Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinkbike members/forum members riding on the shoulder

Bike
    Fireblade
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Thinkbike members/forum members riding on the shoulder

Hi guys

I just wanted to know if anyone here thinks that riding on the right shoulder of the highway (over the white line - very illegal) is a good idea or not.

I have seen numerous guys in peak traffic on the N1 north and southbound between malibongwe and rivonia rd and a few of them even have TB stickers and bibs/vest while doing this.
    I have an issue with this because the speeds that they travel are way too dangerous and if some half asleep cager had to see them at the last second, would porbably swerve left to give them some room, that cager mite take out the rider on his left that is lane splitting.

I think this habit should be frowned upon by all TB members. Any thoughts?

Bike
    ǝʞıqɹoʇoɯ
    Region
    Gauteng

Agree, as with riding in the left emergency lane.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari

Bike
    BMW F650GS
    Region
    Western Cape

It's the emergency lane and any vehicle could pull over at any time.
    It's no less dangerous but between the cars in the middle lane is where I'd expect you to be when I'm in a cage...:roll:
    Lost it down the highway.
    Down the dotted line.
    You were going your way.
    I was going mine.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by madDog View Post
    I think this habit should be frowned upon by all TB members. Any thoughts?
    Agreed. It is not only illegal, it is also stupid and dangerous.

Bike
    Penny Farthing + Z 1000 2010
    Region
    Gauteng

honestly i don't have an issue with them riding there, but as long as you are cautious and responsible, please go ahead and be safe.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf View Post
    honestly i don't have an issue with them riding there, but as long as you are cautious and responsible, please go ahead and be safe.
    Riding in either the emergency lane or the right shoulder is neither cautious nor responsible....there are far too many things that can go wrong in an instant besides the fact that you are riding on a part of the road that you are specifically prohibited from being on :roll:

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

How can it be cautious and responsible of you are breaking the law? :roll:

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

i hear you splat, but if those that are carefull or think they feel more safe ride there, who am i or you for that matter to tell them get away from the shoulder. So once again, if you think or prefer to ride there for now, be safe.

some take more chances than others, some lean more into corners than others, some got bigger bikes than other, it's still your choice, whether the law or the road sign says don't. You cannot changes everyones minds, but again i personally don't have an issue with it.

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

oh AMZ, maybe you should have become a traffic officer... geez man as if no one on this forum had ever not break the law. Whether a big or small break.

I don't say it's right, but hey if you feel comfortable riding on the shoulder, be IT.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

..., who am i or you for that matter to tell them get away from the shoulder.
    You are the ThinkBike Awareness Campaign. You promote safe riding and guide away from unsafe and illegal riding. You are TB Education. You educate and teach. That is why you can and should tell someone if they are in the wrong. If you fee.l you cannot tell someone not to ride on the shoulder, how can you tell him to wear Atgatt, or a helmet?

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

as i have indicated AMZ, you can tell and teach, but only those who wants to listen will change their own minds, the point is that many things that TB says and stands for might not always be seen the way you see it, but someone might look at it from another angle and feels that riding on the shoulder is a better bet for him/her.

If you ride on the N1north/south or Ben schoeman, everyday although cars do make way for you, maybe some the guys/gals are still new and feel safer due to not properly lane splitting. Those that charge down the shoulder, maybe feels at ease doing so.

I will teach and tell someone if he or she is wrong. I have used the shoulder myself and i was relaxed and just cruising down the lane, and honestly i felt def. saver, saver in the sense of not that close to a cage.

you will always get the odd ones who really don't give a shyte about the law, but if he/she gets caught they will have to deal with it.

Bike
    R1200RT(81kw) & Silverback Alpine (2 x legpower)
    Region
    Gauteng

In my idea riding in the emergency lane is a bad idea. If someone has to pull over they will be checking behind them and not looking at being overtaken (undertaken?) by a faster vehicle in the emergency lane itself!
    You also set a precedent where all the cagers that are in a hurry think its OK to drive in this lane, taxis & others. And it's not legal.

When splitting on the N1 South between Rivonia and William Nichol a few months back, I was between the last and adjacent lane, when a superbike came belting down the RHS emergency lane at least twice the speed of the vehicles next to him. The guy I was about to split past got a huge fright and puilled left, almost taking me out in the process. Just another reason not to ride there!
    https://forum.thinkbike.co.za/signat...pic6115_11.gif Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Slow Searcher
    Bike
    Triumph Sprint GT 1050 Ver2.0 (Guiliana)
    Region
    Gauteng

Unfortunately this is not only limited to the shoulders.

I have been down the N1 north from the Brackfontein interchange towards Pietersburg, and often bikers come down in he right hand lanes that have been closed to traffic for construction puposes.

Those lanes are usually littered with stones, pieces of concete and whatever else, and then these guys come tearing down there. I would hate to know what will happen if they hit any of that rubbish.

I agree, it's totally irresponsible and unsafe, as I myself don't often check for bikers come down the emergency lane when I'm in the far left lane. I usually look back down the white line to see if someone is lane spliiting behind.

Bike
    Yamaha Dragstar
    Region
    Gauteng

I do travel the M1-North-South daily and always believe in exercising caution at all time. Truth be told, lane splitting is better AND most importantly EXPECTED by the motorists.

"Consider this: Blame never affirms, it assaults. Blame never restores, it wounds. Blame never solves, it complicates. Blame never unites, it separates. Blame never smiles, it frowns. Blame never forgives, it rejects. Blame never forgives, it remembers. Blame never builds, it destroys."

Bike
    2006 BMW F 650GS, 2003 Honda VTX 1800
    Region
    Gauteng

I saw a guy riding there, and a cage accidentally blocking him, because the cage was looking out to his left, and not his right .... and the biker giving him the finger for blocking him. That I did not approve of. The cagers aren't used to looking out for bikers on the right side (over the white line).
    1) Everyone smiles in the same language.

2) Life is too short for traffic. ~Dan Bellack

Bike
    S1000RR/Speed Triple +
    Region
    Gauteng

There is a war brewing between cagers and bikers. As usual there are few a-holes on each side that are stirring all the kark.

If a biker rides in the emergency lane or construction lane it is plane WRONG, whether that rider is a noob or not. Lane split like the rest of us and stop making kark for the rest of us.

It's those a-hole bikers that f*** the cagers off that then try run me over when I'm following the rules. Had some dip-sh1t try it yesterday. Guaranteed some monkey on a bike had a run in with him once upon a time, and now I'm his target :evil:

Don't do it. It's WRONG WRONG WRONG

Bike
    Region
    Gauteng

all i'm saying is that some bikers will not change their minds, safety is the number one priority, but i also think just as some bikers do have a bad attitude, jst as much cagers hate bikers for no reason, some just don't like us, maybe because of the bad traffic and here you come lane splitting.

but in general there are alot of taxis doing worse things, yes i know it about bikers...

OOM BMW-fan aka ****
    Bike
    BMW 1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    There is a war brewing between cagers and bikers. As usual there are few a-holes on each side that are stirring all the kark.

If a biker rides in the emergency lane or construction lane it is plane WRONG, whether that rider is a noob or not. Lane split like the rest of us and stop making kark for the rest of us.

It's those a-hole bikers that f*** the cagers off that then try run me over when I'm following the rules. Had some dip-sh1t try it yesterday. Guaranteed some monkey on a bike had a run in with him once upon a time, and now I'm his target :evil:

Don't do it. It's WRONG WRONG WRONG
    What he said
    Shyt happens, get over it

Bike
    S1000RR/Speed Triple +
    Region
    Gauteng

Wolf, what I'm saying is that we all need to be seen doing the right thing all the time. We need to get the image of the biker up, and this means all of us, by everything that we do on the bike. If there are bikers on the forum that use the emergency lane and/or construction lane, they should stop doing so, because they are bring the rest of us down, and making targets of us.

I have room for improvement too. I need to check my speed, but if we all try, then those cagers that call us reckless will have their own kind turn against them. Maybe it's pie in the sky, but we gotta do something.

As an aside, on the whole I find that mini-bus taxi's are more considerate that most cagers. Maybe it's just the taxi's on my commute.

Bike
    2006 BMW F 650GS, 2003 Honda VTX 1800
    Region
    Gauteng

I agree with Tintin.

Also, I try to be as friendly as possible. Just like cagers, we also get frustrated - I know I do. I also have my bad days.
    I try to stay focused, and give the cagers right of way. No use in argueing or fighting. Expect the cagers not to see you. And always smile and wave. Be polite.

This way we may just build a good name out there.
    1) Everyone smiles in the same language.

2) Life is too short for traffic. ~Dan Bellack