Thread: Learning new things all the time

Bike
    Honda CB750K 1981
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Learning new things all the time

Two days ago I experienced first hand what I always knew to be true - if you dont ride your bike, the battery she goes bye bye.

I first noticed it last weekend when I sommer out of desperation started the bike for an idle and a quick turn in the street that it had difficulty getting going. Swinging the motor a few times before it actually jumped into life. I did eventually. If I actually took it riding then, all would have been forgiven. But no, I parked it back in the garage and that was that.

On Wednesday morning I thought that was the day that we will ride again to work. But when I pushed that start button, it swung a few times and then it was just cluck cluck cluck... nothing more. That ruined my day instantly. A sick bike is such a downer.

After phoning HD and confirming its the batery that is throwing a vloer moer, they suggested a trickle charger. Sounds like a good plan, but the budget does not cater for that this month. So plan B was to call good old faithful Turtle and ask for help. As usual, he has the means to help and offered his battery charger for the cause. I picked it up from his house and now Im set to get my hands dirty on my trusty sporty.

But then I realised, I have no idea what Im doing. I can find the + sign easy on the batery with the help of the owners manuel, but what do I do with the -?? ops:

Furstrated and another hour later, I gave up and decided that another call the HD is necessary. Georg from HD (the guy I phone for EVERYTHING at HD TygerValley), was quick to help and guided me where to find a decent bolt with eath wire connected where they usually connect the - terminal of the charger.

Did that, nothing sparked or blew up, so I was happy this was it.

Three hours later I removed the charger, lit the bike up and it was so happy with me again. The relationship was restored.

So this morning (vowing never to leave ol' Sporty alone again), we went to work together after a quick tyre pressure check at the service station - enduring a marathon lane split on the N1, from Bellville non stop untill my turn off at Sable Road. I would have prefered a bit of open road, but beggers cant be choosers, and I have to get ot work.

Thanks Turtle (jys n pel 1000)
    Thanks Georg by HD - jy rock!
    Thanks HD owners manual - always worth having around
    Thanks my Sporty dat nie meer kwaad vir my is nie
    Think Once, Think Twice, Think Bike

Bike
    GL 1800 Goldwing
    Region
    Gauteng

Glad to see that your Sportster is up and running again. These batteries is expensive these days and the Wings (i did not no the HD's also) like to eat them if not been use regularly.

Bike
    Honda CB750K 1981
    Region
    Western Cape

Dankie - ja wat. Klink my stil bikes en batterye meng nie

Bike
    BMW F650CS
    Region
    Eastern Cape

my bike has been standing for 2 weeks straight,getting home to a flat battery,flat rear tyre and lord alone knows what other "fun"

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.”

Grammar Nazi (Wish I was a biker) Buelligan's Avatar
    Bike
    XTaZee
    Region
    Gauteng

Bring up some beach sand to top up the tank

Seriously though, it's not just the not riding that's a problem, cold weather also plays a part. My battery was replaced 2 weeks ago after riding virtually everday.....so battery life was about 3 years, but the cold weather brought the problem to life

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape

A current trainee had the same problem with his 1200 Sporty: left it standing for so long after purchase (before learning how to ride) that an already old battery couldn't even be revived with an Optimate.

If you're going to be storing your bike for long periods then it's very much in your interest to get a decent trickle charger (and also consider exhaust bungs, cover etc.).
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Bike
    BMW F650CS
    Region
    Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Buelligan View Post
    Bring up some beach sand to top up the tank

Seriously though, it's not just the not riding that's a problem, cold weather also plays a part. My battery was replaced 2 weeks ago after riding virtually everday.....so battery life was about 3 years, but the cold weather brought the problem to life
    firstly...Buelligan,no sand in the tank for me thanks...filled up last time i visited JHB.
    thinking some seawater for those leaky fork seals,maybe a seaweed wrap?

Secondly,also had a bike battery in daily use die on me,deteriorated slowly,stuck my ctek charger on it,started once and never again...bought a new battery and a week later the bike developed a damn bearing knock...brand new battery is probably stone dead by now

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.”

Bike
    Honda CB750K 1981
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Banditman View Post
    A current trainee had the same problem with his 1200 Sporty: left it standing for so long after purchase (before learning how to ride) that an already old battery couldn't even be revived with an Optimate.

If you're going to be storing your bike for long periods then it's very much in your interest to get a decent trickle charger (and also consider exhaust bungs, cover etc.).
    Banditman, can you please explain the exhaust bungs and what the etc means? This is worth while info for preserving the bike for that storage time.