Most people’s bodies are able to make enough vitamin D if they are out in the sun without sunscreen for 10 to 15 minutes at least twice a week. You can also get vitamin D from eggs, fatty fish, and cereal and milk fortified with vitamin D. If you think you are not getting enough vitamin D, check with your doctor. Each day you should have:
    • 400 IU (International Units) if you are age 51 to 70
    • 600 IU if you are over age 70
    As with calcium, be careful. More than 2,000 IU of vitamin D each day may cause side effects.
    Exercise. Your bones and muscles will be stronger if you are physically active. Weight-bearing exercises, done three to four times a week, are best for preventing osteoporosis. Walking, jogging, playing tennis, and dancing are examples of weight-bearing exercises. Try some strengthening and balance exercises too. They may help you avoid falls, which could cause a broken bone.
    Medicines. Some common medicines can make bones weaker. These include a type of steroid drug called glucocorticoids used for arthritis and asthma, some antiseizure drugs, certain sleeping pills, treatments for endometriosis, and some cancer drugs. An overactive thyroid gland or using too much thyroid hormone for an underactive thyroid can also be a problem. If you are taking these medicines, talk to your doctor about what you can do to help protect your bones.
    Lifestyle. People who smoke have an increased chance of breaking a bone. For this and many other health reasons, stop smoking. Limit how much alcohol you drink. Too much alcohol can put you at risk for falling and breaking a bone
    "The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age." ~ Lucille Ball
    Aging is inevitable, but looking and feeling old is optional :wink:

Snow White? Not quite.

Bike
    BMW G310R
    Region
    Gauteng

The guy on the bike came down in front of us (we saw it happen) and he came down HARD.... we initially thought that he had hurt only his muscles as he was complaining only about his knees and how sore his one arm was....... not much to protect the bones at the elbows.... (no matter how old you are)
    All comments are my opinion - use it or don't: Unless specified it is not officially endorsed by Think Bike Marshaling

Bike
    Kawaki "Mouse"
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    The guy on the bike came down in front of us (we saw it happen) and he came down HARD.... we initially thought that he had hurt only his muscles as he was complaining only about his knees and how sore his one arm was....... not much to protect the bones at the elbows.... (no matter how old you are)
    This type of fracture is very serious, and if the damage is severe, that occurs is the ability to straighten the elbow joint may be lost
    "The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age." ~ Lucille Ball
    Aging is inevitable, but looking and feeling old is optional :wink:

Bike
    ZEF's
    Region
    Gauteng

eina, hope he heals up soon. Thanks for supporting him

Gem's Guardian Angel Dark Angel's Avatar
    Bike
    None of your business!!!
    Region
    Gauteng

To you and Solstice.

It's an eina one by the sounds of it.
    Heal up soon Dave.
    Don't ride faster than what your guardian angel can fly

Bike
    Baby Zook; Honda CB400
    Region
    Gauteng

Ouch .. Strongs to the rider and a big up to Marius and Sol... truly two people we can always rely on!
    If at first you don't sucseed... Skydiving is not for you!

Bike
    Honda CBR1100xx- Blackbird, Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R,Vuka 150i Scooter
    Region
    Gauteng

ok this got me thinking

Just wondering!!
    You need to ride a HD and you will neever break a bone.

May strain a few muscles though!

But not to worry - at 60km/h and with ATGATT on a HD at top speed - should be okay:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:.
    If you don't have wings - you will never fly

Bike
    Big boy TSR, Regal Raptor Cruiser 350, Honda CD200
    Region
    Limpopo

ok this got me thinking

Just wondering!!
    Me too. As a youngster on the farm I came off quite a few times, with a few scrapes etc.
    In April this year, I hit a pedestrian who ran in front of me at about 30km/h. The result was me sustaining a tibia plateau fracture, which had to be surgically fixed with a plate and screws. I am only now able to start walking and riding my bike again. And I'm only 38 y/o. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was on a Jonway 110 at the time.....
    O ja, and of course the pedestrian had no injuries....

Twinkle Toes
    Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Just a quick update. Spoke to David's wife and he is healing up nicely. Complaining about the pain in his elbows from time to time especialy when friends and work colleagues forget about the eina in the elbows. The doctors equiped him with some pins in the elbows. They thank all for the get well wishes.

Bike
    BMW F650GS; Eurotrac
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Itai View Post
    How Can I Keep My Bones Strong?

There are things you should do at any age to prevent weakened bones. Eating foods that are rich in calcium and vitamin D is important. So is including regular weight-bearing exercise in your lifestyle. Those are the best ways to keep your bones strong and healthy.
    Calcium obtained from animal sources (milk) should be second choice. The associated animal proteins require higher stomach acidity to digest - resulting in a raised body acidity, which tend to leach calcium from the bones, resulting in a net calcium loss. The xxxx ml of milk per day for pregnant women (and others) is mostly commercial fable - most doctors prefer to prescribe calcium supplements rather than an increased consumption of milk.
    Light your flame - Live your passion