Thread: Where can I get electrolyte?

Bike
    Ayesha the ZZR
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Where can I get electrolyte?

Hey all,

Just bought a new Super Yoko battery for my baby and it needs electrolyte - not a new-fangled sealed pop in and go model unfortunately. Will a speedy/battery centre have some? Full Throttle maybe? By the time I got home and realised it needed filling, they were already closed
    He will never die until all he touched also dies - thanks for all you did Bucc.

Bike
    Broom with 2 brothers "B King" and a blue one
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by camperman View Post
    Hey all,

needs electrolyte -
    1. What is a Wet Cell Battery?
    2. Wet cell batteries were created in 1836 by John Frederic Daniell. The creating of the wet cell battery was one of the first types of modern batteries to be developed. The first was fragile and immobile, but thanks to many years of modifications, the wet cell battery has become one of the most common batteries in use today.

In simple terms a wet cell battery derives its power from chemical reactions. There are two types of wet cell batteries: primary and secondary. A primary wet cell battery can only be used until its chemicals no longer react with each other. And a secondary wet cell battery can be recharged. A car battery is a great example of a secondary wet cell battery because it is recharged by using the car's alternator.How do Wet Cell Batteries Work?
    3. A lead acid battery is a secondary wet cell battery that contains lead, lead oxide, plates and an electrolyte solution that contains a mixture of water and acid. The plates in this type of wet cell battery can be anodes that are attached to a negative battery terminal or cathodes attached to a positive battery terminal. To operate the battery a load is attached to the terminals and a chemical reaction between the electrolyte solution, lead, and lead oxide. The chemical reaction causes electricity to flow through the terminals to the load attached. Some of the acid in the battery remains on the plates as it flows through. When the battery is recharged the acid is returned to the liquid solution to provide more power later.How long do Wet Cell Batteries Last?
    4. After time, the bits of acid that have been bonded to the plates begins to flake off during normal use of the battery. This leaves less acid that can be transferred back to the electrolyte solution and results in the battery having less power. Heat, vibration and overcharging will also deplete the battery's power.

Read more: How Does a Wet Cell Battery Work? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4930492...#ixzz17trQeysM

Bike
    Ayesha the ZZR
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Swanster View Post
    [*]A lead acid battery is a secondary wet cell battery that contains lead, lead oxide, plates and an electrolyte solution that contains a mixture of water and acid.
    Yup - except this one doesn't have any electrolyte in it yet. It's completely empty. Know where I could get some dilute sulphuric acid at the correct specific gravity?
    He will never die until all he touched also dies - thanks for all you did Bucc.

Doesn't suffer fools gladly n3cr0's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1300R, Honda CBR 900 Fireblade, GSX-R750 L1
    Region
    Gauteng

Is there a reason why you didn't buy a sealed battery?

My bike finishes a battery in about six months and I am looking for an alternative.
    With a twist of my wrist I cease to be human and become a god of thunder, speed and terror.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

"Battery Water" should be available from any Battery Centre, Spares Shop, Garage and even some Pharmacies.

Doesn't suffer fools gladly n3cr0's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1300R, Honda CBR 900 Fireblade, GSX-R750 L1
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    "Battery Water" should be available from any Battery Centre, Spares Shop, Garage and even some Pharmacies.
    Is battery water just distilled water or does it have stuff added to it.
    What will happen if I drink it?
    With a twist of my wrist I cease to be human and become a god of thunder, speed and terror.

Bike
    Broom with 2 brothers "B King" and a blue one
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    As I understand it is not the standard top up water but must be some grade of Acid dilution
    electrolyte solution that contains a mixture of water and acid
    Thats why I posted the part to make sure you do not rune a new battery

Normal "battery water" as availible at most Garages is just distiled water

OOM BMW-fan aka ****
    Bike
    BMW 1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Just go to any spares shop and ask for battery acid, it is the right mix, you can just fill up to the max line on the battery
    Shyt happens, get over it

Slow Searcher
    Bike
    Triumph Sprint GT 1050 Ver2.0 (Guiliana)
    Region
    Gauteng

If you walk into a shop and ask for battery water, then that's exactly what you will get. It is a distilled water, where all minerals and heavy stuff has been removed. It is used only for topping up batteries that are a bit low. Do not go down to your local fuel station and use the little bottle marked "BATTERY WATER" on the rack next to the pump as it is plain tap water and will mess your battery up in no time.

If your battery is empty then you will need electrolyte (battery acid) which can be aquired at any motors spares shop. It will be the correct PH too, but you may need to first give the battery a boost with a charger before using for the first time.

If you battle to get battery water, just catch some rain water and filter for any solids that the wind might have blown in and it will be fine.

Bike
    GSX-R 1000 L0 - current, Busa Rizla - 2005 sold
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by camperman View Post
    Yup - except this one doesn't have any electrolyte in it yet. It's completely empty. Know where I could get some dilute sulphuric acid at the correct specific gravity?
    Why don't you use distillate water? that what you should use to fill up batteries.
    Busa The only bike which spins Earth backwards

OOM BMW-fan aka ****
    Bike
    BMW 1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by simbarsa1225 View Post
    Why don't you use distillate water? that what you should use to fill up batteries.
    Sorry Simba, but you are wrong. Battery without acid, only water, is just that, a container filled with water.
    Shyt happens, get over it

Smooth bottomed bunny hugger Brendon's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Gert View Post
    Sorry Simba, but you are wrong. Battery without acid, only water, is just that, a container filled with water.

Have a "minora" sir!!

Oops, erm... I mean... Damn, but you are a mean sarcastic baaaaa-stid... Have you no shame?!? :evil:

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Gert View Post
    My mistake - did not see that his battery is empty.
    But I am sure one must add destillate water somewhere - just having acid won't work for long.

Smooth bottomed bunny hugger Brendon's Avatar
    Bike
    Bikeless
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by simbarsa1225 View Post
    My mistake - did not see that his battery is empty.
    But I am sure one must add destillate water somewhere - just having acid won't work for long.
    The "acid" he is referring to is actually an acid solution (acid and distilled water). Acid by itself will do absolutely nothing (Think back to School Science, "pure" acid will burn our skin because of the water content in our bodies, but does nothing to a piece of metal. Add acid to water, and that solution will "eat" metal).

Water evaporates far quicker than the acid (if acid even evaporates at all, can't recall that far back into my school days), which results in the solution in the battery becoming too acidic. Adding distilled water back up to the "full" mark restores the correct solution again for optimum operation of the battery.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
    The "acid" he is referring to is actually an acid solution (acid and distilled water). Acid by itself will do absolutely nothing (Think back to School Science, "pure" acid will burn our skin because of the water content in our bodies, but does nothing to a piece of metal. Add acid to water, and that solution will "eat" metal).

Water evaporates far quicker than the acid (if acid even evaporates at all, can't recall that far back into my school days), which results in the solution in the battery becoming too acidic. Adding distilled water back up to the "full" mark restores the correct solution again for optimum operation of the battery.
    thank you Brendon.