Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Honda CB750k

Bike
    1980 Honda CB750k, 1986 Yamaha YF60; One souped up 66cc Tandem
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Default 1980 Honda CB750k

I got this bike in February and i have at last managed to ge the paperwork sorted out. found out it was last registered in someones name in 2006... after being a little upset with the guy i bought the thing from i decided that it is my fault (trusting is good but checking is better) and i carried on.

so in the meantime i have been tinkering a little cleaning carbs, replacing o-rings and the like. i'm currently busy cleaning all the contacts on the wiring loom. the bike does not run and it seems like an electrical issue, i have tested the altenator/stator system with a multimeter and there does not seem to be any shorts or anything like that, need to get it running though to be sure that the thing actually charges propperly. decided that 30 years worth dirt is going to hamper the conductivity on an electrical system that is the bain on these bikes. lets see. hope to get it running before i make it nice.

i posted some progress pics here: http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?na...er=asc&start=0 and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/5101575...7624282081482/(admins i hope its ok to post links??)

easier to keep it updated in one place than on seven...

was initially thinking of chopping the bike, but now i'm leaning to reatoring it, maybe i'll find a midway...

Name:  4703145779_c6d29129b0_m.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  27.1 KB
    1980 CB750K

Bike
    The BAT - Badly abused twister
    Region
    Gauteng

Nice one, definately worth restoring a classic like that.
    Pity you in durbs, the guys at Randburg cycles have refurbished alot of old Hondas, they would be worth having a chat to if you ever up in Egoli.

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

ya i'm a little on my own here (origionally from PTA), heard about a guy that is a CB boffin on the south coast (think scotburgh) will be getting the number next week. but i found an international forum that focuses specifically on the DOHC hondas 1979 - 1983. and they are all about restoriing them, and tested upgrades and stuff. that has been immensely helpful!

origional idea was a project bike, so tinkering is the fun bit right now, itching to ride it but just tinkering for now!
    1980 CB750K

Scooter Wannabe Daredevil Ruari's Avatar
    Bike
    Blackbird.
    Region
    Western Cape

Well worth restoring, keep us updated
    It's all about energy

Bike
    An old Harley (Lucille), a R80GS & some Hondas
    Region
    Gauteng

Hey, nice to see another one. I am busy refurbishing a bike just like yours. I currently have four projects on the go, and have decided to focus on one at a time if I ever want to finish anything, so the Honda project has taken a bit of a back seat for now. See here;

http://www.kcandjen.za.net/HondaCB750K.html

Thanks for the link to that forum. I think I will join because I still need lots of advice!

Cheers

KC

Bike
    1987 - FJ1200 "Edwina"
    Region
    Gauteng

Nice one ! Looking forwards to watching the progress ! You might want to think about swapping the left fork bottom end for a CB750F part - that one came out with two front disks. ;) Most CB750K's I recall from that era had that mod ...
    In retrospect, the future looks quite promising ...

Bike
    1987 - FJ1200 "Edwina"
    Region
    Gauteng

My appologies - I just saw the high res pics in your link and see you've all ready got twin front disks !

By the way, may I suggest you keep the Kleen green for washing dishes, and get some Prepsol - that REALLY works well ! (Without being too harsh, like Jetclean etc.)
    In retrospect, the future looks quite promising ...

Bike
    Honducati
    Region
    Western Cape

Nice to see someone working on the older bikes,here's a link to elec. supplies that I use.they are in CT but they might have a place near you or the might deliver to ND: http://www.sparxx.co.za/index.php?cPath=608_48_75

This is one of my quotes if I can get it attached :,,,,,Sorry everything has changed in the attachment section but check out the site,they will send you a quote,,,Wurth also sells all the connectors and fuse boxes but you have to buy in bulk.Boch also has them but I think you'll be paying for the name and not the product.
    I also have shop manuals if you need any info

Anthony

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by oldman prof View Post
    Nice to see someone working on the older bikes,here's a link to elec. supplies that I use.they are in CT but they might have a place near you or the might deliver to ND: http://www.sparxx.co.za/index.php?cPath=608_48_75

This is one of my quotes if I can get it attached :,,,,,Sorry everything has changed in the attachment section but check out the site,they will send you a quote,,,Wurth also sells all the connectors and fuse boxes but you have to buy in bulk.Boch also has them but I think you'll be paying for the name and not the product.
    I also have shop manuals if you need any info

Anthony
    ah anthony thank you soo much for that link. i have been looking for a local place to get hold of those plugs. i'll contact them on monday. just to get prices, the finances are a little tight, but it would be good to know, maybe they'll even ship the stuff here!

it is so cool to find local guys that also love these bikes AND work on the themselves.
    1980 CB750K

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by KCS View Post
    Hey, nice to see another one. I am busy refurbishing a bike just like yours. I currently have four projects on the go, and have decided to focus on one at a time if I ever want to finish anything, so the Honda project has taken a bit of a back seat for now. See here;

http://www.kcandjen.za.net/HondaCB750K.html

Thanks for the link to that forum. I think I will join because I still need lots of advice!

