the trail, safety, start point etc.....
    Can any1 help please? Would be much appreciated
    Ciao

Bike
    YZ250F and Gas Gas EC 300 Nambotin
    Region
    Gauteng

Howzit bud!

Welcome to the "dirty" side of biking!! You havent made a mistake ... its the best fun you will ever have with your clothes on!

How long you been riding and where all have you ridden so far?

I see you are keen to ride Maraisburg... I ride there often so I can offer you a bit of advise and if you are keen you are more than welcome to join us for a ride there also. Maraisburg is an awesome place to ride, specially after it has rained as there isnt much dust and the traction is unbelievable.

We usually ride from the Total garage in Main Reef road, you will find that some guys tend to do the "Uncle Harry's" run for breakfast and some guys tend to rather play on the dunes and in the 2 bowls. My suggestion to you is if you are going there for the first time is to try hook up with guys who know the route / trails as you can get very lost there. Maraisburg can be as hard or easy as you want it to be. There are some awesome climbs (Handle Bar Hill being one of them) and there are some rocky sections at the back of the quarry which is also pretty good. There are some water crossings and some mud also. One of the things to be aware of is the wash aways from all the rain we have had, there are some huge bike swollowing lurkers there!

Here are some pics from in and around Maraisburg, and as I said, you are more than welcome to join us for a ride there.

04122010(004).jpg04122010(019).jpg08012011(005).jpg08012011(004).jpg08012011(006).jpg

10072010(009).jpg10072010(019).jpg20112010(006).jpg20112010(019).jpgmarais.jpg

marais_1.jpgmarais_2.jpgMB003.jpgMB007.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '09 YZ 250 F
    '11 Gas Gas EC 300 Nambotin

Lurker
    Bike
    '02 RM 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Talking

Hi thanks for the info!!
    Firstly, I would rather do I trail like you said to uncle harry's, but
    Are there fuel stops along coz I dunno if my standard 8L tank will do 50kms??
    I usually ride trails in Midrand with my cousin to rietvlei dam and surrounds and also through
    To kempton park area but none was 50km I don't think..... Hard to judge
    How far we've gone as we spend time playin around in areas that allows etc.

Secondly, I used to ride when I was younger, but only got my **** back on the 2smokes
    About 6months ago. I've still got lots to learn obviously but I can at least stay on the
    Monster most of the time and don't have to kick it alive at every obstacle....
    I go riding almost every weekend as this ' gogga' bit me good and I'm loving it!!!

My cousin is still a bit wary on his rm as he only got it in Nov last year and
    Its the first bike he ever rode so still a bit wary but no lack of guts there....

How often do youguys ride out there and would you mind 2 slow(er) coaches joining the
    pack?
    Thanks again for the info!!!!

Lurker
    Bike
    '02 RM 250
    Region
    Gauteng

Talking

Hi thanks for the info!!
    Firstly, I would rather do I trail like you said to uncle harry's, but
    Are there fuel stops along coz I dunno if my standard 8L tank will do 50kms??
    I usually ride trails in Midrand with my cousin to rietvlei dam and surrounds and also through
    To kempton park area but none was 50km I don't think..... Hard to judge
    How far we've gone as we spend time playin around in areas that allows etc.

Secondly, I used to ride when I was younger, but only got my **** back on the 2smokes
    About 6months ago. I've still got lots to learn obviously but I can at least stay on the
    Monster most of the time and don't have to kick it alive at every obstacle....
    I go riding almost every weekend as this ' gogga' bit me good and I'm loving it!!!

My cousin is still a bit wary on his rm as he only got it in Nov last year and
    Its the first bike he ever rode so still a bit wary but no lack of guts there....

How often do youguys ride out there and would you mind 2 slow(er) coaches joining the
    pack?
    Thanks again for the info!!!! O and the pics makes me wanna call
    A sicky and go there NOW!!!!

Bike
    YZ250F and Gas Gas EC 300 Nambotin
    Region
    Gauteng

Hahahaha ... no worries, just a word of caution tho - if you do decide to do Uncle Harry's, its a long day in the saddle, and fitness does count. Well, for me it is anyways. There arent any fuel stops along the way but you should make Uncle Harry's easily and you can fill up there again for your return ride. Depending on your route, the whole trip is anywhere between 85 and 95 km's. If I do the Uncle Harry's run I usually fill up there (probably 3 or 4 litre's) ... My YZ and GG both have 8L tanks so you should make it pretty easily.

I ride every weekend also (when I am home - I am what they call oil field trash) and its usually Saturdays as the "handbrake" can sleep late that day or go shopping or whatever she decides to do with our daughter. We usually ride Maraisburg, Wild West (out near Haarties), De Wildt, Arrows (out near Haarties also), then there is a trail we ride from Alberton to the Boswel Wilkie Circus on the R59 and there is also a route that we ride from Alberton to Grassmere and get to play in the koppies in Walkerville (I stay out on the West Rand).

You guys are more than welcome to ride with us anytime. I arrive back in SA on Thursday and already Carl has been emailing me to do Maraisburg this saturday morning. We arent break neck riders and go at full taps. We are more old toppies than anything else and just enjoy being out in the bush and riding. Yes, once bitten by the offroad bug, you are in it up to your eyesballs!
    '09 YZ 250 F
    '11 Gas Gas EC 300 Nambotin

Biker
    Bike
    Puzey mxr supermoto
    Region
    Gauteng

anyone riding this weekend