Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda E-storm 125

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Default Honda E-storm 125

Hi guys,

I've just joined thinkbike today. I am thinking of getting a Honda E-storm 125 (can't afford more than R15k and want to get a decent name) to commute to work in Cape Town which will involve a 10 minute stint on the highway and was wondering:

1) How safe is a 125 on the highway?
    2) Is a 125cc legal on the highway?
    3) Can I ride a 125cc on the highway with a learner's licence?

Hope someone can advise?

Thanks, Jasonr

Bike
    Honda Hornet 600
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by jasonr View Post

Welcome!

1: Stick to the slow lane and you will be mostly safe, I see people commuting on their scooters on the highway
    2:Yes(If you read your learners book it states nothing below 50cc is allowed on the highway I think)
    3:Yes (Someone please confirm..)

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks Loc144

Bike
    grxr750/cbr250
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi And welcome
    And yes I think you are safe to go on highways, except where it is prohibited by a sign

This associate is depriving a village somewhere of an Idiot

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks dhenning - it's only a small stretch (12k) and I've not seen any signs

Bike
    Honda E-Storm
    Region
    Western Cape

All i can say is that the e-storm is an excellent commuter! my 2c,if u can,or know someone who can help you.do the services urself.i think honda asks like r800 or something silly.all they basically do is change the oil and tighten the chain.that takes 30mins.if u nd any info feel free to pm me Ohya.i think the signs that limit small bikes are usually in areas like on bridges where there are those metal girder things in the road.they are afraid that because of the thin tyres u might fall. When u get ur full licence,just make sure u rent a bike thats bigger than 125cc. like a 150cc-250cc or something.if u pass with a 125 ur limited to only being allowed to ride 125 and smaller.

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks Heftycrab - that's excellent advice - I was thinking about learning to do my own maintenence as well. I might take you up on your offer! A driving instructor I have met (and has been very helpful) has also advised that I take the test on his 250 for the same reason.

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks Heftycrab - that's excellent advice - I was thinking about learning to do my own maintenence as well.
    It is a good idea to learn to do the maintenance yourself. Just keep in mind that, contrary to popular belief, a service is not just the oil change and adjusting of the chain. There is a whole list of stuff that needs checking, lubricating, adjusting and replacement if required. So, if you do the services yourself, get in the habit of working through the service items list for that particular service. If you do that, self maintenance can be fun and rewarding and not jump up and bite you at a later stage.

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks AMZ - are there any help guides out there (for a complete novice like me!) that take you through the process?
    PS. I've just bought the bike this morning and will pick it up next week

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Thanks AMZ - are there any help guides out there (for a complete novice like me!) that take you through the process?
    PS. I've just bought the bike this morning and will pick it up next week
    Congrats. I hope you have oodles of fun and many safe miles.

If you bought it new you'd het a service booklet with service schedule with the bike. The booklet doesn't contain much infor on th ehow, but will explain the maintenance schedule nicely. Surf the net (Google) for more info. You may even find a workshop manual.

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Will do, thanks. If I find anyhting I'll let you know.

Portly Geriatric Support Tripper's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6 Fazer, Kymco XCiting 500i
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi guys,

I've just joined thinkbike today. I am thinking of getting a Honda E-storm 125 (can't afford more than R15k and want to get a decent name) to commute to work in Cape Town which will involve a 10 minute stint on the highway and was wondering:

Hope someone can advise?

Thanks, Jasonr
    Jasonr, welcome to Think Bike and congrats with your new wheels. I hope you will have many safe miles together.

I want to get back to your original questions, which I feel need more discussion.

A 125 is legally allowed on highways unless specifically prohibited by way of a posted sign (as in the case of certain portions of the M1 in Johannesburg).

However, most 125s can't maintain much more than 90 - 110 km/h, which is considerably slower than the rest of the traffic. This creates the risk of being rear-ended by an inattentive driver. If you can avoid the highway, rather do so. It is (at the very least) extremely disconcerting to have cars whizzing past you at 30+ km/h faster. If you can't avoid the highway, keep a close watch on the traffic behind you.

As far as I know it is not legal to ride on a highway with a learner's license (irrespective of your bike's engine size).

My opinion is that riding on a highway with a 125 is neither safe nor prudent, and if you don't have a full license, it is illegal to boot. Therefore I would advise that you avoid the highway if at all possible.
    All bikes bring happiness.
    Some by being collected, and some by being returned.

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Hi Tripper,
    Thanks for the advice. I will have to use the highway for a short stint (even if only once I've got my full licence) but take your points very seriously. I will do everything I possibly can to stay safe, drawing on the wisdom of more seasoned bikers than myself!

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

I can't find anything in the National Road Safety Act that prohibits driving/riding in a Freeway with only a learner's license. Obviously, the fact that I can't fin dit doesn't mean it is not there, but if memory serves you can drive/ride on a Freeway with a learners license. If not, most of us broke the law frequently. Here is the Act's prohabitions:

National Road Traffic Act, 1996
    National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
    Chapter X : Rules of the road and matters relating thereto
    Part I : Rules of the road
    323. Special provisions relating to freeways

1)No person shall operate on a freeway –
    a)a vehicle drawn by an animal;
    b)a pedal cycle;
    c)a motor cycle having an engine with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimetres or which is propelled by electrical power or which is a vehicle as contemplated in paragraph (b) of the definition of motor vehicle in the Act;
    d)a motor tricycle or motor quadrucycle;
    e)a vehicle with a mass not exceeding 230 kilograms and specially designed, constructed or adapted for the use of a person suffering from a physical defect or disability; or
    f)a tractor.

Although I would not go as far as Tripper in stating that you should never ride on a freeway with a 125, I would agree with him that it could be a problem because you will be quite a bit slower than the surrounding traffic, therefore, if you do ride the freeway, be extremely aware of your surroundings and make really good friends with your mirrors. Also, buy a reflective bib soonest.

Bike
    Honda E-Storm
    Region
    Western Cape

Hey. AMZ is correct with the services.theres a little schedule in the bike manual.and theres a few pages that shows how to do things like change oil,tighten chain,adjust valves etc.the manual shows a schedule 4 when to service oil.chain.valves.bearings etc.the only diff is in the manual it says service intervals at 1000.4000.8000.12000.but honda tells u (shows in their service booklet) that u should do 1000km.3000km.6000km.9000km.12000.ie every 3000km vs the 4000km from the manual. the forum has good tips for chain maintanence,changing oil,running in the engine and others.u can use the search function 2 find it.

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Thanks for the advice AMZ - I've already got my reflective jacket!
    I'll work through the manual when it is time for my first service with the help of Google, the Thinkbike forum and a couple of biker friends! Thanks Heftycrab

Bike
    F800GT
    Region
    Western Cape

welcome Jasonr. let me break it down 4 u. a 125cc on the freeway means that u r dependant on other drivers around you for your own safety, simply cos u dont have the power to get you out of a boxed in situation. It happened to me too many times on a 200cc. Also you are riding your bike topend mostly, which can never be good for it and depending on distance,downright bad for the motor. I would urge you to enjoy your bike, but to upgrade as soon as u feel able. I found that because i have the grunt, I have no need to showboat. the power is simply there when I need it. You would certainly feel more relaxed with a bit more under ur legs, specially on a freeway. safe riding
    When LIfe Becomes Pedestrian, It's Time To Ride!!!

Bike
    Honda E-Storm 125
    Region
    Western Cape

Hi Yazed. I totally agree. For now, this bike fits my budget perfectly (a 250 doubles/triples the price!). I will probably sit on 80 or 90kph and then just use that extra bit if I need it. What do you ride now?

SwanieSwanepoel

welcome

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit 650
    Region
    Gauteng

Hi
    I agree with Yazed. I think that the e-storm should not be ridden on a highway. I regularly take my 18 yo son and his frends on rides. One of his friends has on e-storm. From personal experience the e-storm battles to maintain 80kmph on up hills. Other traffic gets frustrated and pushes past often dangerously. At sea level things may be a bit better. I would seriousl look at the Bajaj Pulser 180. Tey would be much safer on the highway. As far as I know they are about R15k new or nearly new.
    By the way. Cayene Honda were selleng new e-storms for R9.800 recently. It may be worthwile giving them a call even if you are in the Cape.