Cheers

KC
    WHAT A FIND! man that that is a clean looking bike. and up country you wont really have any rust either!

very nice!
    1980 CB750K

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by Californiaman View Post
    ah anthony thank you soo much for that link. i have been looking for a local place to get hold of those plugs. i'll contact them on monday. just to get prices, the finances are a little tight, but it would be good to know, maybe they'll even ship the stuff here!

it is so cool to find local guys that also love these bikes AND work on the themselves.

thank you for lett me on to Sparxx.co.za I payed them a vist last week while i was in Capte town and got great service great prices. i'm happy!
    1980 CB750K

Bike
    ǝʞıqɹoʇoɯ
    Region
    Gauteng

Have fun. This site really got me wanting a CB750 project http://www.cb750cafe.com/ just never found the right bike.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari

Bike
    Honducati
    Region
    Western Cape

I found a dedicated Honda 750four supply store,who remembers the K0,1969:http://www.yamiya750e.com/index.php?...e=products_new

Bike
    Honda Varadero "Sliver Shadow"
    Region
    North West

I know of a nice CB650 Custom that is currently available, pm or call me for details

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by Transalp View Post
    I know of a nice CB650 Custom that is currently available, pm or call me for details
    that would be really cool thanks, but the 750 is taking long due to some financial constraints - i'm doing it on grocery money... so to keep the peace in the house this one needs to be running first...
    1980 CB750K

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

ok i thought i would put some pics up here of some of the stuff that i've done. i work in a hospital repairing the medical equipment and with the strike going i am having so much "me time" at work that i'm making good progress...

this is the bike:

there are plenty interesting little things that need attention here is two - the dent and the colour:

i have cleaned the carbs twice (don't ask) let just say it twice and now i have a fuel filter...ops::

i found the head light box in 3 pieces held together with insulation tape and some blobs of epoxy ground it out and repaired it properly and then repainted:

did the same with the speedo cluster covers, saw they were cracked so i fixed and paineted in the same way here is a shot of the cover after the repair is finished:

i'm currenly busy with the wiring loom and i have cleaned all the connectors. 20 minute soak in a salt and vinegar solution and then neutralised with bicarb solution: here are the results:

i have also scrubbed the wires in the loom and will be wraping it again today. i'm planning to use an old bicycle tube and then wrap it with the tape.

as you can see everything is very low budget and diy but it is fun. it will not end in a showpiece but the bike will be neat. hope you enjoyed that.

if you want to see some more pics with more detail you are welcome to go see it on flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/5101575...7624282081482/ i'll try and keep it a bit more updated here...
    1980 CB750K

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Ok its been a while. after cleaning all the contacts on the loom i put that back and i replaced the spark units (some guys call them CDI's but there are no capacitors in this bikes system - i'm just being technical) oh the story about the spark units. cheapest i could find them locally was R400 each and you need 2. they are no longer made so it is secondhand or nothing. so i found some in the us. the giys shipped them to my gate for under R300 for both! we are so being ripped of by our own countrymen!

anyway. i also installed a relay inbetween the battery and the coils using the old coil wires as a trigger, now instead of 11.5V i have clean 12V on the coils. much better spark! so she runs! at last still need to do a little adjustment on the clutch because that is not really right yet, but close.

one of the side cover knobs were also broken so i fabricated some with some nilon off cuts i found at work. i had to cut them off myself though... works nicely. a little more work required there and then i need to remove a dent in the tank! not completely sure about the aproach that i'll apply there but that is for later.

this is my first bike and it scares the crap out of me, so i asked a mate of mine to help me, heis an ardened rider (used to own a harley shop around here) he said he'll take me to a parking lot just to get the feel for this bike! give me some pointers and the like! don't want to put the thing down on my first ride...

jsut so you know...
    1980 CB750K

Bike
    "Oh my Little Honda 50, she's rapid and she's nifty ..."
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Californiaman View Post
    this is my first bike and ...
    I think it's really cool that your first bike is a classic that you're restoring with your own two hands. Much respect.

Bike
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

Quote Originally Posted by happyogre View Post
    I think it's really cool that your first bike is a classic that you're restoring with your own two hands. Much respect.
    thanks.
    1980 CB750K

Bike
    Honda E-Storm
    Region
    Western Cape

Any updates?