Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Helmets

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

So it being 6 or so years after the thread was started, has anybody got new opinions on these Spirit helmets etc? Surely by now we should know if they're good/decent or not?

I'm looking for a new helmet and will probably get a Shark, but if I can get similarly rated (and by that I mean safe) helmet for half the price then I'd obviously do it.

I called AMZ a guuurl and survived! kamza's Avatar
    Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

Have bought two helmets from Spirit, only issue i have had is that most products are found in flea markets and sometimes am skeptical if it is original products, but the two helmets i have had have been good and have lasted me a year each with no issues besides that the first one i bought was too big (newb mistake) , second helmet was a perfect fit and i still wear it when i am able to ride a friends bike or pillion.
    I must say that they do give good feedback when you e-mail them directly and will help you as much as they can, certain product availability is a problem especially with visor replacements (only a few colours available) other than that i am happy with the products i have bought good for commuting just make sure you are ready for rainy and cold day as the visors do fog up quite easily.
    2 Timothy 1: 7For God has not given us the spirit of fear..

Bike
    Hysoung GT650R (sold) Project K6 Suzuki SV1000 (Sold) Jonway 250 cruiser, Suzuki SV650
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm not here

Bike
    NEED TO REPLACE
    Region
    Gauteng

Bud, I have one the "Adventure style " its great value for money, maybe not the best in the world, but I use it for commuting, and Marshaling, so I have on my head for long periods of time. Definitely worth the money.
    Can,t say about the normal but I'm sure just as good

Slip stream king
    Bike
    Honda NC750x & Honda NC750xd
    Region
    Free State

Got a Spirit lid a month ago. Used it down to the Cape and back. Enjoyed it very much, especially the build-in sun visor

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to continue that Counts!

Bike
    Kawa Z300
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm quite happy with mine as well. Got the Xcelerate and only thing I can complain about (although I knew about it going in) is quite a bit more wind noise than before.

Otherwise it's comfortable and feels good. The sun visor is a plus but I found it took some getting used to if you need to check mirrors and blind spot a lot in traffic.

Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng

Tried one out at a shop today (Torque model).

Very light, feels solid, definitely something I'd consider.

Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I'm not sure about all of them, but some of the Spirit helmets I know for a fact are re-branded LS2 helmets and they don't seem to be doing badly in the Sharp tests:
    https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?ma...1&min-rating=4

There is of course no such thing as a free lunch and a helmet is more than its safety rating - they still feel cheap and that includes the padding, visor mechanism, poor ventilation, etc but for the price I reckon you get more than you've paid for.

Given the amount of time we spend in our helmets I'd rather get the safest, most comfortable helmet I can afford.
    "Is it really an adventure if you don't get lost?"

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead: I wont be buying another one.

I have the Xcelerate and while it is acceptable, it is much noisier than any of my cheaper helmets (Sneered at by the Cayenne people, but I recon better in this regard). My sun visor mechanism started breaking shortly after purchase, but I was so ed with their agents that I just left it, it is now a two hand job to get it down.

My fathers touring helmet seems good, but he also complained about it being much noisier than his previous helmets and the extremely poor service we got when we queried this with Spirit directly (Thinking perhaps something might need to just be adjusted or expecting them to simply tell us that is how they are) put me off them completely.

The Xcelerate was their second chance, but it got blown by their agents and quality of the visor.

There are many of them on the road, I see them daily while commuting, so I am sure there are people that are happy with their purchase.

Pros: price, probably cheapest helmet with built in sun visor?
    Cons: Noisy, questionable quality of some parts, Noisy

If this fits best in your budget then it will do the job (Get some earplugs if riding often and long) and you will be supporting a local company.
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

That sums it up nicely. I've bought the FT92 flip up helmet but it was just too noisy for my liking and sold it to a buddy. Said buddy is very happy with it and nothing has broken since.
    I'm now using a BMW System 6 Evo helmet and it's night & day in every way. You do get what you pay for and as I've said, safety may be the most important consideration but it's only one of many.

Bike
    Versys 650
    Region
    Free State

Default Spirit Helmets

Iíve got one of their lids, love the fit, but the sun visor broke and itís very loud, use it now for the short trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    KTM RC390
    Region
    Western Cape

Made the rookie mistake of buying a spirit helmet based on Price.

You get what you pay for. It's rubbish. The foam stuff keeps falling out.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

shame guys, i guess you guys bought lemons, if there is such when it comes to helmets, i have tried many budget helmets and the spirit evotech is the one i would definitely recommend, just ensure it squishes your face when you buy it cause the foam does shrink over time, the only gripe is that the agents never have stock of visors when you need them, so if anyone knows a place where i can get visors around east rand please drop me the details,

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

There you have it. We did a quick study and it shows that 1 out of 5 people are happy with Spirit helmets (Technically 6 since my review included my dads...), but apparently 4 of the five got duds....

Could it be that only 1 out of five spirit helmets are decent?

Still, it should do the job as I said, but get some earplugs to protect your ears.
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    KTM RC390
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    There you have it. We did a quick study and it shows that 1 out of 5 people are happy with Spirit helmets (Technically 6 since my review included my dads...), but apparently 4 of the five got duds....

Could it be that only 1 out of five spirit helmets are decent?

Still, it should do the job as I said, but get some earplugs to protect your ears.

I'll skip the earplugs and save up for a new helmet.

Any reccomendations on alternate brands?

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by dreamz View Post
    I like the Sharks. Had S700 in my sights, I understand this is also somewhat noisey helmet though.

If you have the funds, maybe keep an eye out for specials tomorrow?
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by dreamz View Post
    I'll skip the earplugs and save up for a new helmet.

You should ideally be using ear plugs even with the quietest helmet money can buy.
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...lmet-noise.htm

Bike
    NC750X (Frunkenstein!)
    Region
    Gauteng

Troofs have been spoken.

I have earplugs, havent found ones that are comfortable for me, but I also hate not hearing the gossip....
    Ricers are bikers too!

Bike
    BMW F800GS
    Region
    Gauteng

LOL. I'm really liking the Alpine ear plugs, they have filters so you can still hear what's going on around you.

Bike
    2017 BMW GS1200 LC Trophy
    Region
    Western Cape

I commute daily, dont own a car, I use ear plugs so im not soo bothered by wind noise anyway. But Spirit helmets DO have bad noise issues, not terrible but if you go over 120 you will have issues.
    I had 2 spirits, one with the sun visor one without, had a crash with the sun visor one and it held up just some light scratches. Loved the fact that it had a Double D ring strap.

Own an Arai adventure helmet to, also a great helmet, just a bit weird with the Beak type look and it has no sun visor. But otherwise very comfortable.

Now have the Shark Skwal, only issue I have with the shark is the damn clip buckle, I have the smallest helmet and the clip is moved to the furthest it can go and it still does not feel as snug as a double D ring strap. Thought it would get better when I tried it in the shop and it doesn't. Also barely use the flashing lights system... other than that great helmet
    IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, DRIVE A CAR - ATGATT!