Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirit Helmets

Bike
    Kawasaki ZR750
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Spirit Helmets

These spirit helmets in Cape Town - are they any good? I need them purely for commuting and the odd brekkie run.

http://www.spiritmotorcycles.co.za/i...id=10&Itemid=8

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by psyflex View Post
    These spirit helmets in Cape Town - are they any good? I need them purely for commuting and the odd brekkie run.

Never heard of them.
    Prices look good, but no idea about the quality.
    Four wheels move the Body; Two wheels move the Soul
    Fuelly: CBR600F Ninja 250R

Bike
    The Mighty V-Max 1200
    Region
    Gauteng

They have an SABS stamp so these do not seem to be cheap fly-by-night Fong Kong jobbies.
    The old adage of "Buy the best helmet you can afford" is a good guide
    Won't bow to man. Won't bow to government.
    Won't bow to greed. Won't bow to false hope.
    Won't bow to self. Won't bow to modern code.
    Won't sell my soul to a dead world. I DEFY!
    (The World is a Thorn - Demon Hunter)

Bike
    VFR 400 R
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by psyflex View Post

is it not common to have accidents while comuting & attending the odd brekkie run?

sounds like you are trying to mak an excuse for the helmet??
    if it was me buying, i would look at the AGV helmets, some decent ones from R1500, or the base model sharks or one of the more established brands!
    its difficult to keep living with out a head.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZR750
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Freekazoid View Post
    is it not common to have accidents while comuting & attending the odd brekkie run?

sounds like you are trying to mak an excuse for the helmet??
    if it was me buying, i would look at the AGV helmets, some decent ones from R1500, or the base model sharks or one of the more established brands!
    its difficult to keep living with out a head.
    True...

But I must add - commuting in the platteland you get rush hour traffic that consist of 2 cars and a donkiekar on your 3km ride to work. But ja, you're speaking the truth there...

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by ta2bryan View Post
    They have an SABS stamp so these do not seem to be cheap fly-by-night Fong Kong jobbies.
    The old adage of "Buy the best helmet you can afford" is a good guide
    Agreed. Buy the best helmet you can afford. These helmets have all the right stamps of approval. SABS as well as ECE 22.05 (United Nations Economic Commison for Europe) which is much stricter than SABS and required by 50 countries worldwide.

The problem with South Africa is, how do we know these are real? I would happily buy and wear any helmet with ECE 22.05 approval if I can be sure that it does actually have that stamp of approval and not just a sticker plakked on somewhere in China, or in a warehouse in Jo'ies. These guys however, advertise large on their website that they have the approvals of both the SABS and ECE 22.05. I am not sure that they would say that as openly as that, if it was not true.

In the end, if I did buy a helmet, I would ensure that the ECE 22.05 certification sticker is on it, which these helmets do.

Bike
    Honda VTR1000F / 2009 Yamaha YZF R1
    Region
    Western Cape

I saw this is an Old thread, but I landed on it when searching for info on these Spirit Helmets. I got no Idea if the Sticker is legit or not, but I went ahead and bought myself one today. As far as I could figure out from the Web, these things are manufactured here in SA.

The look and feel quality is not bad at all for the price. I have not ridden with it at high speed yet, but I will update this post later with info as I use the helmet.

If it is any good, and manufactured here in SA, then I think it would be a good thing to support local, but we will have to see.

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Talking

Ok, I did my first ride this afternoon with my spirit helmet. First, I want to put into perspective what I am saying, by indicating what helmets I have been using recently, The Lazer Revolution modular and the VR1 modular. Ok so none of them are high end type helmets, which means I will be easily impressed. :roll:

I must say I did do some AGV (K3) and Shark (S600) fitting (not riding) when I purchased the Spirit. Shark has always been one of the most comfortable and snug fits for me. Except for the D clips not being on the Spirit, the fit felt the same.

When I drove out with it, I though, OK I am chuffed with my purchase so far, so where is the catch. The wind noise is most probably going to be horrifying, or the Visor is going to flip up at high speed. (I fitted the Tinted visor).

And was I even impressed more. The wind noise was much less than in my other two helmets, (OK given, they are both modular), and the visor was perfect. I am impressed even more now, but as I said not much of a high end helmet history on my side. I will keep you posted as I continue using the helmet.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Sounds good.

Have they got a similar chinstrap to the Sharks?

Bike
    EX Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
    Region
    Gauteng

HomerS hope you don't need to find out how that helmet does in a crash but if you do I hope it works well
    Those who lead sometimes falls first.
    None of above comments against non Honda motor cycles is to be taken as serious
    I’m sure there is one or two other makes on the road that has a decent bike out there
    (Hell there might even be a good BMW out there somewhere)

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Sounds good.

Have they got a similar chinstrap to the Sharks?
    The unfortunate thing is that they do have a clip. (I prefer D ring). The clip is not the same as the Shark. The Shark's clip is adjusts as you fasten and tighten it, this one you have to adjust the strap, and the clip only has one setting, in or out.

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    HomerS hope you don't need to find out how that helmet does in a crash but if you do I hope it works well
    Thanks Veneficus. Yes, it is going to be difficult giving you guys feedback with a split skull.

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Cool

I have been using the spirit for the last three days. I travel about 38k's one way each day on the highway. I did some high speed riding (not going to say how fast), and it is holding up awesomely. I have no complaints. It is difficult to compare wind noise, but it is much quieter than the other two helmets I have.

I also dropped an E-mail to Spirit Motorcycles [spirithelmets@yahoo.com], and got a very prompt response from a guy named Julian. I am not sure what position he holds at the company, but he assured me that the certifications on the helmets are legit. He says that he would not be able to sell his products to resellers if he did not prove to them that the certification is in order. (These helmets are all over bike shops in Cape Town, and he is expanding to Joburg).

One of the reasons he is selling the helmets for such a low price, is to get into the market and get his brand known. It is a South-African company. He also said that he did have some requests regarding the D ring straps, and that it will be considered in future models if the demand exists. He is a very easy to reach, and I am sure he will respond to other people just as fast as he did to me.

I really enjoy this helmet, and I am very happy with the purchase. They also have Jackets and Gloves. I might consider looking into those also. For the moment everything is perfect with this helmet. I will keep you posted if there is any change, which I doubt.

Bike
    Honda CBR600F
    Region
    Gauteng

Good to know.

Any idea if there's a reseller in JHB area?

Bike
    Region
    Western Cape

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Good to know.

Any idea if there's a reseller in JHB area?
    Hi Pyro,

The best would be to contact them via their web site.
    http://www.spiritmotorcycles.co.za/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Ite mid=13

Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the comments and concerns about our Spirit motorcycle helmets and thanks for the good feed back as well.
    Please note that Spirit Motorcycle helmets are certified ECE 22.05 products with a unique serial code inside every helmet to prove that it has been certified , in addition to that we have also had our helmets approved by the SABS and Supply a large number of shops with our products in the Cape town and Johannesburg areas including some big names like Yamaha. Our products have been carefully sourced and tested to provide users with ultimate satifaction results and aim to a high standard of quality at very competitive prices.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi Julz,

Welcome to the ThinkBike forum. Nice of you to pop in and tell us about your helmets.

Bike
    Yamaha
    Region
    Western Cape

Thumbs up Spirit Motorcycle Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Hi Julz,

Welcome to the ThinkBike forum. Nice of you to pop in and tell us about your helmets.
    No problem :wink: please let me know if you guys have any more questions concerning our products and i will be happy to answer.

We have a new range of motorcycle accessories coming soon so please keep an eye out for them!

HAPPY RIDING !

Mexican Slayer
    Bike
    XT660R and Draconia my Motard.
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Julz Spirit View Post
    No problem :wink: please let me know if you guys have any more questions concerning our products and i will be happy to answer.

We have a new range of motorcycle accessories coming soon so please keep an eye out for them!

HAPPY RIDING !
    Hi Julz

Happy to see you made your way onto our forum and welcome!
    You have my email addy if you need anything
    I never try anything, I just do it >;

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SmartTart View Post
    Hi Julz

Happy to see you made your way onto our forum and welcome!
    You have my email addy if you need anything
    I reckon he needs a huge pile of DNR's .....

Also, maybe a massive load of bumpers with is company logo ....

What about a banner? Surely his company needs a banner?