Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Help please!

  1. #1
    Hooligan Biker Lieb Liebenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    BMW R 1150 R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    182

    Comment Help please!

    To all the smart people out there-is it possible to fit ABS on afterwards?If so ,is there any lying around?Please help!ThksBy the way,I have an 2006 R1150R.
    AKA Impi

  2. #2
    "Master Yoda". Banditman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East London
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Fitting ABS to your bike should be straightforward. It'll probably be pricey as well.

    You'll need all the electrickery gizmos, the fittings for the wheel rims etc. etc. and BMW's never been on the cheap side of the street. You're highly unlikely to find a complete system for the 1150R lying around unless the bike's been written off (which wouldn't be easy because the R has never been a common model here like the S or GS).

    I have to ask why you're wanting ABS? The R series have always had very good brakes which give great feedback, and from the 1150 onwards were servo assisted. If it was me I wouldn't worry, rather getting the next BMW I bought with ABS already fitted as standard.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.


  3. #3
    Hooligan Biker Lieb Liebenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    BMW R 1150 R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    182

    Talking

    Can not afford a new bike now and the bike only has 20 000 km's on now.I want ABS as the rear brake locks up too easily.
    AKA Impi

  4. #4
    Evil Biker Scum smotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Bike
    1987 - FJ1200 "Edwina"
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    4,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lieb Liebenberg View Post
    Can not afford a new bike now and the bike only has 20 000 km's on now.I want ABS as the rear brake locks up too easily.
    You should be using less effort on the rear brake and more on the front. Ideally, the front brake takes care of 70% of the braking, and the rear 30%. Obviously, this can adapt according to conditions, but 70/30 should cover 95% of conditions you're likely to be in with normal road riding. For the other 5%, I can only recommend you do some proper riding training. Lady Fortune favours the prepared ...
    In retrospect, the future looks quite promising ...

  5. #5
    Hooligan Biker Lieb Liebenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    BMW R 1150 R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    182

    Thumbs up

    Thanks guys!
    AKA Impi

  6. #6
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lieb Liebenberg View Post
    To all the smart people out there-is it possible to fit ABS on afterwards?If so ,is there any lying around?Please help!ThksBy the way,I have an 2006 R1150R.
    A year ago we wanted to buy a demo model 800ST without ABS. We were told that fitting it as aftermarket is not really possible and it would be extremely expensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lieb Liebenberg View Post
    Can not afford a new bike now and the bike only has 20 000 km's on now.I want ABS as the rear brake locks up too easily.
    Don't stomp on it like you would on a All Black rugby pleayer at the bottom of a scrum. Imagine a raw egg between the brake pedal and your foot.

  7. #7
    the EGO theRéhann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Die Platteland
    Bike
    A big duallie, please
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    11,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smotter View Post
    You should be using less effort on the rear brake and more on the front. Ideally, the front brake takes care of 70% of the braking, and the rear 30%. Obviously, this can adapt according to conditions, but 70/30 should cover 95% of conditions you're likely to be in with normal road riding. For the other 5%, I can only recommend you do some proper riding training. Lady Fortune favours the prepared ...
    Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Don't stomp on it like you would on a All Black rugby pleayer at the bottom of a scrum. Imagine a raw egg between the brake pedal and your foot.
    Shockingly, I have to agree with these old guys. Rather work on your braking technique and you can NEVER ride too well, so training is the best way to make your bike safer.

    20 000 km on that bike is absolutely nothing, kind of a collector's item. Don't fiddle around with it by adding ABS. And on an older model like that it will be shockingly expensive to fit - if at all possible.

    My first BMW was an 1150 GS that had ABS and my second was a 1200 GS Adventure without ABS. It takes some getting used to, but you can live with it.
    O Captain! My Captain! ...
    ... But I, with silent tread, Walk the spot my Captain lies, Fallen cold and dead.

    In loving memory of our Buccaneer: Brian Cannoo 1962 - 2008


  8. #8
    Hooligan Biker Lieb Liebenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Bike
    BMW R 1150 R
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    182

    Thumbs up

    Thanks you all-I am a biker for 28 years and just thought that I must do what I can to stay alive in traffic-but after so many good words ,I will do extra training and I really love my BM!
    AKA Impi

  9. #9
    Budah
    Guest

    Default

    Posted via Mobile Device Surprisingly, I could never comprehend this 30/70 percent back vs front brake - untill I started applying it. Now, my back brake is reserved for when I wanna slide me backwheel to skid some some of dem wet Cape doctor's drizzling onto da spietkoppes boots ...

  10. #10
    "Master Yoda". Banditman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East London
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S, Honda CBX250, Yamaha YBR125, Suzuki GN125 'tracker, '68 Honda CB450K1
    Region
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    I'm still surprised by the number of experienced riders I get for training who don't know how to use their brakes properly.

    There's no subsitute for training, and being in Gauteng you've got the blessing of having some good riding schools. Have a look under the "Rider Training" section & give them a few calls.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •