Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 121

Thread: Why do we moderate ........

  1. #81
    Ultimate Biker DaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jo'burg Souf
    Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    17,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    You have to moderate because the "biker" attitudes are encouraged.

    It really is simple.

    And these 1%ers don't respond to anything BUT force.


    There are no 1%'ers here :roll: :roll: :roll:
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

  2. #82
    Deanie Poo
    Beachbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Bike
    Two wheels and a motor
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    From a very sincere point of view...

    I thank everyone for being individuals, because if we were all the same this world would be very boring. I thank you for your insight, your advice and your ideas, keep them coming. I know you have the ideals and goals of THINKBIKE at heart, and know that in the end the 1 person on a bike who has never heard of THINKBIKE will more than likely be the beneficiary of our hard work.
    And in the big scheme of things, we did good, all of us.

    So hope to see you all around, its been interesting to say the least.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend, stay safe...

    BB
    Discovery Financial Consultant
    Vital Consult Financial Services
    Cell: 0828203178
    Email: dean@vitalconsult.co.za

  3. #83
    Evil Biker Scum Think Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Onderstepoort
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
    ....When he gets to TB, he sees all this kark being bantered about and he might think to himself....these guys are just a bunch of crazy bikers....why should i donate R50 000 to them, they will probably **** it against the wall.
    Ill give it to someone who really needs it.

    And so we loose a massive cash injection because we condoned the use of slightly porno style avatars and sexually orientated banter.

    Do you think its worth it..???
    Are we to allow this so as to keep the forum entertaining, and in the process slit TB"S throat......??
    Just a thought...

    IMHO, a sponsor that's going to get his knickers in a knot over the use of an avatar or a nick is like a CEO that has an issue with what the office cleaner wears.

    Honestly? We need sponsors that are dedicated to the cause, product sales or not, profit or not.

    If it were me, I'd much rather have a sponsor give R100 because he believes in the cause and knows his audience, than have a sponsor give R100 000 that would try and wield a sword of manipulation in pettiness, have no clue what forums are about and most probably never took part in banter south of intellectual stimulation...just for fun. Vice Versa is patently also likely.

    With respect and No offense. Now really, do we need to accept sponsorship just because it's available and/or punted?

    Ultimately, sponsor investment is done via the formal route....with a TB Disclaimer that reads:

    "Think Bike is a non-profit organization and the content on this website is maintained independently by our members. Think Bike can therefore not accept liability for any content published on this site."

    , is it not?

    Are we not too touchy regarding sponsorships?
    Are we not assuming sponsors don't know how disclaimers work?
    Are we not hesitant sponsors don't know how OUR disclaimer works?
    Are we not speculating on behalf of potential sponsors?

    A Cautionery Note: If anything on the forum would be taken seriously by a sponsor, then it would be any untoward interaction of the TB committee and NPO management, as contributors on the forum itself. Forum members are just people, management is where sponsor money is at.

    If I were a sponsor, I'd get some of my intel partly from the forum and watch the management closely to monitor for early warning signs that my investment may be going down the toilet...or not. What's the bet that even current sponsors do that as surely as I type this....as surely as Boere Wors has more than one meaning?

    For anyone to see eye-to-eye, we would all need critical thinking skills, sponsors included.



    A Criticall Thinker:
    • uses evidence skillfully and impartially
    • organizes thoughts and articulates them concisely and coherently
    • distinguishers between logically valid and invalid inferences
    • suspends judgment in the absence of sufficient evidence to support a decision
    • understands the difference between reasoning and rationalizing
    • attempts to anticipate the probable consequences of alternative actions
    • understands the idea of degrees of belief
    • sees similarities and analogies that are not superficially apparent
    • can learn independently and has an abiding interest in doing so
    • applies problem-solving techniques in domains other than those in which learned
    • can structure informally represented problems in such a way that formal techniques, such as mathematics, can be used to solve them
    • can strip a verbal argument of irrelevancies and phrase it in its essential terms
    • habitually questions one's own views and attempts to understand both the assumptions that are critical to those views and the implications of the views
    • is sensitive to the difference between the validity of a belief and the intensity with which it is held
    • is aware of the fact that one's understanding is always limited, often much more so than would be apparent to one with a noninquiring attitude
    • recognizes the fallibility of one's own opinions, the probability of bias in those opinions, and the danger of weighting evidence according to personal preferences


    "Everybody, my friend, everybody lives for something better to come. That's why we want to be considerate of every man; Who knows what's in him, why he was born and what he can do?" ~ Maxim Gorky ~

  4. #84
    Deanie Poo
    Beachbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Bike
    Two wheels and a motor
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    R100 buys us 25 stickers....lets say
    R100 000 buys us 25000 stickers....lets say


    Which option one has better chance of saving just 1 life??

    You choose.
    Discovery Financial Consultant
    Vital Consult Financial Services
    Cell: 0828203178
    Email: dean@vitalconsult.co.za

  5. #85
    Nuon Fangirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    39,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum
    ....When he gets to TB, he sees all this kark being bantered about
    and he might think to himself....these guys are just a bunch of
    crazy bikers....why should i donate R50 000 to them, they will probably **** it against the wall. Ill give it to someone who really needs it.

    And so we loose a massive cash injection because we condoned the
    use of slightly porno style avatars and sexually orientated banter.

    Do you think its worth it..???
    Are we to allow this so as to keep the forum entertaining, and in
    the process slit TB"S throat......??
    What you do, is you also show him the Marshalls Forum and the Support Forum. You show him the 94.7 Cycle threads and the OutSurance thread. You point him to the Bernadine funeral thread and the Gay Pride marshalling thread. CEO's are CEO's instead of unemployed because they can see the bigger picture with better clarity than most.

    You show the CEO what this bunch of of crazy bikers can and will do when the need is there.

  6. #86
    Evil Biker Scum Think Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Onderstepoort
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
    R100 buys us 25 stickers....lets say
    R100 000 buys us 25000 stickers....lets say


    Which option one has better chance of saving just 1 life??

    You choose.
    How many of the 25 000 are on the sponsor's own vehicle fleet, company cars....his own personal vehicle? Does he need to justify what he wants to do with the stickers or do we assume he will deal with it as intended? Do we get feedback as to the actual "stick-on's" or do we assume that 25 000 messages will be delivered, assuming a set pattern in our stats? Do we give feedback that XYZ company is a sponsor and that stickers will be available there? Cane we distinguish a get-my-foot-in-the-door sponsor from a true campaign believer, diplomatically of course? Is awareness monitored in the sponsor's territory to gauge the efficacy of his distribution? Do we up-sell other TB products like vests to the same sponsor, and if there's resistance do we analyse why? Do we get more "awareness hits" from one avenue only, like the stickers or do vests pique interest in stickers too? Do we have a credit line or backlink on the sponsor's website? Do we have "package deals" like a vest plus sticker? Do we have awareness incentives like "show us the sticker on your bike and get the second sticker free" or "trade in your old vest and get the new one at a discount" or "recruit a member and get R10 off your forum membership"? ....just some stuff I wonder about n'all

    I tend to agree with Jamie Fox: "Strive for excellence - perfection is God's business."

    Either could be good choice - it depends whether the sticker is traded as a commodity or whether it's a passionate safety awareness message. At volume, chances are slimmer that the originally intended message will prevail throughout the distribution downline where the critical TB message is delivered.

    Stickers don't save lives, just as marriage certificates don't save marriages - people do. Their own beliefs, intentions and perceptions do.

    Sponsor 1: "That'll be R 12.50, please."

    Sponsor 2: "Listen Dude, now stick this where people can see it and spread the word...and before I forget, thanks for riding responsibly. We need more okes like you!".

    Just as Armani can be worn by Prince(Symbol), it could be worn by Prince Charles or Prince of Thieves MC. Stickers are not much different. It's where it's stuck that makes the difference in attitude, perception, beliefs....hopefully.

    Keep up the good work BB!


    "Everybody, my friend, everybody lives for something better to come. That's why we want to be considerate of every man; Who knows what's in him, why he was born and what he can do?" ~ Maxim Gorky ~

  7. #87
    Evil Biker Scum EyeCandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Be No Ni Be Don Derd Wees
    Bike
    Grand Dink 250
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Think Tank View Post
    ... just as marriage certificates don't save marriages ...
    so is that why there isn't an expiry date on mine!
    Just smile n wave boys, just smile n wave...

    https://picasaweb.google.com/ThinkBikePhotos/

  8. #88
    Evil Biker Scum Think Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Onderstepoort
    Bike
    waiting
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCandi View Post
    so is that why there isn't an expiry date on mine!
    Yip.

    Marriage is much like milk, really. You can have spilt milk, sour milk, you can have cream or sour cream, you can make butter and you can make cheese...you can even have a little or a lot of everything.

    ...with all the time in the world to do it in.

    When you get your marriage licence it's impossible to determine what you'll develop a taste for...


    "Everybody, my friend, everybody lives for something better to come. That's why we want to be considerate of every man; Who knows what's in him, why he was born and what he can do?" ~ Maxim Gorky ~

  9. #89
    Evil Biker Scum EyeCandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Be No Ni Be Don Derd Wees
    Bike
    Grand Dink 250
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Think Tank View Post
    Yip.

    Marriage is much like milk, really. You can have spilt milk, sour milk, you can have cream or sour cream, you can make butter and you can make cheese...you can even have a little or a lot of everything.

    ...with all the time in the world to do it in.

    When you get your marriage licence it's impossible to determine what you'll develop a taste for...
    more than likely ... alcohol!!!
    Just smile n wave boys, just smile n wave...

    https://picasaweb.google.com/ThinkBikePhotos/

  10. #90
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6 #2
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaCat View Post


    There are no 1%'ers here :roll: :roll: :roll:

    Yes, you're right. No real bikers, just a bunch of wannabes.

  11. #91
    Ultimate Biker DaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jo'burg Souf
    Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    17,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Yes, you're right. No real bikers, just a bunch of wannabes.
    You would know
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

  12. #92
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6 #2
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    The inability of think bike to accept criticism, is it's second greatest failing.

    The bad boy bull**** and arrogance displayed on this forum is it's greatest.

    Think Bike is failing, fast, and pretty denials don't wash. DC, get over it. Your "thank you for leaving" attitude has chased many valuable people away, but you don't care, right?

    Sarge, thanks for speaking your mind.

  13. #93
    Mad Scientist SV MAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midrand
    Bike
    Bike-loos
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    3,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The inability of think bike to accept criticism, is it's second greatest failing.

    The bad boy bull**** and arrogance displayed on this forum is it's greatest.

    Think Bike is failing, fast, and pretty denials don't wash. DC, get over it. Your "thank you for leaving" attitude has chased many valuable people away, but you don't care, right?

    Sarge, thanks for speaking your mind.
    very true. Points to ponder on!
    I love the RUMBLING EARTHSHATTERING sound of my V-TWIN!!!!!

  14. #94
    commuting motorcyclist Richardvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fourways
    Bike
    The G for the S of the 650 kind
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    11,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The inability of think bike to accept criticism, is it's second greatest failing.
    What are you talking about?

    I think the committee's ability to accept criticism is amazing. They accept criticism, and on several occasions have said that if you have something to suggest. Email them and it will be considered. The fact that nobody (and I am sure including yourself) has not yet done that - then one cannot blame the committee can one?

    Mmmmm....

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The bad boy bull**** and arrogance displayed on this forum is it's greatest.
    Every single Forum in the world has it. Get over it. Even the prescious Twisted Riders...

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Think Bike is failing, fast, and pretty denials don't wash.
    OMG! Fecause a few people threw their bras around the forum, TB is failing? Oh please...get with the programme...

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    DC, get over it. Your "thank you for leaving" attitude has chased many valuable people away, but you don't care, right?
    No comment - but you do have a point. Never looked at it that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Sarge, thanks for speaking your mind.
    Now THERE is something I can agree with you on.

    And I would like to add to it.

    To all those people who believed we can't lose sponsors and supporters because of this forum.

    We just have.

    Well done people. :roll:
    Nothing is more terrible than to see ignorance in action.
    — Goethe

  15. #95
    HoppaLong Catastrophe
    Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In My Skin
    Bike
    ...
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    5,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richardvz View Post
    Every single Forum in the world has it. Get over it. Even the prescious Twisted Riders...

  16. #96
    commuting motorcyclist Richardvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fourways
    Bike
    The G for the S of the 650 kind
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    11,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    What are you really trying to say?
    Nothing is more terrible than to see ignorance in action.
    — Goethe

  17. #97
    Ultimate Biker DaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jo'burg Souf
    Bike
    Ducrapi look alike... Aprilia with an oil leak
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    17,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The inability of think bike to accept criticism, is it's second greatest failing.

    The bad boy bull**** and arrogance displayed on this forum is it's greatest.

    Think Bike is failing, fast, and pretty denials don't wash. DC, get over it. Your "thank you for leaving" attitude has chased many valuable people away, but you don't care, right?
    ... and you're still here? :roll: ... let me know when I can thank you as well

    You speak like I am Think Bike... dude, wake up and smell the coffee... live and let live. The "holier than though" motorcyclists who believe TB is what they want it to be... if you don't ride with a plate... if you don't ride with ATGATT... if you don't adhere to speed limits... warra... warra... warra...

    ... but don't preach to me cos I don't need it nor do I want it.

    ... now even a simple name becomes an issue What's next on the agenda to complain about?
    When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense!

  18. #98
    commuting motorcyclist Richardvz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fourways
    Bike
    The G for the S of the 650 kind
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    11,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaCat View Post
    The "holier than though" motorcyclists who believe TB is what they want it to be...

    There it comes up again....

    The motorcyclist thing.

    Sometimes you speak as if bikers are "holier than thou". What makes them any better than anyone else?

    You say "live and let live" however you cast hell and damnation on what you call "motorcyclists"

    Some things I just don't get....:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Nothing is more terrible than to see ignorance in action.
    — Goethe

  19. #99
    Evil Biker Scum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Bike
    Yamaha FZ6 #2
    Region
    Gauteng
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richardvz View Post
    Every single Forum in the world has it. Get over it. Even the prescious Twisted Riders...

    OMG! Fecause a few people threw their bras around the forum, TB is failing? Oh please...get with the programme...
    WRT to the committee, i will remain silent.

    Yes, but the twisted riders, or any other forum are NOT claiming to be an all inclusive nationwide safety campaign.
    And no, some forums keep the balance right. (i wonder how?)

    And no Richard, not because of a bra throwing incident. Because of continual bra throwing incidents.

    I can also add in my opinion about TB failing. TB should be, by bikers for bikers. But no, we are more concerned about educating dumbass cagers than our own darwin candidate biker brothers. We cannot even convince people to wear gloves, yet we wish to preach to everyone else?

    Rider error remains the number one cause for motorcycle accidents!

    DC, i know nothing of the "name" that "caused" this. All i see are the same old people with the same old lines. Whatever friction obviously exists is not being dealt with.
    And whether or not you want to be told anything, does not mean something shouldn't be said. THis is a forum, expect to hear things you don't like. That applies to everyone reading this.

    I almost agree with you about the complaining, but "holier than thou" motorcyclists is what this campaign attracts, and needs.

    Either we're a safety awareness initiative, or we're whatever we were before Think Bike came along. So what is the point then?

  20. #100
    HoppaLong Catastrophe
    Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In My Skin
    Bike
    ...
    Region
    Western Cape
    Posts
    5,364

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Fox; 19-10-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: wrong FRED

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •