Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bikers & Motorcyclists, the difference is...

Bike
    Bandit
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
    Why not? Does this mean bikers can not read and write?

No, probably not; but that there are some who act like old women with wet panties is also true. Party van die fokkers hou van die klank van hul eie stemme , aldus die elle-lange relase wat hulle tik.

In my first year of Psychology, many days ago ... make that decades, I was tought people are basically pack animals. We like to stick together in a group. It seems the Prof had it all wrong. We prefer to say:

I am one of 50 million South Africans, excluding the 10 million illegal immigrants because I am a legal citizen, excluding the 35 million blacks because I am white, excluding the 3 million whites of other nations because I am Afrikaans, excluding the 1 million members of other churches because I am DR, excluding 400 000 that did not attend my university because I am a PUK, excluding everone who ride a car because I ride a bike, excluding all motorcyclists because I am a biker, excluding all the Harley and BMW bikers because I ride a Suzuki, excluding the in-line four Suzuki bikers because I ride a V-Twin, excluding .... hey wait! There is only one person on this planet .... ME!

Die probleem is nie regtig met die totale deursnee mensdom nie, maar is bleikbaar 'n "phenomenon" wat goed vas-klou aan wit Suid Afrikaaners.

It seems that white SA's are hell bent on breaking the homogeneous mold and are intent on living a heterogeneous lifestyle. I.e. allways wanting to be better than the Jones' and always wanting to know better than the next person.

Why, oh why must we always find a way to make a small group even smaller and then find some way to make one group seem more important than the other.

Want hier is 'n paar flokken slim knapies wat vanuit die veiligheid van hulle sleutelborde deligeer en probeer regeer - but hardly have the knowledge, experience or charisma to fool even a standard two kid.

Just like some other said, I ride a bike. I love it enough that I couldn't care less what you choose to call me. I like calling myself a biker in here, but to be honest, that is purely because it is way easier to spell and type than motorcyclist.

As per one of my previous comments, there are too many people with "issues" here. I am me and I could not care what the hell other people call me on what "label" the hang on me. I am ME and I ride a bike - live with it.

You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know.

Bike
    1200GS Adventure, S1000RR
    Region
    Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    when people give there word I beleive them as the word is the bond, but if the word thay made is not kept than that person is lower than S**t and they are not worthy of any respect in any way
    absolutely!!!

Grammar Nazi (wish I was a biker). 747's Avatar
    Bike
    BMW K1200RS; K1200S; Sym Jet14 200; TVS Apache 180
    Region
    Gauteng

Default Bikers & Motorcyclists, the difference is...

[QUOTE=Beachbum;520631]Tell that to those who call themselves Bikers....they are very proud of that title, and therfore protect it, if you dont walk the talk, then you are not one.[/QUOTE]

Just discussing this thread with my wife. Her take on it is "'bikers' are posers who don't bath" (just a paraphrase - that means, I re-wrote what she said using my own words in order to make it more polite).

I responded to her, "Not only is there the difference between bikers and motorcyclists, there are also 'true Bikers', nogal."

I once read that the average income of Harley owners in the US is US$73,000. That is a 'high-income' level. So much so for the "using ingenuity and spit to put my bike together." These guys are well-oiled with greenbacks. So if riding a cruiser (sans helmet) with the finger raised towards society makes one a biker then the reality is quite different.
    I mean, how many brain cells does it take to swear, drink a lot, and put someone in hospital... there are people on the Cape Flats who do that everyday and no one calls them 'bikers'.

Okay, with due respect to the brothers who call themselves "(true)-bikers"
    I think these notions of the post-war dudes (ie. WW2) on their street fighters is long gone. It's pitiful to have to live your life in the past.

Also, part of the so-called biker's code reads like a Nancy Drew book my 11 year-old son can relate to. But that is my opinion and perhaps it shud be smacked out of me. As opposed to a fantasy world, I prefer to live in the real world, one where there is crime, the global climate is changing with Eskom's help, and my kid needs orthondistry.

Whatever FLOATS your boat, call yourself whatever you like and obey whatever "codes" you like.

I'm grown up now, and it doesn't matter what someone CALLS me (as long as I earn more money than they do!) And I've been called far, far worse, than a motorcyclist, you know .

As a human being, if someone is stopped on the side of the rode, I stop if it is safe to do so and help if I can. I don't need a "code" to tell me to do that.

If it makes someone feel important to make the distinction between different types of bikers then so be it.
    (I don't have to LIKE everyone on a bike either!)

If not bathing makes you a rebel, so be it.

If you feel you need to diss my BMW so you feel better about your 1981 rat bike, so be it.

I DON'T need to feel better than someone else based on whether they bath or not, what bike they ride, or what codes they live by.
    If it works for you, cool bananas, and good luck.

In my community, there are no such distinctions, BTW. If you're a brother biker you are a brother. There are no (black) motorcyclists and (black) bikers or even (black) true bikers. Everyone is a biker. Fullstop.

To be honest, I would rather have it this way.
    In the final analysis, I don't give a flying fkcu what labels you choose for yourself. Biker/motorcyclist/ true biker...

I have heard that in some BMW circles it is really very important to ride the latest model... same arrogance as guys who make distinctions between bikers/mc /true bikers, only now your self-esteem increases with more money rather than less.

I'm a die-hard non-conformist... so no tatoos or piercings for me!
    It's all a bit of a brain-wank in my opinion.
    It's not how fast you can ride --- it's how fast you can STOP!

Bike
    Bandit 1200/2xDR650SE/GSR600
    Region
    Western Cape

As for myself, the friends I have already met from various clubs, makes it so much moer difficult to join any given club.....

As A biker.....Respect and brotherhood...club or no club. I'll always be available to a biker buddy.

And this is so true.....

Rules, Regulations.... Just remember that you CAN NOT force Respect....You EARN IT.
    By earning respect, you enforce your Rules and regulations....

I Am a BIKER
    ‎"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.
    ~ Elvis Presley

Bike
    Honda Varadero "Sliver Shadow"
    Region
    North West

A biker rides a bike.

A motorcyclist rides a bike

A delivery rider rides a bike

Whats the difference -- None

We are all Bikers
    https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i..._00/Bucc-1.jpg

Why arn't YOU an Organ, Blood, Bone Marrow or Platelet Donor? That is Saving Lives!!!
    www.odf.org.za www.sanbs.org.za www.sunflowerfund.org.za

Nuon Fangirl

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Transalp View Post
    A biker rides a bike.

We are all Bikers
    +1000

Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng

Talking

A biker rides a bike.

We are all Bikers
    True to a certain extent and in basic terms, yes.

It's the mindset and attitudes that make the difference in my mind and in my opinion. ... if you cannot see it, then you're a motorcyclist
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

Deanie Poo
    Bike
    Two wheels and a motor
    Region
    Western Cape

From a very sincere point of view...

I thank everyone for being individuals, because if we were all the same this world would be very boring. I thank you for your insight, your advice and your ideas, keep them coming. I know you have the ideals and goals of THINKBIKE at heart, and know that in the end the 1 person on a bike who has never heard of THINKBIKE will more than likely be the beneficiary of our hard work.
    And in the big scheme of things, we did good, all of us.

So hope to see you all around, its been interesting to say the least.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend, stay safe...

BB
    Discovery Financial Consultant
    Vital Consult Financial Services
    Cell: 0828203178
    Email: dean@vitalconsult.co.za

Bike
    BMW F650GS; Eurotrac
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    Normally I don't care either way. But if I really want to know if someone is a biker or a motorcyclist I will greet them friendly - and then tip their bike over.
    That way I know, depending if I find myself in court or in hospital.
    AND declare yourself to be a biker!

Go bikers go! I'll creep up behind you on my little china-doll buzz bike and enjoy the show! Then I'll tiptoe away ....
    Light your flame - Live your passion

commuting motorcyclist Richardvz's Avatar
    Bike
    The G for the S of the 650 kind
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
    From a very sincere point of view...

I thank everyone for being individuals, because if we were all the same this world would be very boring. I thank you for your insight, your advice and your ideas, keep them coming. I know you have the ideals and goals of THINKBIKE at heart, and know that in the end the 1 person on a bike who has never heard of THINKBIKE will more than likely be the beneficiary of our hard work.
    And in the big scheme of things, we did good, all of us.

So hope to see you all around, its been interesting to say the least.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend, stay safe...

BB

Hey did you hit the Copy-Paste button?
    Nothing is more terrible than to see ignorance in action.
    Goethe

Bike
    Triumph Tiger1050
    Region
    Gauteng

Disussing the difference between hardcore and the not so hardcore, on a BB . . yeah right, its a place where the most occupants are IT geeks . . .

I ride everyday, I dont have a car right now as it make no financial sense. The blokes I occusionally ride with, dont attend rallies, dont belong to some club and in general hold some professional position. All ride because its fun and in many cases make a lot more sense using a bike.

"Spineless motorcycle" wonder how many of the TB clan are actually office jockeys . . .

Does it matter . . I like bikes as much as the next oke. All those things real bikers like to do, cool, go for it, somebody prolly needs to do it, I will stay at home and keep the girls company. . . . :wink:

Bike
    Honda Varadero "Sliver Shadow"
    Region
    North West

A biker rides a bike.

We are all Bikers
    Quote Originally Posted by DaCat View Post
    True to a certain extent and in basic terms, yes.

It's the mindset and attitudes that make the difference in my mind and in my opinion. ... if you cannot see it, then you're a motorcyclist
    I hear you Catman, the point I was trying to make is that we are all basically the same but the "old School" bikers live Honour, Respect and Truthfulness etc etc.

If you go back a decade or so, any biker would greet any other biker on the road. Today hardly any one greets, even the hardcore bikers.

The brotherhood of bikers is becoming smaller and more club level instead of one for all and all for one.

Maybe I'm just getting old?
    https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i..._00/Bucc-1.jpg

Why arn't YOU an Organ, Blood, Bone Marrow or Platelet Donor? That is Saving Lives!!!
    www.odf.org.za www.sanbs.org.za www.sunflowerfund.org.za

Has a Pink Fetish warlock_yzfR6's Avatar
    Bike
    yamaha yzfR6 (Guinevere)
    Region
    KwaZulu-Natal

This thread is still farking going? EVERYONE WHO RIDES A MOTORCYCLE IS A BIKER IN SOMEONE ELSE'S EYES,its a loosely used term over glamourised by lame hollywood movies. The f*cking delivery boys are more biker than anyone as its there JOB to ride a motorcycle!! Now get over yourselves and pull yourselves together dammit.

Bike
    Suzuki GS 750G
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I've met very few who ascribe/fulfil the "criteria" below:

All right, now let's review.
    You are a biker, a modern-day knight of the road.
    Protect the weak, walk tall and stand proud.
    Your word is your bond.
    Stick to your guns.
    Don't take any ****.
    Life is not a drill.

Strangely enough, the majority of people I've met who DO fulfil/ascribe to these "criteria" would be classified by the aforementioned "bikers" as "mototcyclists".
    See now that is what I believe and try to uphold (along with the values of TB), but then some people turn around and call me a motorcyclist and they define a biker by someon who is fulla cr@p, "hardcore", looking for a fight, "macho" etc. So this is where my confusion came in.
    At the end of the day I think everyone has their own view and opinion about what a biker is and what a motorcyclist, for me there is no difference as I see no point in trying to create a devide between people who ride bikes, there are enough people doing that in every other part of life thank you very much.
    I ride a bike, say what you want, call me what you want, I do what I want how I want!!
    Bravery is being the only person who knows you're scared!

Whatever doesn't kill me ....... had better strat running

Bike
    Suzuki GS 750G
    Region
    Gauteng

A biker rides a bike.

We are all Bikers

The delivery guy has a purpose in life
    The delivery guy get paid to ride (the b@stard guy)

Bike
    2012 YZF-R1 MotoGP 50th Anniversary Edition (Sheldon)
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by Richardvz View Post
    hAHAHAHA

Now I have to change my Books' name...

Darn....

Just when it is a the printers...

The Commuting Motorbikercyclerist!
    Fixed..

Bike
    Bike-loos
    Region
    Gauteng

jeez people. If you want to be a biker, be one. Ir Rich wants to be a motorcyclist, let him be. IF you ride on 2 wheels, you are okay in my book. We are not going to convince anybody otherwise.
    I love the RUMBLING EARTHSHATTERING sound of my V-TWIN!!!!!

Bike
    Suzuki GS 750G
    Region
    Gauteng

Quote Originally Posted by SV MAD View Post
    jeez people. If you want to be a biker, be one. Ir Rich wants to be a motorcyclist, let him be. IF you ride on 2 wheels, you are okay in my book. We are not going to convince anybody otherwise.